Spring Ceramic DM™: WINNER POSTED!

mythago

Hero
I think that's just a rule to avoid religious flamewars and debates--I know that we've had threads about Christian gamers and Judaism and gaming, so I can't imagine a story with a religious element would be a problem.

Macbeth

First Post
I hope it isn't a problem. I just finished a first draft, and I don't think it would be offensive. Plus it seems like we've had stories involving deities from other religions, and I tried to handle the topic maturely. Oh well, I'll just stick with this idea and hope it doesn't turn out to be a problem.

BSF

Explorer
I would say you are fine. My first story in this tourney referrenced the Goddess Durga. She is most certainly a Real World Religion Goddess.

Zhaneel

First Post
As is Kali, Vishnu, et al. from my second round.

OTOH, I didn't know there was a rule against religious stuff [argh so now we have a Grandma & a moritorium on RL religion].

Honestly, I think in story form, it shouldn't be a problem.

Zhaneel

BSF

Explorer
Profanity, Politics and Religion are off limits as topics. Every single time politics and religion come up, there will be somebody that gets off on an aggressive stance that makes further discussion pointless.

Sialia

First Post
How about we make a deal: Macbeth gets to deliver his story the way he wants to, and we promise not to get into an online argument about his freedom of expression?

Anybody who feels the need to sound off about religion can do so offline. Online, we discuss only the literary merits of the story.

Personally, I like a story that indicates the author has convictions or opinions about something.

BSF

Explorer
Sounds good to me. As I said, they are forbidden topics of discussion. It isn't that they are forbidden elements of story. :)

Hmm, looking back through the thread, I can see where it looks like I make remarks that could be interpreted as contradictory. I was trying to clarify that EN World does have policies on certain topics. But, I think it is safe to say that we have seen plenty of stories that include a religious element in some form (2 out of 3 stories for me in this tourney). I do appreciate Macbeth wanting to clarify though. I am looking forward to the story and if I want to discuss it on a non-literary level, I will keep it offline.

So, we know Macbeth is done with a first draft. We also know Mythago took a few moments out to "research" something she could use as smack talk. What are the chances that the stories will both be done oodles ot time early and we can read them later tonight? ;)

Macbeth

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
So, we know Macbeth is done with a first draft. We also know Mythago took a few moments out to "research" something she could use as smack talk. What are the chances that the stories will both be done oodles ot time early and we can read them later tonight? ;)
No way! I have to try to edit the heck out of this thing. There's no way I'm going to win against Mythago with my story as it stands now. But then again, maybe there's just no way I'm going to win against Mythago. ;)

Remove ads