• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SRD Competition Submission Thread

woodelf

First Post
TheRaven said:
I understand your point of view but most people want the official SRD 100% consistent. Moving around chapters and changing order is no problem but changing the text is something that shouldn't be done. If one does something like that, then I pray he'll point that out BIG TIME. I know the quirks of the 3.5 SRD in and out but other people may false edit the whole thing and I don't want to take that risk. A lot if not all people have one or more thing they do not completly understand about the 3.5 rules and you can imagine what happens if they change the text of such rules. Editing typos is the borderline of allowed changes in my view.

Here're the sorts of changes i made:
The revised SRD content:
ABILITY SCORE LOSS
Various attacks cause ability score loss, either ability damage or ability drain. Points lost to ability damage return at the rate of 1 point per day (or double that if the character gets complete bed rest) to each damaged ability, and the spells lesser restoration and restoration offset ability damage as well. Ability drain, however, is permanent, though restoration can restore even those lost ability score points.
While any loss is debilitating, losing all points in an ability score can be devastating.
• Strength 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He lies helpless on the ground.
• Dexterity 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He stands motionless, rigid, and helpless.
• Constitution 0 means that the character is dead.
• Intelligence 0 means that the character cannot think and is unconscious in a coma-like stupor, helpless.
• Wisdom 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a deep sleep filled with nightmares, helpless.
• Charisma 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, coma-like stupor, helpless.
Keeping track of negative ability score points is never necessary. A character’s ability score can’t drop below 0.
Having a score of 0 in an ability is different from having no ability score whatsoever.
Some spells or abilities impose an effective ability score reduction, which is different from ability score loss. Any such reduction disappears at the end of the spell’s or ability’s duration, and the ability score immediately returns to its former value.
If a character’s Constitution score drops, then he loses 1 hit point per Hit Die for every point by which his Constitution modifier drops. A hit point score can’t be reduced by Constitution damage or drain to less than 1 hit point per Hit Die.
The ability that some creatures have to drain ability scores is a supernatural one, requiring some sort of attack. Such creatures do not drain abilities from enemies when the enemies strike them, even with unarmed attacks or natural weapons.

Ability Score Loss (Su): Some attacks reduce the opponent’s score in one or more abilities. This loss can be temporary (ability damage) or permanent (ability drain).
Ability Damage: This attack damages an opponent’s ability score. The creature’s descriptive text gives the ability and the amount of damage. If an attack that causes ability damage scores a critical hit, it deals twice the indicated amount of damage (if the damage is expressed as a die range, roll two dice). Ability damage returns at the rate of 1 point per day for each affected ability.
Ability Drain: This effect permanently reduces a living opponent’s ability score when the creature hits with a melee attack. The creature’s descriptive text gives the ability and the amount drained. If an attack that causes ability drain scores a critical hit, it drains twice the indicated amount (if the damage is expressed as a die range, roll two dice). Unless otherwise specified in the creature’s description, a draining creature gains 5 temporary hit points (10 on a critical hit) whenever it drains an ability score no matter how many points it drains. Temporary hit points gained in this fashion last for a maximum of 1 hour.
Some ability drain attacks allow a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 draining creature’s racial HD + draining creature’s Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). If no saving throw is mentioned, none is allowed.

after editing becomes:
Ability Score Loss (Su)
Various attacks cause ability score loss, either ability damage or ability drain.
Ability Damage: This attack damages an opponent’s ability score. The creature’s descriptive text gives the ability and the amount of damage. If an attack that causes ability damage scores a critical hit, it deals twice the indicated amount of damage (if the damage is expressed as a die range, roll two dice). Ability damage returns at the rate of 1 point per day for each affected ability (or double that if the character gets complete bed rest).
Ability Drain: This effect permanently reduces a living opponent’s ability score when the creature hits with a melee attack. The creature’s descriptive text gives the ability and the amount drained. If an attack that causes ability drain scores a critical hit, it drains twice the indicated amount (if the damage is expressed as a die range, roll two dice). Unless otherwise specified in the creature’s description, a draining creature gains 5 temporary hit points (10 on a critical hit) whenever it drains an ability score no matter how many points it drains. Temporary hit points gained in this fashion last for a maximum of 1 hour.
Some ability drain attacks allow a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 draining creature’s racial HD + draining creature’s Cha modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). If no saving throw is mentioned, none is allowed.
Ability drain is permanent, though restoration can restore
even those lost ability score points.
While any loss is debilitating, losing all points in an ability score can be devastating.
• Strength 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He lies helpless on the ground.
• Dexterity 0 means that the character cannot move at all. He stands motionless, rigid, and helpless.
• Constitution 0 means that the character is dead.
• Intelligence 0 means that the character cannot think and is unconscious in a coma-like stupor, helpless.
• Wisdom 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a deep sleep filled with nightmares, helpless.
• Charisma 0 means that the character is withdrawn into a catatonic, coma-like stupor, helpless.
Keeping track of negative ability score points is never necessary. A character’s ability score can’t drop below 0.
Having a score of 0 in an ability is different from having no ability score whatsoever.
Some spells or abilities impose an effective ability score reduction, which is different from ability score loss. Any such reduction disappears at the end of the spell’s or ability’s duration, and the ability score immediately returns to its former value.
If a character’s Constitution score drops, then he loses 1 hit point per Hit Die for every point by which his Constitution modifier drops. A hit point score can’t be reduced by Constitution damage or drain to less than 1 hit point per Hit Die.
The ability that some creatures have to drain ability scores is a supernatural one, requiring some sort of attack. Such creatures do not drain abilities from enemies when the enemies strike them, even with unarmed attacks or natural weapons.

There are lots of cases where the content appears in two places in slightly different form--i condensed those. No change to the rules themselves, and, if anything, i've improved it because now everything is in one place, rather than 2/3rds of the content on a topic in one location, and a different 2/3rds in a different.

TheRaven said:
Be aware, that there are potential risks with the licenses if you edit the SRD text but my knowledge is limited with such things.

Not at all--that's the whole point of WotC's OGL. In fact, the only questionable use is to reproduce *without* changing anything. That is, while you can take the SRD's OGC text and reproduce it verbatim, it is unclear whether or not you are then allowed to include the PI declaration.

Last edited:

TheRaven

First Post
About the licenses. I'm not talking about the OGL but about the D20. Look at this for example: SRD D20 Example

This guy uses the D20 logo. Now, that shouldn't be a problem with the standart SRD but what if he adds to his SRD the way ability scores are generated? Then he would clearly be violating the D20 license. Only an example. What I'm saying is, that if you edit the content of the SRD, then better look if you are violating anything about the licenses. More so with the new version of the license, that adds the "quality standart" stuff.

woodelf

First Post
Sage said:
Woodelf, could you create a document with all your updates to the psionics system you've made?

Sage

Almost without exception, any actual changes i made went into sidebars. Those are few enough that you should be able to find them rather quickly on a cursory flip-through. Only exceptions are adding some bits to the ability descriptions, and switching Intuit Direction to Survival in a class skill list or two. Other than that, it's pretty much just reorganization--re-sorting powers to group power chains, as the spell descriptions were; combining the info on psionic and magical item creation feats; that sort of stuff. Anyway, except for the sidebar about the re-alphabetizing of power descriptions, the following should be all the additions i made (which, for the most part, are just the sidebars in question):

Abilities and Psionics
Psionics are also tied to Abilities.
However, rather than each class
having a particular Ability that
all psionic checks are based on,
each discipline has its own
Ability. A psion gets bonus power
points based on the Ability
tied to her primary discipline:
Strength for Psychometabolism,
Dexterity for Psychoportation,
Constitution for Psychokinesis,
Intelligence for Metacreativity,
Wisdom for Clairsentience, and
Charisma for Telepathy.

[in Str description]
Egoists get bonus power points based on their Strength
score. The minimum Strength score needed to manifest a
psychometabolic power is 10 + the power’s level.

[in Dex description]
Nomads get bonus power points based on their Dexterity
score. The minimum Dexterity score needed to manifest a
psychoportive power is 10 + the power’s level.

[in Con description]
Savants get bonus power points based on their Constitution
score. The minimum Constitution score needed to manifest
a psychokinetic power is 10 + the power’s level.

[in Int description]
Shapers get bonus power points based on their Intelligence
score. The minimum Intelligence score needed to manifest a
metacreative power is 10 + the power’s level.

[in Wis description]
Seers get bonus power points based on their Wisdom score.
The minimum Wisdom score needed to manifest a clairsentient
power is 10 + the power’s level.

[in Cha description]
Telepaths get bonus power points based on their Charisma
score. The minimum Charisma score needed to manifest a
telepathic power is 10 + the power’s level.

Deprecating Autohypnosis
In the spirit of consolidating very
narrow skills, you could eliminate
the Autohypnosis skill. If
you do this, add the checks
it enables to Concentration, but
only allow the psionic classes
(and maybe monks?) to use
Concentration for these purposes
(much like the special rogue-only
uses for Searth).

Concentration and Psionic Powers
All of the Concentration rules
apply to manifesting psionic
powers. Use the level of the
power just as you would the
level of a spell.

Scry vs. Remote View
With the removal of the Scry
skill, you could do the same and
remove Remote View. Simply use
the same rules for psionicists
as spellcasters, substituting manifester
level, etc., as appropriate.

Deprecating Stabilize Self
Stabilize Self is another hyperspecialized
skill that could be
folded into a broader skill. In
this case, as a special use of
Concentration, available only to
the psionic classes (and maybe
monks).

Skill Changes
The Intuit Direction skill no longer
exists, and has been replaced
by Survival in any class skill
lists in which it appears. Animal
Empathy is also no longer a skill,
which presents a problem for telepaths.
You can:
• Give them the class ability just
as druids and rangers have it.
• Let them, but no one else, use
the Animal Empathy skill.
• Drop the skill, and don’t worry
about replacing it.
See the Skills chapter for suggested
changes with Autohypnosis,
Remote View, and Stabilize
Self.

Epic Psions & Psychic Warriors
It’s not my fault – there’s no info
on epic-level psions or psychic
warriors provided. I guess you’ll
have to improvise.

Item Creation Feats
An item creation feat lets a spellcaster or psionic create
an item of a certain type. Regardless of the type of items
they involve, the various item creation feats all have certain
features in common.
XP Cost: Experience that the creator would normally keep
is expended when making a magic item. The XP cost equals
1/25 of the cost of the item in gold pieces. A character
cannot spend so much XP on an item that he or she loses
a level. However, upon gaining enough XP to attain a new
level, he or she can immediately expend XP on creating an
item rather than keeping the XP to advance a level.
Raw Materials Cost: The cost of creating a magic item
equals one-half the sale cost of the item.
Using an item creation feat also requires access to a laboratory,
or magical or psionic (as appropriate) workshop,
special tools, and so on. A character generally has access to
what he or she needs unless unusual circumstances apply.
Time: The time to create a magic item depends on the feat
and the cost of the item. The minimum time is one day.
Item Cost: Brew Potion, Craft Dorje, Craft Wand, Encode
Stone, Scribe Scroll, and Scribe Tattoo create items that
directly reproduce spell or power effects, and the strength
of these items depends on their caster or manifester level –
that is, a spell or power from such an item has the effect it
would have if cast by a spellcaster of that level. The price
of these items (and thus the XP cost and the cost of the
raw materials) also depends on the caster or manifester
level. This level must be high enough that the character
creating the item can cast the spell or manifest the power
at that level. To find the final price in each case, multiply
the caster/manifester level by the spell/power level, then
multiply the result by a constant, as shown below:
Power Stone or Scroll: Base price = spell level x caster
level x 25 gp.
Potion or Psionic Tattoo: Base price = spell level x
caster level x 50 gp.
Dorje or Wand: Base price = spell level x caster level
x 750 gp.
A 0-level spell or power is considered to have a level of 1/2
for the purpose of this calculation.
Extra Costs: Any dorje, potion, power stone, psionic tattoo,
scroll, or wand that stores a spell or power with a costly
material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate
cost. For potions, power stones, psionic tattoos, and
scrolls, the creator must expend the material component or
pay the XP cost when creating the item.
For a dorje or wand, the creator must expend fifty copies of
the material component or pay fifty times the XP cost.
Some items similarly incur extra costs in material components
or XP, as noted in their descriptions.

you're probably thinking of an exchange i had with one of the other authors of an SRD version-in-progress--it was the other guy who'd actually folded in the changes for consistency, rather than just giving some suggestions in sidebars (as i have done).

Last edited:

woodelf

First Post
TheRaven said:
About the licenses. I'm not talking about the OGL but about the D20. Look at this for example: SRD D20 Example

ah, gotcha. It hadn't occurred to me that anyone would bother releasing their version under the D20STL, both because the original isn't, and because then it prevents adding such nice little additions as chargen info. Anyway, i wouldn't be using the D20STL for this project, anyway, but i'm no longer using the D20STL, since the morality clause was added.

Nifelhein

First Post
Have you sent it to Fluiddragon? You should, that way more people would have acess to it.

I think making links, instead of those thingies would be better, quiker acess, but i also believe that you could give a little bit more editing to the SRD text, maybe making it more clear just by looking, use different colors and maybe even fonts...

It is simple though, that is a very good thing.

Just my opinion.

BigFreekinGoblinoid said:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :p :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Tell ya what I'm gonna do:

I'm going to give a prize to everyone ( Ok not EVERYONE - even I could just cut & paste & make a lousy quality .pdf if I really wanted to - so those "cut & paste" entries will not be rewarded - perhaps the 1st 15 maximum or I'll go broke with shipping charges ) who FINISHES their SRD entry and posts a link to this thread by the END of September, including anyone who is a winner according to the judges based on the original deadline.

Submitters will choose from my D20 trade pile in the order in which they have posted a link to a completed entry.

Here are a few of the items in my trade pile (subject to minor changes):

1)Heros of High Favor: Half Orcs // BADAXE GAMES
2)Heros of High Favor: Elves // BADAXE GAMES
3)Codex Arcanis campaign setting // PARADIGM CONCEPTS
4)Hostile Climes: Depths of Despair undersea sourcebook //PINNACLE
5)Arekoz: White Robes, Black Hearts Enigma o fthe Arcanexus adventure// Dark Portal Games
6)A Challenge of Arm's adventure// Inner City Games Designs
7)Living Grehawk Gazetteer // WotC
8)Gazetteer ( Greyhawk )//WotC
9)Allies & Adveraries Legends Collection NPC book//Bastion Press
10)Fang & Fury - Green Ronin
11)Psionics Toolkit //Fiery Dragon -Sword & Sorcery ( WW)
12)Ultramodern Firearms //Green Ronin
13)Slayers Guide to Sahuagin // Mongoose
14)Cities of Fantasy: Stormhaven // Mongoose
15)Travellers Tales: Ships of War // Mongoose
16)The Domains of Althos: Dark and Stormy Night //Guildhouse Games
17)Carnival of Swords - city sourcebook for Arcanis //Paradigm
18)The Bloody Sands of Sicaris - Arcanis adventure //Paradigm
19)Witchfire Trilogy Book 1: The Legion of Lost Souls // Privateer Press
20)Witchfire Trilogy Book 2: Shadow of the Exile // Privateer Press
21)Witchfire Trilogy Book 3: The Longest Night // Privateer Press
22)Armies of the Abyss // Green Ronin
23)Legions of Hell // Green Ronin

Phew!
-BFG

edited: Wanted to make it clearer that cut & paste entries posted for the sake of getting one of my books with no value or style added are not
eligible - :D
---

Per my post above:

If you completed an SRD entry before Oct 1, ( and your entry was not just cutting and pasting from the Wizards SRD ) please contact me via email
with:

1) A URL where I can view your completed files/document

2) Your book choice from the above list

3) Complete mailing address

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sage

Explorer
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:
---

Per my email above:

If you completed an SRD entry before Oct 1, ( and your entry was not just cutting and pasting from the Wizards SRD ) please contact me via email
with:

1) A URL where I can view your completed files/document

2) Your book choice from the above list

3) Complete mailing address

Thanks!

Here

Hmm... I guess the winners don't get an extra book :)

Sage

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads