Star Trek Adventures, what do I need to know

Sacrosanct

Legend
So...I've been tentatively invited to a STA game group and haven't played it before. There are plenty of tutorials out there on the game mechanics, but are there any things I should be aware of first?

Things like, "Don't make a Romulan PC, everyone will hate you." or "max out your control points"

5ekyu

Hero
So...I've been tentatively invited to a STA game group and haven't played it before. There are plenty of tutorials out there on the game mechanics, but are there any things I should be aware of first?

Things like, "Don't make a Romulan PC, everyone will hate you." or "max out your control points"
From what I have seen in plsay, momentum is the one thing that fuels them all - so work to open up lots of ways to generate momentum. I think if the multi-sessions of play I observed did a word balloon analysis of sessions, momentum would be twice as large as everything else.

aramis erak

Legend
Reiterating due to truth: Work the momentum.

Do not expect the system to enforce Trek-Feel — Modiphius' 2d20 engine is not simulationist, and largely is about creating and exploiting traits. The Trekness of the engine is a little more than skin deep, but only just.

Use the Secondary Cast characters. If your character is going to be a poor fit, use a Secondary Cast... and remember, SCCs grow rapidly - 1 advance per adventure used in.

Build the character to do what you want out of the gate.
Do not build to grow into the concept, because advancement is glacially slow.
it will be at least 5 adventures, probably more like 10, before your character gains any extra anything over start; prior to that, the experience only allows moving points around in type, not actually gaining new.

Only a handful of tasks are system defined... most of them are in ship combat, some are in personal combat.

Weapon Damages are, for personal combat, the wielder's security (0-5, 1-5 for PCs) and a weapon mod (1-4) as a number of dice.
For ships, Size (3-6) + Security Department (0-4) plus a weapon mod...
Small craft work like ships, but the ranges are lower...

All players should know the ships Attributes and Disciplines... you'll use them often.

don't overlap your focuses; there's no benefit for doing so.

And... KNOW YOUR TALENTS!!!
as basic as it seems, it's the one thing players have failed to do. You'll only have 4, and they do the real kewl stuff...

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
I played STA a couple of times at cons, which convinced me to get it and run it for my family and friends.

Some things for consideration at a session zero are:
  • Is anyone playing the captain? Should anyone?
  • Are you all going to be Chief level? Or lower? The game does accommodate you playing other cast members (think that’s what they’re called) at all levels so it’s not as important.
  • What races are allowed? In my game, I asked my players what race they wanted. One wanted to play a Human Science Officer. The other wanted to play a Klingon, the last wanted to play a Klingon, Ferengi or Romulan. The game supports Klingon and Ferengi (not sure about Romulan) but it was far from the organized play and available missions.
  • Characters are easy to create and are highly competent. Specialization is based on foci (IIRC). Dice mechanics interact with those a lot (they played like Aspects or Distinctions) in narrative games.
  • I actually found the missions to run like ST TV episodes so felt very Trek-like.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases