• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[+] Star Trek Discovery (Fan) Thread

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What's the point of having another goody two shoes captain?

What's the point in having another predictably tortured anti-hero who uses "I do what needs to be done" as an excuse for their sociopathy?

Anything can be described in condescendingly dismissive terms, if that's what you want to do.

Zardnaar

Legend
What's the point in having another predictably tortured anti-hero who uses "I do what needs to be done" as an excuse for their sociopathy?

Anything can be described in condescendingly dismissive terms, if that's what you want to do.

She's one of the best parts of the show.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I agree. I thought her hacking the holograms was great. I mean, sure, it's hard to imagine how she learned to do that, or how it would work after 900 years of hologram improvements (though they don't seem much improved really, what's with the echo-y voices? Putting the "hollow" in hologram?) but it's not really that big a 'hole' if you assume that she tried a trick she knew, and it worked. Hey, she was probably surprised that no one fixed that glitch in 900 years, too! But still. I liked that scene, personally.

Doesn't hurt that I love Michelle Yeoh. I met her once, 20 years ago. Still just as beautiful.

Zardnaar

Legend
I agree. I thought her hacking the holograms was great. I mean, sure, it's hard to imagine how she learned to do that, or how it would work after 900 years of hologram improvements (though they don't seem much improved really, what's with the echo-y voices? Putting the "hollow" in hologram?) but it's not really that big a 'hole' if you assume that she tried a trick she knew, and it worked. Hey, she was probably surprised that no one fixed that glitch in 900 years, too! But still. I liked that scene, personally.

Doesn't hurt that I love Michelle Yeoh. I met her once, 20 years ago. Still just as beautiful.

Cool yeah I like her as well. I want her to go full unleashed.

1. She takes over/destroys the federation.

2. Merges with/subsumes control

3. Uses some sort of WMD.

Full bonkers mess your stuff up wreck your day.

Won't happen Burnham will save the day.

MarkB

Legend
What's the point of having another goody two shoes captain? You got the rest of the crew for that, Pike and generic 101 federation captain.
The point is that she was a fully realised, compelling character, whereas her alt-universe twin is boring and two-dimensional.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

As a semi-antagonist, sure.

And, in terms of the cultural moment... maybe where you live it isn't an issue, but around here, we have real-world problems with folks who just can't be bothered with following rules because they feel restrictive, are inconvenient, come from a source they don't like, or block personal agendas.

FitzTheRuke

Legend

And, in terms of the cultural moment... maybe where you live it isn't an issue, but around here, we have real-world problems with folks who just can't be bothered with following rules because they feel restrictive, are inconvenient, come from a source they don't like, or block personal agendas.
Yeah, it's harder to enjoy anti-heroes when you live with a lot of 'anti' (and really need a few 'heroes'). I'm really enjoying this season overall (say, compared to the first one) for the 'people actually caring about other people' aspect. In Star Trek, I particularly prefer that attitude out of the main characters. (Georgiou I'm okay with, because in spite of her nature she's motivated to do good (or good-ish) because of love.)

Zardnaar

Legend

And if it blows up in her face it works right?

I don't think they'll do that they'll play it safe with Burnham.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
The point is that she was a fully realised, compelling character, whereas her alt-universe twin is boring and two-dimensional.

Yeah, it's harder to enjoy anti-heroes when you live with a lot of 'anti' (and really need a few 'heroes'). I'm really enjoying this season overall (say, compared to the first one) for the 'people actually caring about other people' aspect. In Star Trek, I particularly prefer that attitude out of the main characters. (Georgiou I'm okay with, because in spite of her nature she's motivated to do good (or good-ish) because of love.)

Yeah, in this ep we were reminded that Gieorgiou really feels something for (I assume) Michael - in a motherly way, I guess? And we also saw her in a truly emotionally vulnerable state when she learned about the known status of and lack of access to the Mirror Universe.

Remove ads