[+] Star Trek Discovery (Fan) Thread

Well, First Officer apparently is typically more used in aviation and sometimes merchant ships. In aviation, the first officer has basically the same skill set and tasks to do as the Captain, but the final responsibility for everything lies with the Captain

In military terms, often the term executive officer is used (or XO). Typically he responsible for running an organization and reports to the commanding officer, and he runs the management of day-to-day activities. So he will do stuff like planning the schedule and shifts, assigning people to tasks, while the commander can focus on strategy and planning for the long-term.

So Tilly's job would probably ensure that all shifts have the necessary personnel to run the ship, and she might oversee specific tasks, like preparing for a spore drive jump. She might be who ultimately ensures that a science lab gets the science gizmos they need to do their task.
Also, since she's involved in this day-to-day stuff, she can probably give the Captain advice on the available options. And when the Captain tells her a specific task needs to be done, she will be the one to organize the details.

"Devil's Advocate" can be part of this job because the First Officer might know about minutia the Captain isn't aware of. She would also probably be aware of any reservations or concerns other officers brought up when they were fulfilling assignments. But it might not always be due to special knowledge due to the first officer's responsibility - sometimes it's just what someone in a team of professionals need to do to find a good solution.

Janx

Hero
Well, that episode was a let-down. A sequel to the Unification two-parter, our first look at Vulcan in this new era with Vulcans and Romulans united, and all we get is an orbital view and a handful of people in a repurposed mess hall?
Back in the TNG days, they used to call episodes like that "Bottle episodes" To save money on FX, they stuck to the ship and sets they already had.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, I know everyone loves Tilly, I do too. But making her first officer (acting) is a bit of a stretch.

We can No-Prize it by saying that, in all honesty, nobody else on the ship has the temperament, even if they have more experience. Normally, if that were the case, you'd get an officer form another ship, but the explicitly stated point is to keep the Discovery crew as a unit to maintain their particular and specific perspective and approach to the work. An outsider would have 930 years of perspective difference to overcome.

Calling the position temporary is likely more for Tilly's sake than anything else. Making it a permanent commitment could leave her feeling trapped and overwhelmed, where this status gives her the extra breathing room she needs to grow into the position. She holds it as temporary until Saru can promote her, at which point it becomes permanent.

Hussar

Legend
That was a pretty good episode. Very Star Trek. We get to meet the big bad guy, who is appropriately big and bad, while learning lots about the new setting and plenty of character development. Very solid ep.

Zardnaar

Legend
That was a pretty good episode. Very Star Trek. We get to meet the big bad guy, who is appropriately big and bad, while learning lots about the new setting and plenty of character development. Very solid ep.

Wasn't to bad. This seasons been a lot more fun. A few misses but overall improvement.

Omand

Hero
So, speculation time.

In the Short Trek episode about Discovery being abandoned it was located in a nebula and had been there for roughly 1000 years.

Anyone want to bet that the signal mentioned in this latest episode comes from an alternate Discovery that has been floating? I know, wild theory, but perhaps going through time also resulted in Discovery being duplicated and then thrown back empty? As they would say in Dr. Who, it is timey-whimey stuff.

Cheers :)

Dire Bare

Legend
So, speculation time.

In the Short Trek episode about Discovery being abandoned it was located in a nebula and had been there for roughly 1000 years.

Anyone want to bet that the signal mentioned in this latest episode comes from an alternate Discovery that has been floating? I know, wild theory, but perhaps going through time also resulted in Discovery being duplicated and then thrown back empty? As they would say in Dr. Who, it is timey-whimey stuff.

Cheers :)
Or maybe, a Mirror Universe Discovery! Or a Kelvin Universe Discovery!

Kelvin universe I doubt, but Mirror Universe Discovery, maybe? We never did hear what happened to the ISS Discovery when things flipped in Season 1.
I seem to remember they found debris of the ship and some rebel ships at the location, but maybe I am wrong and it was only debris from rebel ships.

Remove ads