[+] Star Trek Discovery (Fan) Thread

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's been so long since I watched DS9 I'm having trouble keeping up with the Cardassians :p

So, funny bit - the first time I ever heard of that show I was working n the kitchen, and the TV was on in the next room, and came out and asked my wife, "Honey, did they just say, 'Keeping up with the Cardassians'?" And she replied, "No, that'd be a much better show."

Zardnaar

Legend
So, funny bit - the first time I ever heard of that show I was working n the kitchen, and the TV was on in the next room, and came out and asked my wife, "Honey, did they just say, 'Keeping up with the Cardassians'?" And she replied, "No, that'd be a much better show."

How about Keeping up with Kardashian vs Lexx?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
So, I think we are starting to see one of the impacts of the short-season format. You say that, and thinking about it... she doesn't have any throw-away lines. In a 20+ episode season, they had whole episodes of "filler", which are not terribly relevant or deep, but still have characterization moments. When they are down in the 10-13 episode range, though, the plot must be tight. There is no filler. So, yeah, every singe thing she says is the most important... largely because it pretty much is. Everything we see is terribly important. Even watching a slapstick movie is terribly important.
I basically agree, but it's really Martin-Green's delivery of her dialogue that bugs me - the earnestness is turned up to 11 all the time. I don't see why her character can't have throw-away lines or filler when other characters on the show do. There are characters on the show that are allowed to do that, and characters who aren't. Saru doesn't get any throw-away or filler dialogue either. Tilly gets lots. Etcetera.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There are characters on the show that are allowed to do that, and characters who aren't. Saru doesn't get any throw-away or filler dialogue either. Tilly gets lots. Etcetera.

Yes, well, Trek sticks with its morality-play roots - these aren't just characters/people in a situation. They have meta-roles as well. Michael is the Hero - and that's why you see her delivery. Heroes often aren't known for their interesting personalities - thus that one-note earnestness. Tilly is the Heart - she's not usually there to move plot. She's there to give us all emotional context. And so on.

So, Tilly's lines and delivery are just as carefully chosen as Michael's.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Yes, well, Trek sticks with its morality-play roots - these aren't just characters/people in a situation. They have meta-roles as well. Michael is the Hero - and that's why you see her delivery. Heroes often aren't known for their interesting personalities - thus that one-note earnestness. Tilly is the Heart - she's not usually there to move plot. She's there to give us all emotional context. And so on.

So, Tilly's lines and delivery are just as carefully chosen as Michael's.
Yeah, that all makes sense.

I still don't like it! ;)

I could honestly have a lot less Burnham and not miss it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, that all makes sense.

I still don't like it! ;)

I could honestly have a lot less Burnham and not miss it.

After three seasons I'm only just starting to like Burnham. I agree that they could tone down her delivery, but at least she's more likeable than she started out. (They all are, really). I liked the show well enough in season one, but I didn't like any of the characters - and that bothered me for Trek.

MarkB

Legend
Well, that episode was a let-down. A sequel to the Unification two-parter, our first look at Vulcan in this new era with Vulcans and Romulans united, and all we get is an orbital view and a handful of people in a repurposed mess hall?

That said, the episode worked emotionally, we get resolution regarding Burnham's mother, and Tilly is the obvious choice as replacement First Officer. Now promote her, dammit!

A few thoughts:

It seemed weird that the Romulans were trying to develop alternatives to dilithium but no mention was made of their quantum singularity technology. But the reference to the temporal accords in the episode did spark a thought. We already had at least one episode in TNG where a Romulan vessel's singularity power core was responsible for a temporal disruption, and they would be an apt tool in creating deliberate temporal events. Perhaps one of the effects of the temporal accords was the banning of singularity-based drives.

I liked the Picard tie-in with the Qowat Milat, and Burnham senior certainly lived up to their ideals.

Is it possible that the Romulans and Vulcans are well aware that they aren't responsible for the Burn, and that they deliberately took on that burden of guilt and withdrew from the Federation as a sacrificial move, to divert them blame?

Dire Bare

Legend
I wasn't let down by yesterday's episode, I thought it was great! Although I do agree, Saru should have promoted Tilly. When she balked by saying she's just an ensign, I was waiting for him to say, "Not anymore!"

I like the multiple meanings of "unification" of the title.
  • Unification of the Vulcans and the Romulans, if still fraught
  • Unification (potentially) of N'Var and the Federation
  • Unification of Burnham with (the memory of) her brother.
  • Unification of Burnham with the Disco crew.
  • And . . . unification of ST:Disco with ST:picard!
I too would have liked some scenes on N'Var's (Vulcan) surface, the show's gone there before. But having the Vulcans and Romulans come to Disco made sense . . . they had a profound distrust of the Federation, and didn't want them on the planet itself.

Hussar

Legend
Remember, Tilly is only Number One on an interim basis. Saru said that pretty clearly. She's not in the position quite yet.

Interesting that the notion that the Number One position is chosen at the whim of the captain though. Every other time, the Number One has been chosen from the most senior staff with the rank behind it. Have we had a Number One that wasn't a Commander?

So, if Number One is just an appointment, what are Tilley's duties as Number One? Isn't the Number One supposed to offer sort of Devil's Advocate position to the Captain?

Remove ads