[+] Star Trek Discovery (Fan) Thread

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Put me on record as thinking Carl is a Q. Course, we will probably be proved wrong and something out there will come up.

I'm going to guess they won't explain Carl at all. He's just one of those weird things you find in Trek.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
In "City on the Edge of Forever", the Guardian of Forever is inert until Kirk asks Spock (or vice versa) a question about the Guardian. then it lights up and proclaims "A question! Since before your sun burned hot in space, I have awaited...a question."

In "Terra Firma, part 1", Carl says "The answer follows the question. It's dangerous if it goes the other way." I can't remember the full exchange.

On top of all the other CotEoF references swirling around Carl, this leans me further toward thinking Carl and the door are a Guardian.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In "City on the Edge of Forever", the Guardian of Forever is inert until Kirk asks Spock (or vice versa) a question about the Guardian. then it lights up and proclaims "A question! Since before your sun burned hot in space, I have awaited...a question."

In "Terra Firma, part 1", Carl says "The answer follows the question. It's dangerous if it goes the other way." I can't remember the full exchange.

On top of all the other CotEoF references swirling around Carl, this leans me further toward thinking Carl and the door are a Guardian.
The word “question” appearing in two shows is pretty tenuous!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The word “question” appearing in two shows is pretty tenuous!

Morrus, this reads like you are willfully ignoring elements. It isn't just the word.

In both cases:
1) a character poses a question to another character
2) the entity pipes up, talking about questions
3) the entity then provides a gateway through time.

If you want to dismiss that similarity of sequence as coicidence, that's fine. But at least acknowledge the entire sequence.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Morrus, this reads like you are willfully ignoring elements. It isn't just the word.

In both cases:
1) a character poses a question to another character
2) the entity pipes up, talking about questions
3) the entity then provides a gateway through time.

If you want to dismiss that similarity of sequence as coicidence, that's fine. But at least acknowledge the entire sequence.
Calm down, man.

Mallus

Legend
I can officially no longer tell if DISCO earns its delirious emotional beats or not. I want to say Hell no, but man I loved Terra Firma part 2. So you win, show. You’re so committed to this tone, this melodramatic empathy occasionally punctuated by extreme violence and frequent crying, like you’re unashamed your influences include both Rebecca Sugar and Quentin Tarantino I can’t hold it against you.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I can officially no longer tell if DISCO earns its delirious emotional beats or not.

I have seen it several times over, but I haven't figured out why folks question it "earning" its beats - it sets you up to feel them, or it doesn't. If you feel them, then pretty clearly, it has earned them, yah?

That it may manage to make people feel things with much shorter setup than other shows, but that's a thing you can do if you have really effective storytelling and acting.

Remove ads