Star Trek Federation Ships Achilles Heel

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Relique du Madde said:
BTW. Seeing Enterprise's Saucer Section crash land in Gneration made up for Kirks prolonged death (he should have said "Spock...." then died) and the cheesiness of the nexus plot device.

I wish we could write about half of that movie off as not cannon. The death of Kirk was just wrong. They should have left his fate ambiguous, or wrote him off as having settled down after meeting a nice female alien and raising wonderful kids in the Idaho countryside. He died like a punk, in a plot device that made no sense. I mean if time has no meaning, why couldn't he pick himself out of the nexus shortly before death after he had helped Picard kill Malcolm McDowell?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Or changed his last words to 'Bastich dropped a bridge on me! *Gurgle.*'

The Auld Grump, for that matter why did MacDowell's character need to steal a starship? We know that they have warp shuttles.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
TheAuldGrump said:
Or changed his last words to 'Bastich dropped a bridge on me! *Gurgle.*'

The Auld Grump, for that matter why did MacDowell's character need to steal a starship? We know that they have warp shuttles.

You know, the only thing I like about that movie was that Data implanted his emotion chip, which led to some humorous behavior. Also, while crashing the Enterprise was rough, it did lead to them getting the Enterprise E, which is a far cooler ship than Enterprise D.

Berman! Bah!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Mmmm, I think a quick clip of data being replaced by a mac needs to be made. :lol:

Data: Who are you?
Mac: I'm Mac, your replacement?
Data: What?
Mac: You are subject to viruses, cause emotional out burst, are always being rebooted to fix your problems.
Data: :eek:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
The Grumpy Celt said:
I think it was an accident. Back in the day...

Show Runner No. 1: What's this lumpy bit at the top of the model?

Show Runner No. 2: Ah.... The bridge.

Show Runner No. 1: 'K.
Close. Roddenberry wanted to do a long shot transitioning from the bridge to exterior model. They did this in at least one of the earlier episodes.

DonTadow

First Post
I read a really good book by Oscar Card Scott a decade a go and this advice was echoed in another book by author Nancy Kress.

Star Trek is not science fiction. There is very little real science in it. It's a great space fantasy series and should be taken as such. It probably crossed over so well because it wasn't science fiction.

Tiberius

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
One question remaining is - why is nobody wearing personal shields?
Possible Answer: Shields are only possible with the same energy source as warp engines, and nobody wants to wear a antimatter reactor on his back...
(Counterquestion: Why are borgs wearing personal shields? My answer: Psssht.)

We do see Worf modify his communicator to produce a very temporary personal shield in A Fistful of Datas, so apparently a communicator/shield generator isn't out of the question.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
)

One question remaining is - why is nobody wearing personal shields?
Possible Answer: Shields are only possible with the same energy source as warp engines, and nobody wants to wear a antimatter reactor on his back...
(Counterquestion: Why are borgs wearing personal shields? My answer: Psssht.)

The Ghostbusters would like to have a word with you.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
mmu1 said:
Not really.

Yes, really.

If you have the ability to disassemble matter all the way down to sub-atomic particles, and then put it back together exactly as it was, you must have already resolved all other issues relating to measurement and positioning, and they're at that point trivial.

You seem to be conflating the problem of reassembling the object with putting it in the right position.

Trek transporters work with a collimated beam of energy and information. All the information about the relative positions of the objects is carried within the beam. Within the bounds of signal degradation, it doesn't matter where you point the thing - wherever you target it, the object will be reassembled properly.

That, however, does not address the question of targeting the beam. When you're beaming a person onto a planet surface, you can aim just a little high, and be off by a millimeter or two, and nobody'd be the wiser. When you are beaming something so that solid surfaces should be touching, and plasma conduits are precisely aligned, being a little high is not an option. And the farther you are beaming the thing, the more difficult this becomes - angular errors become bigger deals over larger distances.

Basically, a transporter beam is like a plastic airplane model. You put it in a box, and ship it with the instructions - no matter where it goes, the thing can be reassembled at the other end. However, if you don't write the correct street address on the outside of the box, you're in trouble.

This, of course, is all supposing they have "pattern buffers" large enough to hold an entire bridge in one piece in the first place.

Remove ads