Star Trek Prodigy Main Title

GreyLord

Legend
That was the one set in the 1970s, wasn't it?

2250's. Apparently Bell Bottoms and glittery balls made an earlier onset during the 50s rather than the 70s in the Star Trek universe...

Though, I think they still had the Bell Bottoms (and padded shoulders) in the 70s during the Movie era, maybe even a disco ball or two.

Ryujin

Legend
First impressions: "Prodigy" feels more Star Wars than Star Trek. I'm not saying that it's bad or anything; just that it has that pulp serial sort of energy.

I watched the first 3 episodes, and it's neat so far.
The main character is a bit off an naughty word (Dal) so far, but it feels like he has seen and experienced stuff in his life that made him that way, and he might learn.
The rock girl Rok-Tahk had probably the best scene so far with Gwyn in the last episode, and otherwise the Medusan Zero is pretty fun.

I kinda don't quite believe that Holo-Janeway doesn't know what's up with her cadet crew.

I get that some people might feel it's "Star Warsy", but I think some scenes were decidedly Star Trek - like the universal translators being forbidden on the prison mining colony so the workers couldn't organize, and Gwyn realizing the value of speaking other creature's language.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
First impressions: "Prodigy" feels more Star Wars than Star Trek. I'm not saying that it's bad or anything; just that it has that pulp serial sort of energy.
Yeah thats very much the feeling I got too, the feel is much more Star Wars in set up and design. Even the aliens dont feel Star Trek aliens (especially the Grevious clone)

that said I did like the story and the character interactions so far

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I got that impression too. Very Star Wars cartoonish in action and interaction style. There‘s a number of things I like about it, particularly Prisoner Zero, but Dal is wearing on me fast.

I got that impression too. Very Star Wars cartoonish in action and interaction style. There‘s a number of things I like about it, particularly Prisoner Zero, but Dal is wearing on me fast.
Yeah, everything else in the series seems written well enough for the whole family to enjoy with just the occasional "okay that thing was for kids, but at least it's cute" element, but Dal being awful, combined with everyone putting up with Dal being awful, and major plot-points being driven by Dal's awfulness that everyone just puts up with is something that doesn't seem to be working for the adults in the audience.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah, everything else in the series seems written well enough for the whole family to enjoy with just the occasional "okay that thing was for kids, but at least it's cute" element, but Dal being awful, combined with everyone putting up with Dal being awful, and major plot-points being driven by Dal's awfulness that everyone just puts up with is something that doesn't seem to be working for the adults in the audience.

I didnt mind him too much, he’s a lone child raised in a slave camp with others he cant talk to - him being an anti-social delinquent out for himself is understandable. (I use to teach alt ed and can think of couple of young guys who have similar annoying personalities)

its only ep 2 lets hope he grows up quick

Remove ads