Star Trek Picard extended Comic-Con trailer

MarkB

Legend

Oh wow. This looks so much bigger, more far-reaching than I had expected from the first teaser trailer.

EDIT: Updated to working link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Patrick Stewart sounds older than he does currently in real life, and Spiner has been de-aged. Interesting!

Reports also say Riker is in it. I knew he directed some of it, but apparently he’s actually in it.

I hope there isn’t too much focus on the Romulan stuff. With Nemesis, and the Abrahms Trek reboot, I’m kinda bored of what wasn’t a very interesting plot thread in the first place. I’m not sure I care about this failed Romulus rescue.

Mercurius

Legend
This looks so good; I agree, more expansive and interesting than I originally imagined.

Who do people think the young woman is? Obviously she's tied to the Borg somehow...maybe the first "Borg child" somehow?

This looks so good; I agree, more expansive and interesting than I originally imagined.

Who do people think the young woman is? Obviously she's tied to the Borg somehow...maybe the first "Borg child" somehow?

We actually see Borg children in the first episode we encounter the Borg. They were in some kind of maturation chamber, IIRC, and already had implants.

A theory I've seen about her is that she's actually Lal, though I don't know why or how people get that idea.
Maybe she's actually a young Borg Queen? Maybe she is the Borg Queen, and it's time travel with predestination paradox and all. (I hope not.)

I figure the facility with all the prisoners contains liberated Borg, e.g. people like Hugh that were disconnected from the Collective. The note of "x work days since the last assimilation" might imply that they are contained and isolated to avoid that they form a new collective or reconnect to the regular Borg. The background novel/comics to the first Kelvin Timeline Movie (aka JJ.Trek) suggests that Nero's ship, the Narada, has been modified by Borg technology (not even Romulans build their mining vessels like warships). Star Trek Online uses the idea and suggests the Romulans had a Sphere in the facility that also altered the Narada. Whatever the specifics, that might lead to a lot of imprisoned Borg Drones that might have been disconnected from the Hive. Maybe on the one hand, Picard wants to get these people out of prison. And on the other hand, they represent a threat of, well, the Borg returning in some way, which is why they get imprisoned in the first place. Maybe the Federation or Starfleet is even complicit here, because they have the same worry.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I love the Romulans and the aftermath of their world dying is explored very interestingly in STO, so I’m looking forward to that.

Derren

Hero

I guess she is a engineered borg queen who would be able to control other drones.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think the worst decision was to add individuality to the Borg.

It's done over and over again (in film and literature). First add an implacable (and therefore interesting) threat. Then give it a central processor, or in this case a Queen, and you instantly know the snake now has a head you can cut off.

The interesting foe instantly becomes normal, mundane, defeatable through regular means...

I loved the Borg as presented up until 1996; pre First Contact. Using the captains of your enemy as ultimately disposable commanders is genius.

Growing a head that allows your enemies to kill all of you with a single stroke, OTOH, is hackneyed lazy tired writing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's done over and over again (in film and literature). First add an implacable (and therefore interesting) threat. Then give it a central processor, or in this case a Queen, and you instantly know the snake now has a head you can cut off.

Truly implacable threats aren't interesting. If they are truly implacable, they kill your protagonists and win and the story ends

An antagonist isn't interesting if you cannot understand it. A human must be able to grasp the antagonist's motivations and plans, or the antagonist is a force of nature - and the antagonist in a natural disaster film isn't the interesting part. Once you can understand an antagonist, they are humanized, and thus have flaws, and can be beaten.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases