Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

FitzTheRuke

Legend
there might be some confusion. Soji's system is not the 8-star system with the Admonition thingy. I'm talking about that system specifically because it's something astronomers of StarTrek tech level would have seen from anywhere in the galaxy during mapping.

Oh right. For some reason I conflated the two. At any rate, there's a whole lot of reasons it could have been off federation star-charts. Or on them but not well-known.

Mallus

Legend
Finding a 8-star system requires a sci-fi telescope.
In science fiction like Arrival or Contact the octonary system would have been found with a telescope.

But Picard is Star Trek, where you find stellar anomalies by flying kinda close to them in a FTL spaceship.

Hussar

Legend
The joke when they look out the top of the crashed spaceship and the doctor says that she didn't even know there were windows in starships just made me giggle like a slightly concussed gerbil.

Ryujin

Legend
The joke when they look out the top of the crashed spaceship and the doctor says that she didn't even know there were windows in starships just made me giggle like a slightly concussed gerbil.

A variation on that theme appears in a book that a friend is currently writing, "The Fatal Frontier." It's a parody based on the premise, "What if Star Fleet was capitalist?"

Kaodi

Hero
How does stellar cartography actually work in Star Trek? The galaxy is tens of thousands of light years across. One way you might miss a fancy eight star system is that its current configuration is simply newer than the light you are receiving from its constituent stars.

Anyway - I too wonder if Soong is, in fact, somehow Lore.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Anyway - I too wonder if Soong is, in fact, somehow Lore.

I think I get it (if he is Lore): Lore took the Borg Queen's deal from First Contact. He got his android-ness replaced with flesh, and he figured out (mostly) how they did it. He regrets it now that he's aged (aging sucks) and he's been building offspring working his way up to fleshy ones (notice how Soji's siblings show a progression). He's using it to figure out how organic minds work compared to positronic ones. He wants Agnes to help put him back in an android body. A cool side-effect of the experiments regarding both types of minds, is Sutra (right?) learned the Vulcan mind-meld, but for synths.

Am I close? Will we find out next episode?

Remove ads