Star Trek Picard SPOILERS thread

FitzTheRuke

Legend
A few thoughts on the new episode:

1: Reminds me of some of the old episodes where non-Starfleet characters wore insanely ridiculous costumes. And the ones where Picard plays over-the-top characters. It was silly, but Star Trek has always been silly at times. Though it's particularly weird when you remember that Picard is actually supposed to be French.

2: I guess Rios is NOT a hologram. Too bad. I liked that idea. But I don't think you can be a hologram and have someone surprise inject you with hormones.

3: So maybe we were thinking of the wrong member of Picard's Motley Crew being an AI. Is Dr. Jurati a Synth? (Like Soongh's ex-wife?) Did Commodore Oh reprogram her like whoever did the Mars Synths? Or did she just (as is implied in the episode) give her some kind of proof that this all needs to be stopped?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
How is it that one of the most famous people in the Federation (and one who had just had a widely publicized interview that was critical of Starfleet) was able to pull off such a ridiculous disguise and not be recognized?

I dunno, take someone like Meg Ryan (hasn't been in anything I've seen in years) and put her at a costume party in, I dunno, Winnipeg. Put her in the SAME costume as Picard. It probably wouldn't matter if she'd just been on the View. Most people would probably not recognize her.

Besides, Picard was on an interview critical of Starfleet. Notorious on Earth, I'm sure, but does anyone in Freecloud care about that?

I mean, it's certainly risky, but it's not impossible that no one there would notice him. Silly bit of episode, though, I agree.

3: So maybe we were thinking of the wrong member of Picard's Motley Crew being an AI. Is Dr. Jurati a Synth? (Like Soongh's ex-wife?) Did Commodore Oh reprogram her like whoever did the Mars Synths? Or did she just (as is implied in the episode) give her some kind of proof that this all needs to be stopped?

The latter...she says that she's seen what's going to happen and she's terrified.

Ryujin

Legend
I suspected she was working for Commodore Oh several episodes back when she showed up at Picard's villa after mysteriously having somehow gotten a Romulan disrupter from a highly trained assassin.

At the time that looked convenient, but could have been fobbed off as taken from one of the assassins Picard shot through the doorway (if I'm remembering correctly). Now, not as sure.

(EDIT - OK, quite sure that she was injected into the situation)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I suspected she was working for Commodore Oh several episodes back when she showed up at Picard's villa after mysteriously having somehow gotten a Romulan disrupter from a highly trained assassin.

The second Picard met her, something seemed off. At first I thought maybe I was reacting to the actress (Didn't like her in The Newsroom) but then I thought, no, the character is clearly hiding a bunch and is being played like she has a secret agenda.

Mallus

Legend
I think it's pretty clear that Dr. Jurati is being used by Oh and is, or at least was, exactly what she appeared to be until the Commodore co-opted her. Agnes is not a very good spy & assassin, hence the psychological crisis as she was carrying out her mission. I'm fairly sure she has no training and simply scooped up a dead assassins gun at the chateau.

But I'm not sure where you go with the character from here. She's recently come into a lot of guilt to process and/or atone for, and given how much guilt the rest of the crew has been hauling around for years, they probably won't be much help, coping-wise.

Is this going to end in a climatic spaceship battle followed by a climatic group therapy session? Signs are pointing to yes...

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I think it's pretty clear that Dr. Jurati is being used by Oh and is, or at least was, exactly what she appeared to be until the Commodore co-opted her. Agnes is not a very good spy & assassin, hence the psychological crisis as she was carrying out her mission. I'm fairly sure she has no training and simply scooped up a dead assassins gun at the chateau.

I think that's likely, though she seemed to know a lot more than she was telling in her initial meeting with Picard too.

Her actions are pretty final though - and unless the show goes through some extreme shenanigans - the rest of the crew will know exactly what she did - interesting to see how the show comes back from that!

But I'm not sure where you go with the character from here. She's recently come into a lot of guilt to process and/or atone for, and given how much guilt the rest of the crew has been hauling around for years, they probably won't be much help, coping-wise.

Is this going to end in a climatic spaceship battle followed by a climatic group therapy session? Signs are pointing to yes...

Yeah, even more than Discovery, every single character is packing some serious background baggage.

Remove ads