Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
It’s a bit more than a background check though, if it was just that I could buy it. She’s gone her entire career without being in an intense situation and using her super strength?

Especially considering she's in a "critical" situation like every 5 minutes.

Heck it was telegraphed in THIS episode (obviously intentionally) when another crew member looks shocked at how easily she was able to carry a clearly heavy crew member with ease.

But yeah, the whole no issues with the billion medical screenings she's obviously had is a bit more glaring than even that.

Mallus

Legend
Sure, and yet the same trick won't work or even help with the Doctor's daughter because reasons. Sure the diseases are different but you'd think the doctor would use some of those "chimerical antibodies" for yet another miracle cure. But nope -because plot.
Star Trek isn't about scientific and technological extrapolation. It's just not that kind of science fiction.

Ryujin

Legend
We are on a time period when klingons can pose as humans pretty easily, and only a tribble manages to out them…

Not that I don’t agree with you, but this is not exactly unprecedented 😂
True enough. Maybe they were a little more lax with bureaucratic functionaries ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It’s a bit more than a background check though, if it was just that I could buy it. She’s gone her entire career without being in an intense situation and using her super strength?

My point being that the thing you are concerned about here couldn't happen if they did basic background and medical checks on people trying to join Starfleet.

But totally agree that M'Benga and Number One should have known each others secrets. Without the Chief Medical officers help, it really strain credulity -- and of course by that I mean 'Star Trek credulity' -- for her to be posted to the flagship.

Maybe it's just me but, based on him being almost completely unphased by the reveal and immediately knowing that her blood didn't have anything that could cure the others it feels like maybe M'Benga had figured her out before hand, and also perhaps evaluated whether he could somehow use Illyrianess to cure his daughter. I'm not saying it's quite "in the episode", but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in some draft of the script or some cut of the episode and is coloring the particular lines and the actor's performance. His behavior in the reveal scene actually makes more sense if you read him as having figured her out before hand.

My guess would be that they just cut some sort of "when did you figure it out" business at the end of the episode for pacing reasons. Or else Babs Olusanmokun was handed a scene where his character seemed to have way too much knowledge at the tip of his fingers on the usefulness of Illyrian blood in synthesizing cures for non Illyrians and made a character decision to perform the scene as if he had already figured it out and considered the matter. Or he's just playing the character as exhausted and I'm reading too much into it.

Remove ads