Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Hex08

Hero
If my entire way of life depended on sacrificing a kid to appease the local spirits or something, I think I'd move. Or at least expect somebody else to suggest it. and come up with a feeble reason why that's totally not practical.
I think this is what makes it a good episode, that people just accept abhorrent things all of the time and are good at justifying it. Take slavery as an example, in the west we find it horrible but we still buy and eat seafood and if reports are true then Thailand, one of the world's largest seafood exporters, uses slave labor to work fishing boats. We all buy consumer goods from China without a second thought but they engage in some horrific labor practices. Cobalt for batteries and precious gems come from nations with questionable practices. I think this episode does an excellent job of pointing out society will tolerate some really bad stuff and that it's reasonable, and possibly right, for an outsider to be offended and try to intervene.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
It's "The Trolley Problem" on steroids. Would you divert the trolley to run over one child, so that millions could live in luxury?

Hex08

Hero
This will be a flawed answer as any to the dilemma, but I think it's not about the "size", but about it being a personal self-sacrifice, not a majority killing a minority because it's the most convenient thing. Spock didn't push Scotty or McCoy into the warp core, he went himself!
In this case some might argue it was self-sacrifice, the boy knew that it wouldn't be good for him, but... he's also just a boy. Smart as he may be, he was selected for this role before he could really understand it, and everything they taught him was that it was what he had to do, so how much chance had he really to come to any different conclusion, how free was his choice?
I would say not very free. As you say, he is just a boy and we get to see the look of horror on his face once he sees the corpse of the previous child and realizes what's going to happen to him.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I would say not very free. As you say, he is just a boy and we get to see the look of horror on his face once he see the corpse of the previous child and realizes what's going to happen to him.
Yeah, not enough time to come to an informed conclusion, after seeing what his fate would be.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I would say not very free. As you say, he is just a boy and we get to see the look of horror on his face once he see the corpse of the previous child and realizes what's going to happen to him.
And he was such a cute, friendly kid!

It would have been a funny twist if the kid was a demanding brat. Not that he'd deserve his fate, but it's always the cute kids who get sacrificed!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Pike heard the answer, effectively said, "f*** you, you suck" and then beamed out. He was judge and jury for the audience, this culture = bad....no discussion. That's why it fell so flat to me.
In about 10 years he is going to sacrifice himself to save the life of a bunch of young Federation cadets(kids). It's something he feels very, very strongly about.

Stalker0

Legend
Episode 7
Another just fun episode. Though I called the councilor being a pirate a mile away, it was fun to see an actress just go so over the top on a star trek show. No real notes on this one, just a good old time.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Episode 7
Another just fun episode. Though I called the councilor being a pirate a mile away, it was fun to see an actress just go so over the top on a star trek show. No real notes on this one, just a good old time.
Yeah, but that last scene! Could SNW be looking to take one of the weakest parts of Star Trek canon and do something interesting with it? I guess it fits with Spock's duality issues here though. He has a previously unknown (prior to ST: Discovery) adopted full-human sister who embraces Vulcan ways, and a previously unknown (prior to Star Trek V) full-Vulcan half-brother who rejects Vulcan ways.

Remove ads