• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

S1E7

The Edge of the Federation again....in the Wild Wild West of space

They call Pike the "Boy Scout"....but ARE there even Boy Scouts in the 23rd century?

Odd how Spock looks at one scan of the laser net and knows everything about it and can shoot down everything anyone says with a "nope won't work".

Lucky guest star lady is smarter then Spock to get out of the energy net

Una says "battle stations" and all the bridge crew duck down and hide behind their chairs? Bit of an odd battle stations, bit more like coward stations.

So Una, Laan and Ortega have phasers? Why? It's not part of the standard uniform? And if they had them as they are in the Wild West....then would not ALL of the bridge crew have them?

Oh no a starship on Star Trek is taken over by space pirates...again.....and super easily, but then one tap of the Easy Reset Button and it's all over like it never happened

Well...and Angel surprise betrayal was not so shocking....

Granted Nurse Chapple is just a nurse....and not too bright....but how exactly was she going to call for help? The Federation is way, way, way, way far away.

So the Enterprise goes from the Edge of the Federation to the metting place a couple seconds?

Sure is amazing T'Pring is not just a cop/agent, but she is also warden of the Vulcan prison. And captain of the prison transport too.

Wow that fake mutiny subplot sure worked in like seconds?

How does Pike re take control of the Enterprise? Would not Angel would have changed the codes?

Sybock?! Sigh....

Mallus

Legend
They call Pike the "Boy Scout"....but ARE there even Boy Scouts in the 23rd century?
Probably not. But there are in the 21st century, where the audience is.
Una says "battle stations" and all the bridge crew duck down and hide behind their chairs? Bit of an odd battle stations, bit more like coward stations.
It's called 'taking cover'.
Granted Nurse Chapple is just a nurse....and not too bright....but how exactly was she going to call for help? The Federation is way, way, way, way far away.
They have this thing called 'subspace radio'. Its signal propagates at around 52,000c. Chapel tried to access the ship's comms but was locked out.
So the Enterprise goes from the Edge of the Federation to the metting place a couple seconds?
To a meeting at the edge of Federation space, yes.
Sure is amazing T'Pring is not just a cop/agent, but she is also warden of the Vulcan prison.
And Spock's dad is an ambassador. I guess there are well-connected families on Vulcan, too.
Wow that fake mutiny subplot sure worked in like seconds?
It was a real enough mutiny that Pike instigated. It also wasn't the main story.
How does Pike re take control of the Enterprise? Would not Angel would have changed the codes?
The same way Kirk retook control of the Enterprise remotely in Wrath. With the backdoor codes that Angel doesn't know about.
Sybock?! Sigh....
Agreed. But who knows? Maybe they'll do something more interesting with him? The bar is low.

Also, I felt like you really phoned it in this week. Gotta step up your game, man.

Ondath

Hero
Finally got around to watching Episode 7. It was a solid 7/10 to me, nothing groundbreaking like the earlier few episodes, but a fun romp with a villain who's just going HAM. I should catch up on the TOS lore on Sybok, but I'm kinda worried with the focus they're putting on the T'Pring-Spock relationship so far. Since this is a prequel, we know how things will ultimately end with Amok Time. So how much tension can they put in this story?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This one was OK. I think the weakest of the series so far, though I still enjoyed it. I felt like it could have been an amazing 'Die Hard on a Spaceship' and it kinda wasn't. Plus a couple of issues that bugged me -

1) Where was the crew? This is a starship with hundreds of people aboard, including an entire society department. How did like 7 people take over the ship? Was there a note about everybody being on shore leave or something?

2) They're 2 days away from subspace comms (which is presumably faster than travel, or else you'd just fly there and tell them yourself) -- but the Vulcans arrive in literally a minute or so, JJ Abrams style.

3) If the Vulcans can arrive in a minute, why not an entire Starfleet task force? Surely she'd have just called 999 and the episode would be over. The pirate pan only worked because comms were shut down, but the moment they communicated with T'Pring, that's gone. The message is out.

Also I made an adventure which actually was Die Hard on a Spaceship, and it's awesome, and I totally had the Enterprise in mind when I did it.

Ryujin

Legend
This one was OK. I think the weakest of the series so far, though I still enjoyed it. I felt like it could have been an amazing 'Die Hard on a Spaceship' and it kinda wasn't. Plus a couple of issues that bugged me -

1) Where was the crew? This is a starship with hundreds of people aboard, including an entire society department. How did like 7 people take over the ship? Was there a note about everybody being on shore leave or something?

2) They're 2 days away from subspace comms (which is presumably faster than travel, or else you'd just fly there and tell them yourself) -- but the Vulcans arrive in literally a minute or so, JJ Abrams style.

3) If the Vulcans can arrive in a minute, why not an entire Starfleet task force? Surely she'd have just called 999 and the episode would be over. The pirate pan only worked because comms were shut down, but the moment they communicated with T'Pring, that's gone. The message is out.

Also I made an adventure which actually was Die Hard on a Spaceship, and it's awesome, and I totally had the Enterprise in mind when I did it.

I think that there were significantly more than 7 pirates. Think of it like a naval vessel, or like an army fort. There would only be a very few of the crew who would be actively armed. The rest of the weapons would be locked down and given out on an at-need basis. I was quite surprised that they had weapons stowed on the bridge.

Yeah, T'Pring got there pretty quick. That. or they fast-forwarded to when she did arrive, like they did for their travel to get there in the first place.

In as few words as possible, "hostage situation." Does she go to Star Fleet, knowing that her husband to be will be the first neck on the block?

Remove ads