• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Heh.

So, while I knew all this, I just looked at it differently.

They go through a lot of plot to make it so Pike knows his ultimate fate. He knows that he cannot die until after his accident, about 10 years in the future.

But, really, we know that most of the characters in the show appear in later canon, and so have just as much plot immunity as Pike. Spock, Chapel, Mr. Kyle, Uhura, Dr M'Benga, T'Pring, and Sam Kirk all show up later on TOS.

In a way, the whole "knowing the future" thing is a lampshade for the entire series.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's "The Trolley Problem" on steroids. Would you divert the trolley to run over one child, so that millions could live in luxury?
That is, I think, distinct from the trolley problem, rather than an exaggerated form of it, but that’s a small quibble.

The idea that it’s even a moral quandary has always struck me as, if you’ll forgive a somewhat problematic term, completely insane.

The quick arrival of T'Pring was kinda surprising, but my guess is - the prison she's working on right now is near the same "edge" of Federation space?
It kinda makes sense:
T'Prin and Spock are trying to make a long-distance relationship work. That might include her taking commissions near wherever the Enterprise is expected to have missions, so they can meet occassionally.
A the same type, Sybok and Angel presumably lived together somewhere, and when he was apprehended, he might have been put in the nearest suitable facility - which might still be near the edge of the Federation (criminals trying to escape custory or probably often caught as they leave or enter Federation space, as operating within Federation space all the time is risky.)
At some point, Angel presumably learned about the Sybok-Spock-T'Pring angle and developed a plan that lead to her masquerading as a respected Federation aid worker to lure the Enterprise in a trap in her home turf.

Also was it me or was the engineer AWOL again? He seems to vanish for entire episodes. Or did I just miss him?
I kinda expected to see him in Engineering, being the one that took out the space pirates there.
But I guess he wasn't so lucky, got captured and put in a cage conviently always off-camera. :)

Omand

Hero
Also was it me or was the engineer AWOL again? He seems to vanish for entire episodes. Or did I just miss him?
Nope, you did not miss him. Hemmer did not show up in the episode.

A let down, to be sure, but understandable. I heard a radio interview with the actor who plays Hemmer and it is something like a 4 hour make up job every time they have him on screen. I am sure that has a cost both in budget and filming time so they likely reserve Hemmer for scenes where it is really important for him to be present.

Cheers :)

Ryujin

Legend
Nope, you did not miss him. Hemmer did not show up in the episode.

A let down, to be sure, but understandable. I heard a radio interview with the actor who plays Hemmer and it is something like a 4 hour make up job every time they have him on screen. I am sure that has a cost both in budget and filming time so they likely reserve Hemmer for scenes where it is really important for him to be present.

Cheers :)
I'm actually surprised that it's "only" a 4 hour job.

Stalker0

Legend
I figured that a several days passed between calls. They skipped it because it's boring for us to watch them playing jenga. Ditto the time it took Pike to lead his mutiny. I don't think they expected us to believe that the whole thing took minutes. At the same time, they didn't want us to think about it too much.
This was my assumption as well. A few days pass, Tpring gets there, the mutiny is set up. I agree that the show didn't do us any favors showing even a little passage of time, but there was also nothing in the show that rules out a few days passed either.

Stalker0

Legend
I heard a radio interview with the actor who plays Hemmer and it is something like a 4 hour make up job every time they have him on screen. I am sure that has a cost both in budget and filming time so they likely reserve Hemmer for scenes where it is really important for him to be present.
Eh, I mean we had worf in full makeup almost every single episode, there are many many sci-fi shows that have full make-up aliens as main characters.

I think the more reasonable explanation....Hemmer is just not an A list characters, he's a B lister like the transporter guy or Sam Kirk. Aka this isn't a Geordi or a Scotty. That does "weird" for us used to have the chief engineer (or just master chief in O'Brien's case) being front and center on the show, but its a reasonable direction to go.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads