• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

I couldn't tell how many pirates there were supposed to be. A one-off line like "We are detecting hundreds of transporter signatures" when they beamed aboard would have easily covered it, but maybe the script called for a lot more pirates and the director decided they didn't want to hire that many extras. I would have preferred it were addressed more overtly, it did feel like it was just a small handful of fairly unimpressive attackers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also would getting a major naval vessel taken over by pirates be the end of a captain’s career? If Somalian pirates somehow took over an aircraft carrier, I assume the captain of that ship would no longer be Captain, or even in the navy. It seems like negligence or incompetence at best.

What am I saying? Kirk stole a starship and it was fine!

Ryujin

Legend
Also would getting a major naval vessel taken over by pirates be the end of a captain’s career? If Somalian pirates somehow took over an aircraft carrier, I assume the captain of that ship would no longer be Captain, or even in the navy. It seems like negligence or incompetence at best.

What am I saying? Kirk stole a starship and it was fine!
Well he did get busted back from admiral to captain, but that was more of a reward.

Mallus

Legend
In Star Trek, I think having your ship taken over is a right of passage. 😂
You totally get razzed by your peers if you don’t engage your ship‘s auto-destruct at least once.

You know, this episode didn‘t feel like an adventure story or an action movie, which is kinda implicit in the premise “space pirates”. It felt like a screwball comedy. In space. With pirates. And a sassy, vamping villainess dressed like Irma Vep, who totally better be coming back.

This is insanely likable stuff.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Well he did get busted back from admiral to captain, but that was more of a reward.
From Kirk’s perspective. From Starfleet’s perspective, major penalty. Probably a big hit to his salary and retirement benefits too…

Ryujin

Legend
From Kirk’s perspective. From Starfleet’s perspective, major penalty. Probably a big hit to his salary and retirement benefits too…
Also seemingly from the perspective of the person who was busting him. As far as the rest goes it's a post scarcity society, so likely not much of a change except for perceived prestige.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
This one was OK. I think the weakest of the series so far, though I still enjoyed it. I felt like it could have been an amazing 'Die Hard on a Spaceship' and it kinda wasn't. Plus a couple of issues that bugged me -
Yeah, probably the weakest, but still really good.

1) Where was the crew? This is a starship with hundreds of people aboard, including an entire society department. How did like 7 people take over the ship? Was there a note about everybody being on shore leave or something?
We don't see 90% of the crew most of the time either, so I assume that unseen pirates took care of the unseen crew.

2) They're 2 days away from subspace comms (which is presumably faster than travel, or else you'd just fly there and tell them yourself) -- but the Vulcans arrive in literally a minute or so, JJ Abrams style.
I figured that a several days passed between calls. They skipped it because it's boring for us to watch them playing jenga. Ditto the time it took Pike to lead his mutiny. I don't think they expected us to believe that the whole thing took minutes. At the same time, they didn't want us to think about it too much.

3) If the Vulcans can arrive in a minute, why not an entire Starfleet task force? Surely she'd have just called 999 and the episode would be over. The pirate pan only worked because comms were shut down, but the moment they communicated with T'Pring, that's gone. The message is out.
Sure, but if she showed up with the Federation, they'd kill Spock! It's standard hostage "No Cops!"

Also I made an adventure which actually was Die Hard on a Spaceship, and it's awesome, and I totally had the Enterprise in mind when I did it.
Sweeeeet.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Also seemingly from the perspective of the person who was busting him. As far as the rest goes it's a post scarcity society, so likely not much of a change except for perceived prestige.

He was freakin' James Tiberius Kirk. He didn't need rank to have prestige at that point. :)

Remove ads