Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Janx

Hero
I recall somebody writing about how prequels run some risks....

I liked it, but have some quibbles.

This is presumably a 5 year mission, at the start. Uhura is a Cadet. James Kirk's dad is an LT on the ship. How old is Jim?
When Jim takes over, how much time has past? And kid Jim has surpassed Uhura to take command in that time?

Likewise with Nurse Chapel. How long is she gonna not advance on this ship?

This is that aforementioned prequel problems. They bring in some folks from the future crew to connect things, but all it does is create wrinkles. At least with Spock, he's old and it plausibly could take awhile to get to the upper ranks.

The other quibble is speed of travel. Discovery, spore drive aside, erased travel time and distance in the show. The pacing was so bipity-bopity quick that you'd swear the writers of sponge-bob had taken over. Here, Pike only has time to brood and barely finish his drink while listening to Spock's sage advice before they are arriving at an explored planet that should be presumably just far enough away to not be well documented.

Now the old shows didn't just make us waste real time getting places either at the expense of pacing. But they did a better job of implying "time passes" before we get there. As opposed to "I'll be in my quarters", cut to quarters, takes a sip, "captain we've arrived."

Basically, I hate that about all the post-Enterprise Star Trek because they seem to have forgotten how to write that and are catering to the "want it now" 21st century mindset with no elegance or verisimilitude for the setting. How hard is it to imply it's going to take a few hours or days to get there? To reflect that there are limits to what this technology can do? So you can have believable stakes later on whether the ship can get somewhere in time? That you do have to wait. Even in the future.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
James Kirk's dad is an LT on the ship.
Brother. George Samuel Kirk, known as Sam.

(originally played by William Shatner with a moustache in TOS)

George_Samuel_Kirk.jpg

Jim Kirk is out there somewhere presumably serving on a starship, probably a Lt. on the USS Farragut. He'll be showing up in s2. He takes command of the Enterprise in 2265 at the age of 32. This show is set about 2260, so Kirk is about 27, wherever he is.

Ryujin

Legend

View attachment 156823

Jim Kirk is out there somewhere presumably serving on a starship, probably a Lt. on the USS Farragut. He'll be showing up in s2. He takes command of the Enterprise in 2265 at the age of 32. This show is set about 2260, so Kirk is about 27, wherever he is.
IIRC James Kirk was one of the youngest (if not the) captains in the history of Star Fleet. your timing feels about right because I believe that Pike's near fatal injuries take place while Kirk is in command of The Enterprise.

Wasn't that actually James T. Kirk who came on the bridge, toward the end of episode 1? Seems that was the name used; "Lt. James Kirk." Yes, he should be serving on the Farragut, based on TOS references that I remember. That's where Lt. Kirk "hesitated" to fire phasers at the hemoglobin eating cloud creature, that killed a couple of hundred of the crew, including the captain. Also when he met Tyree of the Hill People, who he would later supply firearms to while in command of Enterprise.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I enjoyed it, I think I would have loved it as a teen when I couldn't recognize the patronizing tone.

But I don't know if this generation of kids will like it as much, the generation that saw a coup by the president, that are watching a white supremist lead Fox news, watch womens rights removed piece by piece, watch black men being murdered at traffic stops, watching war break out in Europe.

Not sure it will resonate as much with them.

But for me, love the nostalgia, love the optimism.
I think it'll resonate fairly well with them given that the take-away here is that to get to the Federation future, every existing social and political structure gets wiped out in the Eugenics Wars and the existential horror of it's aftermath.

Looking at Memory Alpha and some other sources, apparently canon has only about 30-40 million people die in the Eugenics Wars. I'd always had the impression that it was much, much more, since that's the same number that died in WW2 and WW3/the Eugenics Wars was a full-out nuclear war. The camp we see in First Contact felt much more like what most of Earth would be like.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Looking at Memory Alpha and some other sources, apparently canon has only about 30-40 million people die in the Eugenics Wars.

Don't presume that the canon was written with a solid understanding of casualties and their impact. If nothing else, the original number given in Space Seed was written when the world population was less than half of its current value.

And, in the canon, numbers of 30 to 40 million sit alongside numbers like 600 million. Don't take the exact number seriously.

Janx

Hero

View attachment 156823

ah yes. the naming threw me. That's a bit more plausible then.

Though I don't know why James Kirk needs to show up until the final episode of the series with Pike saying, "I stand relieved." perhaps with actual voicing by Shatner...

Remove ads