Star Trek Strange New Worlds, what did you think?

Mallus

Legend
Remember when the Romulans didn’t have FTL drives back in “Balance of Terror”? I guess theirs was a very small Star Empire. Minor canon tweaks can be a good thing!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It means that saying that the altered canon in a show, that is supported by the altered canon from which that show is a spin-off, doesn't really do anything more than showing that one show altered canon.

Harping on the "spin off" does not seem to be adding any meaning to the point. What's the purpose you have in repeating it?

Or, shall we talk about how the original canon had been set before most of the folks on this discussion board were born, and then left untouched. Is there some reason we are supposed to care?

Ryujin

Legend
Harping on the "spin off" does not seem to be adding any meaning to the point. What's the purpose you have in repeating it?

Or, shall we talk about how the original canon had been set before most of the folks on this discussion board were born, and then left untouched. Is there some reason we are supposed to care?
OK, I'm just going to let it lay now. I"m done.

JarooAshstaff

Explorer
Second episode is a bit brutal. Its like we are back to kids writing episodes again for adults. Characters making nonsensical out of character decisions. Cadets making fun of officers and acting more like young high school kids than elite cadets on the worlds premier star ship.

Vael

Legend
I loved this one. Uhura was really good, a good mix of youthful prickly bravado and insecurity, I enjoyed Pike in Dad mode hosting dinner. I'm more and more impressed with Ethan Peck's version of Spock.

And hot darn if Enterprise sailing through space dodging torpedoes is just a gorgeous look.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Second episode is a bit brutal. Its like we are back to kids writing episodes again for adults. Characters making nonsensical out of character decisions. Cadets making fun of officers and acting more like young high school kids than elite cadets on the worlds premier star ship.

I think that's a bit harsh. The only instance where a cadet (there's just one featured) makes fun of an officer is in an informal setting and only after the officers had been ribbing/messing with her already.

The only possible nonsensical decision I can think of was
kirk being WAY to nonchalant and approaching the egg thingy
but that wasn't too bad.

As for the rest? I thought it was a great episode. Completely "star trek" situation on two different fronts.

The characters kept it professional but light (I really like Mount's take on Pike). And they even recognized in the dialogue that the situation itself was so deadly it was absurd.

Both this and the opening episode were really strong and if they keep this quality up, the series will be truly amazing.

Yora

Legend
Personally, I loved it. My spoiler free review is that I feel like I have watched my first real Star Trek show in decades. I like Picard and really enjoy Lower Decks but Strange New Worlds, I thought, really captured the feeling of Trek. It's not nearly as dark as Disco or Picard, visually or thematically. The casting is really good, Anson Mount especially, although Nurse Chapel seems like a totally different person. It does some fiddly things with the canon timeline but that doesn't bug me much. My only real complaint is the size of the ship, Enterprise looks really good but it's way too big
Really not knowing anything about the show except the title sounding familiar, does this mean this is a reboot of the Original Series?

Hex08

Hero
Really not knowing anything about the show except the title sounding familiar, does this mean this is a reboot of the Original Series?
It's a prequel to the original series. It's the adventures of the USS Enterprise under the command of Captain Pike, the commander before Captain Kirk.

Stalker0

Legend
Damn fine second episode, another winner. The dynamic between Spock and Uhura is solid. Spock is a classic boss motiff, he wants to do right by his people but he has trouble connecting, and he's "all business". But when he does connect, he really nails it, because he's such a strong person that people crave his respect. I have worked with many such people, and can really understand it.

I like how Pike is seeing his future as both a burden but also a "heroic responsibility". He's looking at the lives he will save and trying to take comfort that he goes out doing some real good. That's a great mentality, much for than the fatalistic outlook I had feared.

If I were to nitpick anything, its the "Uhura sings a different bar and suddenly gets the shields down". That pretty much comes out of left field, all she know is that it communicates with music but has no idea how to really communicate. But I feel that's kind of the difference between TOS and TNG styles, TOS was more seat of your pants "let it ride", whereas TNG was a bit more focused on coming out with rationales (even if it was technobabble).

Also major visual probs on the Enterprise flying through the cloud, and you can see the tiny shield deflections of the small asteroids off the ship. That was a really nice touch.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases