Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If they don't do a season long plot arc and each of the ten* executive producers oversees an episode, it could be great.

"Executlive producer" credits don't tell you what involvement, if any, the person had in the creative or day-to-day aspects of the show The credit is often used as a sort of honorarium, or sign of past creative involvement that entitles some recognition (and often some money). Stan Lee had "executive producer" credits on pretty much everything Marvel started before his death, but he didn't actually do work on anything in the MCU, other than his cameos.

Zardnaar

Legend
"Executlive producer" credits don't tell you what involvement, if any, the person had in the creative or day-to-day aspects of the show The credit is often used as a sort of honorarium, or sign of past creative involvement that entitles some recognition (and often some money). Stan Lee had "executive producer" credits on pretty much everything Marvel started before his death, but he didn't actually do work on anything in the MCU, other than his cameos.

Producers often don't have much to do with the story.

The writers do that, the director brings it to screen and the producers act as a go between from the studios and director. They can theoretically fire the director. Also they organize the behind the scenes stuff like set locations, logistics etc.

But yeah 10 is probably to many. Even if one is in charge.

And despite being super excited for Picard I only made it halfway through the season before I gave up: it was deeply flawed and more akin to Farscape than Star Trek.
Yeah, and given how they ended the first season, even though it's picked up for a second. . .how do you really continue a series called Star Trek: Picard, when the first season ends with .

I'm skeptical about a Pike-based series because it's even more of a prequel and they've already shown a seriously lackadaisical attitude towards continuity.

At this point, I'm wondering if they'll have a young Lieutenant Commander James Kirk show up early in the show and become Pike's protege or something.

smcc360

Explorer
Sounds like a blatant ripoff of The Orville! :geek:

But I hope they've really decided to focus on what made the original shows so enjoyable. I never watched Discovery, but this cast seems great.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm skeptical about a Pike-based series because it's even more of a prequel and they've already shown a seriously lackadaisical attitude towards continuity.

Continuity and canon have been given too much primacy, such that they have become like the chains of Jacob Marley upon franchises. I do not care if they violate continuity a bit, so long as the story is good.

Ryujin

Legend
Continuity and canon have been given too much primacy, such that they have become like the chains of Jacob Marley upon franchises. I do not care if they violate continuity a bit, so long as the story is good.

Depends on how you look at it. Canon and continuity can either be a straitjacket, or they can be an opportunity. An off-hand remark and a one episode character became a compelling story for "Axanar." On the other hand "Enterprise" squandered the possibilities of the founding of The Federation, choosing to follow bizarre story-lines for three seasons, only to really start to pursue it in any real way in the fourth. The numbers were pretty dismal.

The FASA Star Trek RPG days resulted in a Metric Tonne of ideas that could have been used to script multiple new series, but all of that was scrapped from canon.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Depends on how you look at it.

I am looking at it from the perspective of someone who just saw a prediction that failure to hold to continuity is a problem. Pretty clearly a "use continuity as a constraint" situation.

I agree that Enterprise squandered its opportunities until Manny Coto got the reins, but by then it was too late. That being said... having based its story on something from a FASA game would not have been a better choice. So, I don't think that claiming third-party story ideas are particularly grand holds here.

Remove ads