Star Trek: The Captain Poll (and general discussion, I guess)

Who is the BEST Star Trek Captain? (Choose 3)

• Benjamin Sisko

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Christopher Pike (Disco)

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Christopher Pike (TOS)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Gabriel Lorca

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James Tiberius Kirk (Kelvin Reboot)

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • James Tiberius Kirk (TOS)

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • Jean-Luc Picard

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Jonathan Archer

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Kathryn Janeway

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Phillipa Georgiou

• Robert April (TAS)

• Ummmmmm...... does Han Solo count?

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
So, Picard is a month away (well, kinda sorta ... end of January).

Star Trek 4 (Kelvin Timeline) is back on track. With Noah Hawley (Fargo, Legion) to write and direct.

Star Trek: Big Bad Mofo (the Tarantino one) is maybe sorta still out there.

ST: Disco is heading into season 3.

....and it looks like we also have ....

ST: Section 31

ST: Lower Decks (Animated)

..and maybe some more.

It's time for a poll! Specifically, who is your favorite Captain? In order to avoid complete boredom, we will open the choices up to 3 (3!) picks, and see where the chips fall. As for the criteria- who is the best? Whatever that means to you. Favorite, most in control, most able to rhyme with Jorca, whatevs.

Feel free to use the thread to gripe about the poll, or discuss Star Trek. :)

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Wait! The poll asks for best captain, but your post asks for favourite. Those are two completely different things. Archer is by far the best captain. He is calm under pressure and is forced to make many difficult decisions without pre-existing guidelines.

Picard however is my favourite captain.

lowkey13

Wait! The poll asks for best captain, but your post asks for favourite. Those are two completely different things. Archer is by far the best captain. He is calm under pressure and is forced to make many difficult decisions without pre-existing guidelines.

Picard however is my favourite captain.
"It's time for a poll! Specifically, who is your favorite Captain? In order to avoid complete boredom, we will open the choices up to 3 (3!) picks, and see where the chips fall. As for the criteria- who is the best? Whatever that means to you. Favorite, most in control, most able to rhyme with Jorca, whatevs. "

Trying to choose makes my brain start start to smoke like a ST:TOS computer given an illogical input....
That's why you get 3! :) Or, just vote straight LORCA!

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
"It's time for a poll! Specifically, who is your favorite Captain? In order to avoid complete boredom, we will open the choices up to 3 (3!) picks, and see where the chips fall. As for the criteria- who is the best? Whatever that means to you. Favorite, most in control, most able to rhyme with Jorca, whatevs. "
Damnit Jim, should have read through and not just skim it :D I can’t seem to be able to change the vote either... No matter, Archer is the best!

Mallus

Hero
In order:

Jim Kirk
Ben Sisko
Jean-Luc Picard

Honorable Mentions: Chris Pine playing Shatner playing Kirk (Kelvin), Pike (Disco), Pike (Kelvin)

Dishonorable Mention: Enterprise for wasting the natural charm of Scott Bakula.

Semi-honorable Mention (or, a gripe): Lorca would have been great if they didn't make him Full Evil by the end of Disco season 1. Would have been more interesting as the Mirror Universe's version of an honorable hero, ie more like Mirror Spock & Spock being basically the same.

lowkey13

Semi-honorable Mention (or, a gripe): Lorca would have been great if they didn't make him Full Evil by the end of Disco season 1. Would have been more interesting as the Mirror Universe's version of an honorable hero, ie more like Mirror Spock & Spock being basically the same.
Honestly, there were so many good ways they could have gone with the Lorca arc ...

and somehow, they went the worst way.

dragoner

Dying in Chargen
Oops, only chose one, Picard. The other two would be Janeway and Shatner Kirk; I think Janeway is hugely under-rated, esp for what the actress had to put up with. Picard still makes me smirk at being the most British Frenchman you ever saw. :LOL:

MarkB

Hero
Ben Sisko is my favourite, but he was never simply a captain, so it's tough to define him by that role.

TOS Jim Kirk is the best straight-up Captain whoever Captained, with Jean-Luc Picard a close second.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
and somehow, they went the worst way.
I expect they went the way that wraps up in one season, because Jason Isaacs is a really busy (and probably expensive) guy, and they likely weren't sure if a second season would happen when they wrote it.

And, honestly, I didn't mind how it went. There's a trope out there now that our villains are all nuanced to the point that you have sympathy with them. Screw that. Give us a good old, lying, cheating, power-hungry sonofamotherlessgoat every once in a while, too!

lowkey13

I expect they went the way that wraps up in one season, because Jason Isaacs is a really busy (and probably expensive) guy, and they likely weren't sure if a second season would happen when they wrote it.

And, honestly, I didn't mind how it went. There's a trope out there now that our villains are all nuanced to the point that you have sympathy with them. Screw that. Give us a good old, lying, cheating, power-hungry sonofamotherlessgoat every once in a while, too!
Well, agreed about Jason Isaacs being in demand.

But the "full evil" turn made a lot of the earlier episodes make less sense.

It would have been totally possible for them to do, for example, a more nuanced look at the difference between "idealistic" Federation and "ends justify the means" war-time Lorca. There was a lot of rich territory to mine, and, well, they didn't.

EDIT: just wanted to add that I genuinely enjoy Discovery, as it is trying to do stuff, new stuff even. I like shows that have some ambition, even when they fail. But man, Lorca was a swing and a miss, IMO.

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
It took me far too long to figure out what Disco was short for.

Sisko was and is my favourite, but I'm not sure if he really counts since he so rarely sat in command of a starship.

Advertisement