Star Wars: Andor

MarkB

Legend
Only watched one so far. I liked it, though I don't get why we get a foreign language and no subtitles.....I get they are trying to show is they are not part of the bigger empire in a way, but I never get movies and tv shows that do that when the characters understand the language.
I think the whole point is that it's basically a dead language.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I think the whole point is that it's basically a dead language.
Sure, but they understand it....I get the goal, not sure I love the execution. My wife watched a movie the other day where the characters started speaking french, and no subtitles?

MarkB

Legend
Sure, but they understand it....I get the goal, not sure I love the execution. My wife watched a movie the other day where the characters started speaking french, and no subtitles?
Usually it's a matter of how they choose to present the scene. If the protagonist is excluded from the conversation, then frequently so is the audience (and it's a little bonus for those who do speak the language).

Likewise, in this instance, the whole point is that nobody in the galaxy outside of those kids understand that language - and so, as outside observers, neither do we.

I don't think there's anything in those scenes where the general meaning can't be gathered from context.

Was it Prey?

Sometimes it's a choice to show that your POV character doesn't understand, so you in the audience share their confusion. That's Prey.

In Andor, I think it's done to hammer home how isolated they were before the outsiders came a knocking. It lets you understand that Cassian has no home. And you don't need subtitles because, well, all those other characters are probably dead. Nothing specific they said matters, just the emotion behind it.

The abandoned warehouse firefight scene is amazingly inventive. Anyone complaining about the "slowness" needs to watch episode 3.
The one from the extended trailer? *OTT nonsense

I'm two episodes in and aside from the zealot corporate Sgt I'm not finding anyone interesting.

* Maybe in the context of ep3 it will be better.

EDIT. Now watched all of ep3. Last ten minutes are good though my whole empathy is with the Corporate guys. I would play a game where you are those.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm not sure why y'all are explaining something I said I understood, that I disagree with art wise. I was merely pointing out it doesn't work for me art wise.

On another vein, Matt Colville is not a fan, apparently.

You mean when he looked down the hill and at the huge strip-mining operation, where some accident caused the operation, and the planet, to be abandoned? I can't figure out if the kids were born on the planet right before the accident, and all their adult family and tribal members died in whatever happened, or it has been a couple of generations, though a longer time period would not explain why there are no older people present. As for being the only one, he is looking for his sister, so I am sure we will get more flashbacks of the Republic ship sending down troops to investigate and evacuating all the other kids from the planet?

The flashbacks are post-clone wars, but before the Republic becomes the Empire, which I figured out after looking up Cassian's age. And that is something I have to call BS on, though. In trying to figure out when the flashbacks are set, I find that Cassian Andor is only 26 years old in Rogue One, as he is listed as being born in 26 BBY, making him merely 21 during Andor, while being played by a 42-year old actor (37 in Rogue One). I will never be able to believe the character is that young and that hurts the immersion some. Hopefully what this article talks about how the series is changing the canon about Cassian and making the character older is true.

I am reminded a bit of the Star Trek episode whose name I forgot about a civlization of children. There was a disease that killed off all the adults.

Maybe the mining accident lead to something similar. The people from the crashed ship didn't look like they all died in the crash, the ones that made it outside were strangely discolored.
Quite possibly the toxins (if it's not actually some disease) are spread across the planet and basically undectable to human senses - so eventually everyone that is old enough to be affected by it runs into some spot where the toxin lingers or is blown to, and then you die.

Even if the toxins didn't kill the children, it might have lingering effects - like Cassian growing old faster than normal...

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I never got the hate for Solo. It's just easy, breezy, unpretentious and fun sci-fi action.

I think it mainly just suffered from Star Wars burnout, with too many movies coming out in quick succession. Particularly amongst the people who feel obligated in some way to have hot takes on every Star Wars thing but who no longer actually enjoy the franchise (or at least don't enjoy it enough to be happy to go see something in a theater).
The problem was EP 8. People were so angry at that one that they decided they wanted to somehow unwatch it and get their money back. So, boycotting Solo was the next best thing... Seriously, I wanted to watch it in theaters, but I just didn't have the time at the time. I didn't feel in a hurry because being SW I was sure it would last a couple months, but come week three and it was just gone....

Remove ads