Star Wars d6/d20 Questions

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
Figured this would be the place to ask. ;)

Okay, I managed to get a copy of the original. Whoa nostalgia. :) There's been a huge bunch of Star Wars material up on the top shelf of the LGS, which the patron offered to me at a huge discount 'cause he's running out of room for all the new gaming product and he doesn't have space to devote to titles 10 years or more. Fair enough (and yay me!).

I was really surprised at what I found. When I started pulling down titles to see what I could get, easily half of them were source books outlining the novels! Now, I love the films, but have no interest in the books, and it surprised me to see how many had been adapted for campaign material.

Is the selection at the store skewed? Or was this viewed as a steady stream of new campaign material to adapt? Is there that much cross-over between those who read the fiction of the movies, and those who play the RPG?

Also, are people out there converting their old d6 suppliments for use in the d20 games? How's your success (or lackthereof) been? I picked up the Heroes and Rogues book, the Locations book (I forget the title), an adaptation of the areas covered in the Solo books (the ... erm, well, that book, the one with all the bad stuff!) and the adaptation of the Dark Force comic series, plus an Instant Adventures module. All told I picked them up for $35 CAN, so I was mucho impressed. I just hope they will be friendly to adapt. :)

Jack Haggerty

First Post
I've got tons of WEG material, and use it mostly as source material. Vehicles and equipment are easy enough to convert, but NPC characters can be a pain... I've pretty much just taken NPC histories and personalities, and rebuilt an entirely new set of D20 stats around that.

Right now, my big project is to convert WEG's "Lords of the Expanse" boxed campaign setting.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, WEG probably put out close to 80 or so Star Wars RPG products. It's hard to put out just that many on 3 movies. I would also wager that aren't that many SW RPG fans that have zero interest in the novels/comics/audiobooks/graphic novels.

I would say about 10-12 products were based mostly on the movies. The movie sourcebook, about half the galaxy guides, the Rebel sourcebook, the Imperial sourcebook, the death star book. Some of the early adventures, like "Crisis on Cloud City" and "Who's eating the Ewoks?"

I guess about 15-20 or so covered various novels + comics. Some were actually developed with (in part) the author.

The rest is generally original (like Lords of the Expanse setting mentioned by someone else), or fairly generic (like the book on Scouts, or Bounty Hunters).

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The novel sourcebooks were a bit oddly done.

For instance, you get an entire hardcover sourcebook for one novel (and not a very good one), but then you have 7 novels (of varying quality) crammed together in one softcover notebook.

And worse, no Lando Calrissian novel sourcebook. That always annoyed me. Lando was my favorite movie character, after Princess Leia anyway.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
By the sounds of it, the section in the LGS had been picked clean of the 'core suppliments', giving the impression it was more novel-favored than not.

80+? Kewl... o_O

Ah well, just one more thing to add to my "Searching For" list next time I venture to Toronto. :)

Remove ads