• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy. It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good. I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team. Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their...

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

delericho

Legend
That doesn't mean they didn't calculate anything - it just means they had a very narrow opening to start out from (the docking bay opening).

They certainly didn't show them calculating it - certainly nothing on a par with the calculation shown in the original film when fleeing Tattooine.

Though perhaps the Falcon had had an upgrade in the interim - does Moore's Law apply even there?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Huh. That was too subtle and fast for me to get on the one viewing. If he really intended that to be a point to get across, they needed a slightly different edit.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They certainly didn't show them calculating it - certainly nothing on a par with the calculation shown in the original film when fleeing Tattooine.

Though perhaps the Falcon had had an upgrade in the interim - does Moore's Law apply even there?

Unfortunately, it is pretty clear that technology in the Star Wars Galaxy is pretty stagnant.

I think it is more that Han Solo is the bestofthebestofthebest, and can do things on the fly that others need computers for.

Or, alternatively - the bad guys were shooting at him, and a thing was trying to eat his ship. Staying where he was just wasn't an option. The risk of a blind jump vs the risk of certain death? You take the blind jump.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, I completely missed it as well - I only knew because of that article I linked.

What I did get from that scene read to me as less "Force ghosts" and more "Force-driven precognition and post-cognition". I will see it at least one more time, and will watch for it then to see if my opinion changes.

delericho

Legend
Unfortunately, it is pretty clear that technology in the Star Wars Galaxy is pretty stagnant.

Yep.

Or, alternatively - the bad guys were shooting at him, and a thing was trying to eat his ship. Staying where he was just wasn't an option. The risk of a blind jump vs the risk of certain death? You take the blind jump.

Yeah, that would be my guess, too. I really don't like the hyperbole attached to Han in much of the EU, and was actually very glad to see that TFA showed him as a much more fallible, and thus human, character. So I'd rather he not be considered the bestofthebestofthebest. :)

Cor Azer

First Post
Yep.

Yeah, that would be my guess, too. I really don't like the hyperbole attached to Han in much of the EU, and was actually very glad to see that TFA showed him as a much more fallible, and thus human, character. So I'd rather he not be considered the bestofthebestofthebest. :)

I haven't read much of the EU, but yeah, to me Han always came off as more (over?) confident and extremely lucky as opposed to best of the best of the best.

Cor Azer

First Post

I only saw it once, and was a bit in the giddy/excited mood, so I may be giving it more slack.

That said, a quick/blind calculation doesn't mean a hyperspace lane wasn't used.

And one change to the Falcon was made (although neither Han or Rey considers it an upgrade), so maybe others were too.

ccs

41st lv DM
The Hosnian system, which is destroyed, is not the New Republic's seat. It is just the nearest Republic system to the Starkiller Station, not unlike the Death Star test on Alderaan, or the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Pearl Harbor was not attacked because it was the nearest target. It was attacked because it was an important target.

And your wrong as to why the Empire destroyed Alderaan as well....
(Though to be fair Lucas might have altered that in some version with his constant tinkering)

ccs

41st lv DM

I think it is more that Han Solo is the bestofthebestofthebest, and can do things on the fly that others need computers for.

Or maybe raise your rear shields, fly out of blaster rifle range at normal(?) Speed & then plot a course.....
I mean if your not willing to jump blind when Star Destroyers are shooting at you, why risk it because of mere rifles?

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads