• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy. It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good. I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team. Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their...

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

Curmudjinn

Explorer
A strong conversation going on was that Rey was at the school, and possibly part of the defectors or significant to Ben Solo, relating to Kylo dispatching the Jedi that was attacking her in her vision. Many think it was Ben himself that dropped Rey off on Jakku, hoping to hide her from the whole thing.
This was to explain why he lost it when they said "a girl" was helping Finn. The random force pull strangle seemed excessive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
It should be noted she was on the planet where the Falcon ended up, which we are told was stolen, but we don't know when it was stolen, it is possible that she was on it at the time it was taken.
If I was Han, and wanted to hide (from Leia? From a Force-user who frightens even Luke?), I would HAVE to give up the Millenium Falcon - it is distinctive, unique, has its own legend a-building, can be used to track me like I had a neon searchlight hung around my neck. I'd arrange to have it quote stolen unquote so the new owner can draw off attention while I go hide - since I'm not likely to call a cop about it, right?

In several of the novels, we see a random Imperial sensor officer report to his Captain, "Sir, I've detected a YZ-104 freighter with non-standard modifications." "Hmmm, I wonder what ship THAT could be. Battle stations !" And I can see similar happening in the new Movie Universe.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
A strong conversation going on was that... <snip>
If Disney is smart, they will lift fan ideas for plot points, and work them into future movies.
Because it's a REAL draw when you see something happen (or hear it said) and realize, "I guessed right!"

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't think so. I mean, sure you learn them, but everybody does. I can't think of anyone who was unable to understand droid beeps. I figure everyone grows up learning it.

C3PO has to translate for R2D2 in Jabba's lair in Return of the Jedi and I'm pretty sure he has translated for others. I always thought that it was droids and Jedi/force sensitives who could pick up what was being said. It might just be a plot device to understand or not, though.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
There's a lot of unanswered questions in the film--exactly the way that there were a lot of unanswered questions after A New Hope came out.

What is this "Sith"? Now, it is, "Who are the Knights of Ren?"

It was, "what do we know about the Old Republic and now, the Empire?" Now, it's, "What is the Resistance, and what is their place in the Republic? What is the First Order?"

There were important people that we know little about: Dodonna and Wedge Antilles. Here, it's Lor San Tekka and Max Kanata.

In A New Hope, we saw a large Star Destroyer that blocked out our view overhead. Here, we saw an even larger Star Destroyer that blocked out the sight of a planet.

The Death Star = Starkiller Base.

The desert planet of Jakku. And, of course, Tatooine.

Grand Moff Tarkin. General Hux.

And so on.

I think that we sometimes take for granted the 38 years of information we've learned about the Star Wars universe that was outside of the first film.

With this sequel/re-launch, we're in basically the same place, almost 40 years later.

Yeah. This movie was essentially a re-make of A New Hope. I thought it was brilliant, though. If they had announced a re-make of A New Hope, there would have been riots in the streets. However, by billing it as Episode VII and altering things slightly, they produced a great movie that is a strong foundation for going off into different directions for Episodes VIII and IX.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Yeah. This movie was essentially a re-make of A New Hope. I thought it was brilliant, though. If they had announced a re-make of A New Hope, there would have been riots in the streets. However, by billing it as Episode VII and altering things slightly, they produced a great movie that is a strong foundation for going off into different directions for Episodes VIII and IX.

What is Old will be New Again.

-- Jedi proverb​

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A strong conversation going on was that Rey was at the school, and possibly part of the defectors or significant to Ben Solo, relating to Kylo dispatching the Jedi that was attacking her in her vision. Many think it was Ben himself that dropped Rey off on Jakku, hoping to hide her from the whole thing.

I don't think this will turn out to be true. By the flashback, is seem she was very young when she was left on Jakku. Little children do not make credible defectors. And it doesn't seem plausible that he would then not reference that at all when they did meet.

This was to explain why he lost it when they said "a girl" was helping Finn. The random force pull strangle seemed excessive.

It was excessive. That's the point - he's immature and prone to throwing tantrums. He is not Darth Vader, not calm, cool, and in control - the contrast that he's a somewhat childish wannabe is strong and intentional. It has nothing to do with it being a girl, specifically, and everything to do with yet another entity in the universe thwarting his desires.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't think this will turn out to be true. By the flashback, is seem she was very young when she was left on Jakku. Little children do not make credible defectors. And it doesn't seem plausible that he would then not reference that at all when they did meet.

It was excessive. That's the point - he's immature and prone to throwing tantrums. He is not Darth Vader, not calm, cool, and in control - the contrast that he's a somewhat childish wannabe is strong and intentional. It has nothing to do with it being a girl, specifically, and everything to do with yet another entity in the universe thwarting his desires.

I think she will turn out to be his sister or cousin. The way the Solos acted with her and Ren's preoccupation with her seem to strongly hint at family ties.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads