Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy. It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good. I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team. Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their...

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Just need to say two things after reading the whole thread...

1) Why can't anybody here say good things about the Force Awakens without also saying mean things about parts I-III? The prequels are part of somebody childhood too...

2) It's been less than a week and we already have shipping.... really? (Having said that, I think good names would be Fey -Finn/Rey- and Foe -Finn/Poe-. Team Poe for the win! )

WIll post my actual feeling later

1) Why can't anybody here say good things about the Force Awakens without also saying mean things about parts I-III? The prequels are part of somebody childhood too...

2) It's been less than a week and we already have shipping.... really? (Having said that, I think good names would be Fey -Finn/Rey- and Foe -Finn/Poe-. Team Poe for the win! )

What, no Prey?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

What does "shipping" mean in the context that you used it?

MarkB

Legend

Short for "relationshipping", it's the tendency of fans to assign romantic relationships to characters in an ongoing fiction, and to factionalise in their support of those potential relationships.

Staffan

Legend

"Ship" as in "relationship". Basically, significant portions of the fanbase going "these two* characters should be in a romantic relationship with one another" even if such a thing is at best hinted at in the source material. In fandom, this goes back at least to Star Trek TOS, when you had portions of the fanbase shipping Kirk with Spock, even if that's not the term used at the time.

* Occasionally more.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Canon nevertheless ;)

I saw the movie again today - actually, several folks call him "Ren". So, to them at least, it is pretty much a surname.

Which starts to make it look like the Knights of Ren are named after him... and that makes them even more a sop to his immature ego....

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
What, no Prey?

But they don't really interact with each other, they barely share a scene, Chewey is way more likely, with them bonding over the Millenium Falcon and comforting each other over their mutual loss.... That would be a good FF... we could even change the names and publish it to closet furries!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I saw the movie again today - actually, several folks call him "Ren".
Likewise... I noticed Finn to another trooper ('Ren wants the prisoner'), and Hux a couple of times, when he was being dismissive and contemptuous.

Hux obviously has a military/technological vs Force/mysticism rivalry going on with Ren. Makes me wonder if the average stormtrooper takes his (or her) cue from Hux, referring to him as 'Ren' as a mark of contempt for his immaturity and childishness... but not to his face on account of his power (... and immaturity and childishness...)

-Hyp.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads