Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy. It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good. I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team. Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their...

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'd say all of those support the idea it's a title. It doesn't have the weight of Darth, so no calling him "lord", but also no one calls his Kylo. Imo, part of that is simply that Ren has a better ring than Kylo, which sounds like a diminutive form of a girl name, but in universe in sure there is a better reason.
The ginger nazi calling him Ren could lead either way. On the title side, he could be calling him that as a cold formality. Too professional to be openly disrespectful to the Supreme Leaders pet force adept, but too distrustful of him and his methods to be informal or do or say anything that might break the ice.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'd say all of those support the idea it's a title. It doesn't have the weight of Darth, so no calling him "lord", but also no one calls his Kylo. Imo, part of that is simply that Ren has a better ring than Kylo, which sounds like a diminutive form of a girl name, but in universe in sure there is a better reason. ��
The ginger nazi calling him Ren could lead either way. On the title side, he could be calling him that as a cold formality. Too professional to be openly disrespectful to the Supreme Leaders pet force adept, but too distrustful of him and his methods to be informal or do or say anything that might break the ice.
The way Hux says 'Ren', though - the tone he uses - makes it sound like a veiled substitution for 'Monkey-Boy, here'.

'... But Ren didn't feel the droid was necessary any longer.'

It definitely doesn't feel like it's in any way a term of respect when he says it.

-Hyp.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The way Hux says 'Ren', though - the tone he uses - makes it sound like a veiled substitution for 'Monkey-Boy, here'.

It definitely doesn't feel like it's in any way a term of respect when he says it.

-Hyp.

I didn't say respect. He just can't openly disrespect him, so he settles for cold formality, and lets his tone speak for him. Imo, it wouldn't fir the character AT ALL to have Hux speak familiarly with a rival he either hates, or at least thinks is full of crap/screwing up the mission with poor decisions. IMO, that character uses a formal title and derisive tone while sticking to the letter of formality, at least in front of a superior.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Imo, part of that is simply that Ren has a better ring than Kylo, which sounds like a diminutive form of a girl name...

Really? That's an issue a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away? Poor wannabe dark lord has a girly name? Base sexism's going to be the issue?

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Seen it three times now. I love this movie. Sure its a bit of a repeat of Episodes 4 and 6 mashed together, but I don't mind. Get that out of the way so they can focus on doing new things. I know I will see it at least a couple more times in theaters. :D

Maz Kinada is one of my new favorite characters in the Star Wars universe. I think she had one of the most important lines in the entire movie when she talked about how there is only the one war worth fighting, the Light Side vs the Dark Side, and I believe that the next two movies will focus on that immensely.

I also really like Kylo Ren, seeing just how messed up he is, and how far he felt he had to try to become a dark sider before he eventually will redeem himself, which I believe he will do as him killing his father probably messed him up way more than he was expecting. That's my fan theory at the moment.

Now I am just wondering how they will start Episode 8. Will they start right where 7 left off, with Luke and Rey staring at each other and us hearing their first words to each other, or will it begin a year or two later, after he has probably trained her and after Kylo Ren has received more training?

It's a thinly veiled Ren & Stimpy joke. Think of Kylo Ren as Ren and you'll never see the movie the same way again.

Stacie GmrGrl said:
Maz Kinada is one of my new favorite characters in the Star Wars universe. I think she had one of the most important lines in the entire movie when she talked about how there is only the one war worth fighting, the Light Side vs the Dark Side, and I believe that the next two movies will focus on that immensely.

I'm hoping we get to see more of her. She's an effective mentor/sage character, a good reboot of Yoda, and it would be a shame if this were her only appearance.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

-Hyp.

Replace the use of 'Ren' with 'Duke' or a similar title and see how it plays.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads