Star Wars The Most Overused Tropes?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well, we have seen some movement on this, with B2EMO in Andor being actually treated with care and respect.
Yep, a very humane take on things. B2EMO was basically a family member with failing mental faculties.
The Mandalorian's touch on the subject in season 3 felt like a misstep though, with the whole "droids are so much longer-lived than humanoids, they feel like it's the least they can do to help them out" bit. If there's one thing I detest more than a fictional slave race, it's a fictional slave race that's explained as being happier that way, to the extent that trying to free them would be cruel and harmful.
And that was super-gross and horrifying.

Think "consenting" BDSM relationships in which the the taget of abuse has been groomed from childhood, and it would be closer.
The thing with consent is that you can choose to give it or not. You have a choice. But it's suggested Droids generally don't choose, somehow they are innately servile and want only this? Is that still a meaningful form of consent?

And the rationale of "they are programmed to be this way" - that isn't that different from real world excuses. "They are lesser humans. They weren't chosen by god. They couldn't handle the freedom" or whatever reasons they came up with. It's just questionable.
But the worst part mayb emight be that the Jedi were using clone soldiers. These people are real humans, but were programmed to become fighters. That's basically the sci-fi totalitarian nightmare.

Zardnaar

Legend
The thing with consent is that you can choose to give it or not. You have a choice. But it's suggested Droids generally don't choose, somehow they are innately servile and want only this? Is that still a meaningful form of consent?

And the rationale of "they are programmed to be this way" - that isn't that different from real world excuses. "They are lesser humans. They weren't chosen by god. They couldn't handle the freedom" or whatever reasons they came up with. It's just questionable.
But the worst part mayb emight be that the Jedi were using clone soldiers. These people are real humans, but were programmed to become fighters. That's basically the sci-fi totalitarian nightmare.
Driids lack free will ((most of them) so it's debatable how sentient they are. Data in Trek has free will most droids don't.

Disney hasn't gone into it but legends had drouds right groups, droid revolts and fully sentient AI species and individuals.

MarkB

Legend
Yeah, that's why I detest it - the real-world parallels are pretty awful.
My headcanon is that one thing led to the other. The Republic, even the Jedi, were so inured to keeping sentient slaves in the form of droids that they didn't notice the extra line they'd crossed with the clones.

Yeah, that's why I detest it - the real-world parallels are pretty awful.

My headcanon is that one thing led to the other. The Republic, even the Jedi, were so inured to keeping sentient slaves in the form of droids that they didn't notice the extra line they'd crossed with the clones.
It kinda feels though like the writer(s) forgot that, too, because it is barely ever adressed (certainly not in the movies).

It might have been even a good motivation for some Seperatist or renegade Jedi or something that sees the use of clone soldiers as abhorrent and evidence of the Republic's and the Jedi Order's corruption.

Remove ads