Star Wars The Most Overused Tropes?

Scribe

Legend
Is any of this handled either within the canon or deconstructed? I have to admit I dont have any deep dive history on Star Wars. I watched the movies a ton growing up, watched the pre/sequels, and dabbled with some of the other media in the setting, but it doesnt seem like the conclusions, are what Lucas would have had in mind when making the setting.

Ryujin

Legend
Is any of this handled either within the canon or deconstructed? I have to admit I dont have any deep dive history on Star Wars. I watched the movies a ton growing up, watched the pre/sequels, and dabbled with some of the other media in the setting, but it doesnt seem like the conclusions, are what Lucas would have had in mind when making the setting.
I've been trying to catch up on the cartoons, lately, and the fate of the clones is somewhat dealt with in "The Bad Batch." Obviously between the prequels and the original movie series, something happens that makes The Empire move away from clone troops. Even Luke wanted to join up and fly Tie Fighters, if memory serves. The Empire starts to "decommission" the clones in favour of volunteer and conscripted regular citizens, during the run of "The Bad Batch." Some clone troopers are out on the streets, begging, even before this.

Zardnaar

Legend

In legends sort of Disney nope.

Basically one of the Clone trainers pipelines a few to Mabadalore and Fett ends up as Mandalore.

One of the Mandalorians was also force sensitive.

Lucas sold it because he didn't have anything in particular "in mind" after RotJ (chronologically). After stressing over it, he made is someone else's problem.

But if forced he would probably gone with something like the Mortis saga (TCW) - very mystical, surreal, and unlikely to be popular either with hardcore fans or casual viewers.

Would have been a win for creativity and Art House cinema though.

Last edited:

I remember reading something about the "Whills" as a microscopic lifeform that was part of George Lucas' ideas. I found this right now: Whills

Doesn't really jive that well with me, and if Lucas really would be writing more Star Wars stuff, who knows if that is what he would actually go with, especially if he was collaborating with others, like for a movie or series.

I remember reading something about the "Whills" as a microscopic lifeform that was part of George Lucas' ideas. I found this right now: Whills

Doesn't really jive that well with me, and if Lucas really would be writing more Star Wars stuff, who knows if that is what he would actually go with, especially if he was collaborating with others, like for a movie or series.
Star Wars presented GL with a huge problem. He new he was sitting on a hugely valuable IP, but creatively, he was finished with it. He had completed his great Joseph Campbell experiment. He had done what he could to warn people of the insidious nature of fascism. Following the midichlorian backlash he was well aware that the fanbase would hate the only thing he thought might be interesting - going metaphysical and deep-diving into the nature of the Force, and allegorically, real world religion.

Scribe

Legend
Star Wars presented GL with a huge problem. He new he was sitting on a hugely valuable IP, but creatively, he was finished with it. He had completed his great Joseph Campbell experiment. He had done what he could to warn people of the insidious nature of fascism. Following the midichlorian backlash he was well aware that the fanbase would hate the only thing he thought might be interesting - going metaphysical and deep-diving into the nature of the Force, and allegorically, real world religion.

Makes me wonder what draws people to SW. Obviously a large and beloved IP, its going to appeal to many for many different reasons, but I'd be there for a metaphysical navel gaze on the Force and religion. :ROFLMAO:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Meditations on the nature of the Force is cool (which is why KoTOR II is good) and also pew pew vrrrrrm laser sword fun is cool (which is why KoTOR I is good)

Meditations on the nature of the Force is cool (which is why KoTOR II is good) and also pew pew vrrrrrm laser sword fun is cool (which is why KoTOR I is good)
Pew pew vrrrrrm is also easy, if you aren't also trying to be deep and meaningful at the same time, which is why it's easier for me to create an adventure for a Star Wars RPG than it is for GL (or Disney) to create a 3 movie epic saga.

Remove ads