Star Wars: The Other Young Jedi Knights

Angcuru

First Post
Kylara said:
I always really liked that series of books, I'd just about kill to play in a game in this setting. Keep up the story hour. :)
I've got some slots open in a PbP game if you're interested. ;) And yes, he must keep up with the story hour-y goodness. :)

Kylara

First Post
Angcuru said:
I've got some slots open in a PbP game if you're interested. ;) And yes, he must keep up with the story hour-y goodness. :)

Its the setting and the atmosphere of the Young Jedi Knights series of books that does it for me. All I can say is I am waiting with bated breath for the next update :D

Really glad you all like this. :) Sorry for lack of update yesterday...insanely busy this week(family member in hospital, nothing serious, but I've been stuck doing the organizing of phone calls and such from the rest of the family).

I WILL post the update tonight(along with the usual Wednesday update to my other SH :)).

And as a random note, obviously, I too love the YJK time period. In fact, the whole New Republic(pre-NJO) era is probably my absolute favourite era. But the YJK books just really did something for me when I read them. Absolutely loved them, despite how odd some of the events that occured were. Was just a lot of fun to read, and its why Jacen Solo's my favorite of the Star Wars characters now. :)

Chapter 6: We Aren't Alone

Sitting at the edge of the water, Cowan sighed. It was boring out here. Sure, it was a nice place to look at, but that only worked for so long. Once you’d been on Yavin IV for more than a month, it was just another lake with forest around it. In the end, they were all pretty much the same. Though, truthfully, all the ancient columns and other stones that had interesting engravings on them were at least mildly interesting.

With another look over the water, he wondered if Cira had drowned. It had been a good while since she’d dove down under the water. But no, bodies would usually float up, wouldn’t they? Cowan shrugged to himself. She’d be up eventually. Then they could keep going and get back and he wouldn’t have to even see her for another twelve or so hours. And that brought up another tangent. Had he really been here so long that he was no longer phased in any way by an at least relatively attractive young woman stripping down to her underclothes?

Apparently, he had, and Cowan wasn’t even sure if that was a bad thing or not. But it was something. Another random thought to take up time while he waited for her to reappear. His excuse for simply sitting there was, currently, that he was guarding her tunic. Not that he would stop anyone that happened to walk by and take it...but this was Yavin IV, and nothing like that ever happened anyway...so he was back to sitting and being useless only a second after coming up with an excuse.

And then, finally, a hand escaped from the water. A moment later, Cira’s head appeared and she was gasping for breath. He sat up slightly, noticing that she was still holding her arm above the water. She was...holding something. Cowan tried to look harder but couldn’t make out whatever it was. So, he waited until she’d managed to swim closer before asking the obvious, “What is that?”

Without actually saying anything, Cira threw the thing his direction. It flew in a long arc, and Cowan had to jump back slightly and reach out to catch it. And, of course, it hurt. After yelping out of surprise more than actual pain, he realized he was holding a small(and sharp edged) clear blue crystal of some kind or another. He flipped it over and idly inspecting it and, when she had gotten out of the water and had a seat in the grass not too far from him, he asked the next question, “Where was it?”

At first, it sounded as if Cira wasn’t going to dignify that with an answer, but she lay back and did her best not to use any sarcasm at all(as there was enough tension between them as is, and she was getting tired of it), “Small cave down there. I think someone else has been there...that one was all that was left.”

“Ah...” Cowan trailed off before tossing it back over to her, “Guess that means we have to keep going.”

Cira caught it gracefully and then lay the small crystal down on her tunic which was still on the ground next to her, “Its still early in the day, we have time.”

With nothing to say to that, the usual silence returned. Cowan forced back a sigh as he did his best to think. No...not think. Feel. The best way to get back and be done with this was to find where the Force was calling him to. So...do that, then away from Cira, and no more annoyances until the next day. Some break was better than none, at least.

“You want to start moving on or keep resting for a little while longer?” Cira broke the silence with a tone that any normal person would have identified as friendly, and even attempting to be helpful, but, of course, Cowan didn’t see it that way. To him, it just sounded pushy any annoying.

This time, he did allow himself a dramatic sigh before glancing over to her, “I was waiting on you.”

As he idly dusted himself and got back to his feet, Cira sighed, too. One day, she was just going to give up trying with him. She was beginning to think he was just trying to provoke her to get into a fight with him so he had an excuse to start claiming that he was right all along. Not that she would give him the pleasure of that, but one day she was going to harm him if he kept this up.

“Just a second, then,” she said calmly before getting up and trying her best to get the rest of the dirt off of her before pulling on her tunic and the rest of her clothes again. She didn’t mind being damp, so it wasn’t really a problem at all. After clasping the belt and putting the crystal in one of them small pockets attached to said belt, she tried to straighten out the deep blue tunic before motioning off in a random direction, “Lead on.”

Cowan had, intelligently for once, been reaching out with the Force to the best of his ability and trying to focus. When he saw her point, though, he’d figured out a direction and shook his head, “This way.”

He started them north even more. They headed back into the thick jungle and towards the mountains that were no longer very far off. An hour and they were in the foothills, with the jungle turning into more of a loose collection of trees that was probably more of a forest now...if there was such a difference. And, thankfully, they were closer now. Cowan could feel that much. It was just a matter of determining exactly where he needed to go and then finding out how to get there.

“Cira,” he said the word over his shoulder in a tone that was very surprising. It wasn’t as antagonistic as usual. In fact, it was almost friendly.

Almost worried by this, she raised an eyebrow and asked, “Yeah?”

“Did you hear that?” this time he stopped and turned to face her. There was an look of concentration on his face, which was definitely trying to mask at least a hint of fear.

“Nooo...” she said more quietly this time, trying to focus on the sounds of the forest around them, “What am I listening for?”

Cowan waited to respond. Then, after a moment, he nodded, “That.”

Now confused, Cira shook her head slowly and tried not to wonder if the Thyferran was losing his mind. She bit her lower lip before saying slowly, “Still not hearing it...”

“I thought you were supposed to be better at this outdoors surviving than I am!” Cowan suddenly growled and threw up his arms in frustration, “It wasn’t even that quiet! I don’t see how you cou----“

The words were not so much cut off as drowned out...drowned out by a deep, and of course, very loud roar. It lasted for at least ten seconds, and the echo another twenty. When it had finally passed, the two young apprentices stared straight at each other, eyes wide and gaping.

Finally, Cowan managed to mumble, “...something like that, actually.”

Cira allowed herself a very slow nod, with one hand managing to move in slow motion to the blaster pistol that was on her hip, “...I did hear that.”

The only sound that followed for a few moments other than Cira removing her blaster pistol and checking the power pack in it. After that, she whispered, “Why are we not running from here?”

This was the part Cowan hadn’t been sure about. This was also the part he was really starting to hate. But he then got his own blaster pistol out and nodded towards the direction they were going(which just happened to also be the direction the angry roar had originated from), “I think I need to go that way.”

“Typical,” Cira said with a sigh and the slightly hint of a grin.

The same tiny expression tugged at Cowan’s face, “Yeah...at least we’ll have a good story to tell tonight.”

“Let’s just make sure we’re able to tell it.”

Chapter 7: We Aren't Alone Either

It was not the movement at the edge of the forest that caused a sudden panic in both Gant and Esah. That was not a problem at all, as it could have easily been an animal of some kind. However, as the two of them moved around and slowly towards the tree line where they saw the movement, there was a sound that turned both of them to ice.

Snap-hiss!

The Mon Calamari and Miraluka exchanged a sudden glance of terror between each other. Only one thing in the entire galaxy made that sound. Esah’s hand was immediately going to the blaster pistol at her belt, and she was starting to worry about the fact that Gant had(yet again) refused to carry a weapon. They could both feel the aggression seeping from the tree line.

And then, a half second later, there was more movement. Esah’s large eyes were only able to catch a red and black blur shoot out of the trees and straight for them. Thanks to the Force, she jumped back and out of the way of the loud thrumming red blade that slashes straight through where both she and Gant had been standing. While her hand continue to fumble for the blaster pistol, her eyes tried to take in the figure that was no longer a blur in front of her.

Human. Definitely human...male? Yes. A little shorter than she was and probably about the same age as Cowan was. Black tunic...black robe...short, close-cropped blonde hair...two piercing yellow eyes glared at her next to the glowing red of the lightsaber in the young man’s hands.

“Die Jedi scum!” the human growled just as she got the blaster up and aimed at him. But he was moving again, too. Two steps forward and the lightsaber was swinging in a long arc to cut her across the waist. Somehow, Esah managed to twist around the swing. Remembering the meager combat training she’d been given so far, Esah saw the opening and ignore that there was a blaster in her left hand. Instead, she stepped into the young human, so close that he wouldn’t be able to bring his lightsaber around to swing at her, and drove her elbow into his stomach.

He gasped painfully, but managed to bring an arm around to punch her hard across the head. Esah stumbled back a few steps, dropping her blaster in the process as the world was spinning around her, and tried to do her best not to fall to the ground, too. And then, just as the human was preparing to run her through, he was sent flying forward and past her, face first into the dirt.

The Mon Calamari blinked, but then saw Gant moving closer. She noticed, also, that his robes were burnt across the left side. That hadn’t been there a few seconds earlier...

But she could hear movement behind her, and spun around to make sure her back was not to their attacker. He was back on his feet now, taking two steps away and raising his crimson coloured lightsaber in front of him in a defensive position that both of them were able to recognized. Immediately, Esah went for the blaster pistol on the ground, attempting to use the Force to call it to her hand. That brought their attacker out of his defensive stance.

He quickly dove forward at her, slicing down to take off her fin-shaped hand that was extended out towards the blaster pistol. But it was now very apparent that this young man was definitely young. He ignored Gant, and so the Miraluka quickly took advantage of this. The human wasn’t even close to Esah when Gant’s fist connected with his face.

There was a loud crack, followed by a cry of pain. This time, though, it was their attacker that stumbled back, his nose broken and bleeding. By now, the blaster pistol was in Esah’s hand, and she quickly spun it around to aim it at the human, “Do not move!”

For a second, he froze. In that short second, a fear could be seen in his eyes. It was deep, ingrained, and so potent that Esah was amazed the young man didn’t just run off then and there. But it only lasted for that second. When it had passed, a look of pure rage replaced it, and he let out an angry growl before charging forward recklessly.

The lightsaber swung in another long arc, but this time at lightning fast speed. The Force saved the two Jedi apprentices. Gant sidestepped the swipe, though the tip of the lightsaber left another burn mark across his tunic, an he quickly reacted by calling on the Force and launching it at their attacker as a huge, heavy wall. It slammed into the young man just as Esah ducked under the horizontal swing. He was sent back a good two meters, before another distinct sound shot out through the clearing.

Two sounds, actually. Both of them were the same sound, just as distinct as that of a lightsaber, and one that was all too common, also. Blaster fire.

Gant did not actually have to turn his head to see, but rather turn his focus in the Force. He did this, ‘looking’ from the empty place where their attacker had been to where his Mon Calamari companion was. She held her blaster pistol stretched out and aimed forward, though there was a look of surprise on her face(something that Gant had found was hard to identify, but instead gathered it from feeling her emotions rather than from ‘sight’). Shifting his vision along the path of the blaster’s aim, he saw the young human was on his back on the ground, sprawled out and lightsaber deactivated.

There were two black scorch marks on his chest.

In the silence, he suddenly became aware of another sound. Breathing. Heavy breathing...from Esah.

“Are you alright?” he asked, turning his focus back to her to make sure she hadn’t been injured.

Esah whispered in a distinctly watery voice, “I shouldn’t have done that...”

“He would have killed us,” Gant said calmly, suddenly realizing what her problem was, “It was an act of self defense. You did not murder him.”

Slowly, her head turned to face him, and eventually she managed a small nod. When she finally spoke again, she asked a question they were both thinking, “Who is that...?”

Gant shook his head, “I do not know. I...do not recognize him.”

“We should take him...um...” Esah paused a moment, then corrected herself, “...the body back to Master Skywalker.”

“I agree,” the Miraluka said with a nod before stepping over to pick up the smaller human. Over his shoulder, Gant said, “Whoever he was...whatever he was doing here, I do not think that Master Skywalker is going to like this.”

Esah sighed and nodded while she carefully holstered the blaster pistol, “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

Tamlyn

Explorer
We'll I'm officially hooked. I've had no experience with SW d20 or the book series, but thanks to your 2 SH's I'm about to dig into both. Thanks for opening my eyes!

~Tam

Chapter 8: Predator

The forest had gone eerily silent. The only thing that Cira could hear was her and Cowan’s breathing. They had stood there in the same spot, blasters ready and eyes looking up the hill ahead of them where the distance roar had originated from. But nothing had happened. Nothing at all...so little nothing that both of them were extremely worried.

“We need to go that way...right?” Cira whispered, barely breaking the horrible silence.

Cowan nodded, and soon realized that she was waiting on him to make the first move. Besides, she’d gotten what she was out here for. It also might have had to do with the fact that she was at least a little afraid of what might be up there waiting on them...not that she wouldn’t still shoot at it, but it would be nice not to be the front line with someone like Cowan(who might not shoot to keep her alive) behind her.

As carefully as he could, Cowan started up the steep hill, stepping around one of the nearest trees in the process. Cira was behind him by only a few paces, her blaster pistol up and ready for any movement, and her mind stretching out with the Force as best she could manage. From the feel of it, Cowan was attempting the same thing.

They made it up to the top of the hill without being mauled. It led up to what looked to be the foothills of the jungle-covered mountains. The ground rose and fell for as far as they could see...which, in fact, wasn’t very far at all because of the extremely dense population of trees and underbrush. They exchanged glances to make sure the other hadn’t noticed anything, and Cowan started forward again.

He made it a step and a half. Suddenly, there was loud, predatory growl and a blur of movement. The dark coloured blur shot out of a small ditch in front of them, diving forward like a lightning bolt and slamming into Cowan hard...and claws first, he quickly discovered. The force of the impact sent Cowan back and onto the ground below, nearly sending him back down the steep hill and head first into one of the trees. Thankfully, though, he didn’t make it that far, and the creature’s claws simply dug into his chest deeper as they raked across him. It was, sadly, better than the alternative.

Now, though, Cira was actually able to see the thing. It was a large, black furred feline creature of some sort, with a thick tail, two long ears that were hard to miss, and powerful legs with extremely sharp looking claws extended out from the paws. Trying to ignore the fact that the thing was tearing at Cowan, she lined up her blaster and squeezed off a quick shot.

The loud sound of the blaster bolt echoed through the still silent jungle and likely did more than the actual shot itself...which went high over the feline’s back. But it did enough to get the thing’s attention. Its head spun around to glare at Cira with two angry, deep green eyes, and it even took a short moment to bear sharp fangs before pouncing at her.

She was ready, though, and dove to the side and out of the way. Landing in a roll, Cira’s arm thrashed out to wildly in the general direction of the creature and she attempted to fire off another blaster shot at it. The shot, unsurprisingly, missed. Instead of finding its mark, it found a tree and sent splinters of wood showering a small area around it. The feline ducked its head away from this before charging forward at her again, barring its fangs as it did.

Out of the corner of her vision, she caught sight of more movement, and so wasn’t at all shocked to hear the sound of another blaster shot. Cowan had managed to sit up slightly(while ignoring the searing pain of the slashes across his chest) and fire off a shot...a fairly well aimed one, too. The red bolt struck the feline creature in its side, throwing it off its path for Cira and to the ground with a snarl.

But it wasn’t down yet. It made a defiant sound as it climbed up to its feet again, making a sudden pounce at Cira, again. Though she hadn’t gotten to her feet yet, she managed to line up a shot and pull the trigger in a second. The red blaster bolt slammed hard into the creature’s head, burning and ruining the fur and skin. The only sound to be heard was a stifled yelp of pain, followed by a very heavy thud as the thing hit the ground.

The unhealthy silence returned.

It was broken only a few seconds later, though, by a loud groan from Cowan, followed by another thud. Cira looked that direction, noting that he had not, in fact, died. Instead, he’d simply lain back down on the ground, though he didn’t look to be in the greatest of shape.

“You alright?” she eventually asked after holstering her blaster pistol and idly nudging the downed feline with her boot.

There was a groan from Cowan, and he raised an arm to wave it idly in the air. It was a sign she interpreted as a yes. Despite that, though, she figured it would be a good idea to confirm this. Stepping around one of the larger trees, she looked down at the other younger human. The tunic he wore had four long slices down his chest. They looked to have gotten through to the skin, as there was a faint red tint of blood, but it definitely wasn’t deep.

Leaning over to look him in the eye and get his attention, Cira asked, “Planning to get up?”

“No...” he mumbled, looking away and down the hill again, “Comfortable here.”

“Fine then,” Cira shrugged and started down the hill very slowly, “I’ll just leave you here until some friends of that thing track down the smell.”

“No, wait!” Cowan’s reflexes were fast, but she was now out of reach of his arm so he couldn’t grab even her ankle. This meant he resorted to the next series of limbs, and kicked at her in an attempt to get her to stop. This did not, however, go as planned. His foot caught her in the back of the knee, and the next thing Cira knew, she was face first into one of the larger trees and her entire body hurt.

Now it was her turn to groan. Her muffled, and now annoyed, voice sounded without her head moving, “Cowan. Get up. Find the crystal. Now.”

It was a tone he couldn’t argue with. And so, he did get up as quickly as he could, but resisted the temptation to try and make things better by helping her off of the tree. Cowan quickly figured out that this would likely have been a bad idea. She’d probably overreact, anyway. Instead, he decided to wait until she was back, and then very carefully went back to leading the way...at least he could feel the Force pulling him to a location that wasn’t that far off.

Chapter 9: Another Jedi Master...Another Lecture

“You didn’t have to kill him,” Master Kenth Hamner said in his usual straight-to-the-point tone. He was a tall man, with a broad shouldered stature and sharp-lined features. He was also one of Master Skywalker’s original students, and now back at the Academy and assisting Master Skywalker in training new students. Currently, he was also the only one that Esah and Gant could find.

Though the Mon Calamari seemed slightly hurt by this accusation, Gant was unfazed, “He meant to kill us.”

The Jedi Master nodded slowly at that, but turned to face Gant’s eyeless gaze carefully. The two men were about the same height, but it was obvious who the Master was from the way Hamner spoke, “You didn’t have to kill him.”

Knowing that Gant was going to be stubborn, Esah stepped up and said softly, “We are sorry, Master...but there was not time to think. We...I...I have never been in such a situation before.”

Again, Master Hamner nodded, but his gaze seemed to soften slightly, “You did well to come out unscathed.”

Though he was talking to Esah, he was undoubtedly referring to the two lightsaber burn marks across Gant’s tunic that had somehow not reached the skin below. But nothing else was said on that topic, as Master Hamner turned to the small, cylindrical object that the two apprentices had also handed to him. The lightsaber that they had taken from the attacker was generic and basic. No style or personal touches at all. Even in his limited experience with fighting Dark Siders, Master Hamner knew that this didn’t fit. Everyone put their personal touch into their lightsabers. Which meant...

“Master,” Esah broke the train of thought in a very careful way, and when Master Hamner’s face cleared of the look of concentration, she went on, “I’ve...we’ve heard rumors about a...a Shadow Academy. What if this person came from there?”

“I believe he did,” the Jedi Master said quietly, turning back to look at the body lain out over an old console in what was once a control room that the Rebel Alliance had used decades earlier. Now it was just a room that got used when it was the most convenient, “And if that’s true, he got here somehow.”

Gant was the one to first pick up on where that was going to. Though he had no eyes to show it, Master Hamner and Esah both picked up the wave of thought that resonated from the Miraluka through the Force. Noticing he was being waited on, Gant asked, “You want us to search for a ship?”

“Or signs of a ship,” Master Hamner said with a nod. He then showed his more tactical minded outlook on things, “It could easily have been a drop off. But we will not know unless we check.”

There was a hesitation in the air. At first, it felt like a general feeling that was simply there...which wouldn’t be all that surprising, considering what had just happened to the two young apprentices. But it soon became apparent that this feeling resonated from the blue-skinned Mon Calamari. And, slowly, both the others turned to look to her calmly. When she realized this, she shrunk down a little(and would have blushed if Mon Calamari could), and said quietly, “W-w-what if there are others...?”

“Then remember that your blasters have stun settings,” the Jedi Master said with the slightly of grins on his face. He quickly added, “Try to avoid fighting. You both know the basics very well, otherwise Master Skywalker would not have put you on the path to constructing your lightsabers...” he paused, glanced to Gant, then tried again, “Lightsaber. You are now going to have to learn what all of those lessons you learned really mean.”

Esah opened her mouth to say something else, but decided it would just be repeating herself and Master Hamner just wasn’t the kind of person that was easy to ask for sympathy from. The aura of strength he gave off just seemed to negate any of that. So she decided to say nothing, staying silent and simply nodding.

The Jedi Master then turned away and stepped over to another console that had probably not been activated since the Battle of Yavin all those years ago. He picked up a few things, then returned to the two apprentices, handing them both the objects, “A comlink, survival kit, and a tracking beacon.”

If Gant had any eyebrows under the thick cloth he wore over where his eyes should have been, they would have raised at that, “A survival kit?”

“Always be prepared,” Master Hamner intoned, a phrase they’d heard from him far too often, “If there are others out there, it is best to take every precaution.”

Both of the apprentices nodded. He was right, of course. And, at this point, neither of them were going to turn down carrying an extra medkit with them...the weight was worth it. As was the tracking beacon. They divided the things amongst each other, fitting them to their belts or placing things in pockets, and in a matter of minutes were ready to leave again.

Master Hamner led them to the turbolift and went down to the hangar with them. He even quietly followed them out and to the forest’s edge, which got a few looks from some of the other students. Just as the two started off into the forest to the south again, the Jedi Master spoke up, “Be careful, be alert, and trust the Force.”

They stopped and nodded to him, saying at the same time but in completely different voices, “Yes, Master.”

He let them get a few more steps into the trees before adding, “And remember, you are still supposed to find crystals. Master Skywalker won’t like it if I let you get away with not doing that.”

Sorry about lack of update...I've kind of slacked off in both SHs thanks to classes. Had two papers due and an exam tomorrow, so I've been swamped with all of that. However, I shall post the update that was meant for today(tuesday), later tomorrow(errr...wednesday, damn its already wednesday). :)

Remove ads