• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stargate, anyone?

Jude

First Post
Though I recently heard that AEG will have to drop Stargate from its product line due to Sony's not re-signing, I thought I'd bring up Stargate anyway.

Anyone here besides me play it at all? I thought it was great when it came out -- originally, when my friend started running a game, he ran Stargate on the Spycraft system with some homebrewed rules for archaeologists/scientists and the like. We moved over to the Stargate D20 when it was released. I'm just curious to see if anyone else played it and if they did, what they thought.

~ Jude (alias Dr. AJ McConaway, SG-21)

swrushing

First Post
Jude said:
I'm just curious to see if anyone else played it and if they did, what they thought.

My game is in its final months, going to wrap it up round november making it a two year run. Its nicknamed Stargate 911 because three of the four players went for different flavor of medical guys and so the theme changed a bit as they were assembled as a medical response team instead of standard meet-n-greet.

AEG system was fairly good, actually i think their d20 rules were above average and their source material was fantastic, i just felt they were too military-centric for the feel of the show i was trying to grab. As a result, i used their class stuff and chargen but house ruled a lot of the other stuff including damage/wounds, autofire, and dropped the fluid init for the most part.

My next game is going to be traveller with a good sense of firefly added in. After two years of being part of the good guys i think my gang would love a little less "there is a boss and his name is hammond/weir/jack" and a little more "the chain of command is a chain i use to beat you with until you do what I say." A little less "save the world" and a little more "you grab his wallet while i grab his gauss rifle".

I will be very interested to see what Eden Studious does with Stargate Atlantis if the persistent rumors and non-denials turn out to be true. A cinematic unisystem approach seems very interesting to me and from what i know of their licensed products they do get the feel of the shows dead spot on. (Based off Angel, Buffy and Army of Darkness rpgs.)

Remove ads