D&D 5E Help with new DM

HammerMan

Legend
okay so I made up my soldiers... The big named troops will look more like a paladin but for now this will do. I assume at the training ground Hextor has about 500 common soldier, 100 élite soldiers, and 15 advanced soldiers... the vet soldiers are already at the town/front or retired... I also figure I will make 3-5 named NPCs with personality and make them more specialized. amassed nearer to the boarder I assume they have 3x or more this in force.

Common Soldiers
Medium humanoid (human), neutral evil
Armor Class 16 (breastplate)
Hit Points 14 (2d8+2)
Speed 30 ft.

13 STR (+1) 15 DEX (+2) 13 CON (+1)
11 INT (+0) 12 WIS (+1) 13 CHA (+1)
Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Common
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Blessing of the gods- All of them have a mark of their gods symbol and have a special ability,
Actions
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5(1d8 + 1) Bludgeoning damage. two handed
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit:4 (1d6 + 1) Bludgeoning damage.
Staff Blast. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 5(1d10) radiant damage.

Elite Soldiers
Armor Class 17 (breastplate +1)
Hit Points 27 (3d10+6)
Speed 30 ft.

15 STR (+2) 15 DEX (+2) 15 CON (+2)
11 INT (+0) 12 WIS (+1) 15 CHA (+2)
Skills Perception +3
Languages Common
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Blessing of the gods- All of them have a mark of their gods symbol and have a special ability,
Actions
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6(1d8 + 2) Bludgeoning damage. two handed and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 12 or is knocked prone
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5(1d6 + 2) Bludgeoning damage. and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 12 or is knocked prone
Staff Blast. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 7(1d10+2) radiant damage.

Lay on hands- as an action the elite soldier can use a pool of 15hp that they can touch and heal themselves or others, the 15hp pool refresh every morning at dawn.

Advanced Soldiers
Hit Points 80 (9d10+27)
Speed 30 ft.

15 STR (+2) 16 DEX (+3) 16 CON (+3)
11 INT (+0) 12 WIS (+1) 16 CHA (+3)
Skills Perception +4
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages Common
Challenge 5 (200 XP)
Brave. The Elite Soldier has advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Actions
Advanced Soldiers make 2 melee attacks or 1 ranged
+1Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8(1d8 + 4) Bludgeoning damage. two handed and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 15 or is knocked prone
+1Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7(1d6 + 4) Bludgeoning damage. and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 15 or is knocked prone
+1Staff Blast. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 13(2d10+3) radiant damage.

Smite: 1/ short rest on a hit the advanced soldier can add 1d10+2 force damage to the damage
Lay on hands- as an action the advanced soldier can use a pool of 45hp that they can touch and heal themselves or others, the 45hp pool refresh every morning at dawn.

Veteran Soldiers
Hit Points 80 (9d10+27)
Speed 30 ft.

11 INT (+0) 14 WIS (+1) 16 CHA (+3)
Skills Perception +4
Languages Common
Challenge 6 (200 XP)
Aura of the Swarm- all allies within 30ft gain the pact tactics ability, and have advantage on attack rolls if another alley is adjacent to the target.
Brave. The Veteran Soldier has advantage on saving throws against being frightened.

Actions
+1Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8(1d8 + 4) Bludgeoning damage. two handed and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 15 or is knocked prone
+1Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7(1d6 + 4) Bludgeoning damage. and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 15 or is knocked prone
+1Staff Blast. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 13(2d10+3) radiant damage.

Leadership (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). For 1 minute, the knight can utter a special command or warning whenever a nonhostile creature that it can see within 30 feet of it makes an attack roll or a saving throw. The creature can add a d4 to its roll provided it can hear and understand the knight. A creature can benefit from only one Leadership die at a time. This effect ends if the knight is incapacitated.

Master dice: the Vet soldier has a pool of 3d8 that refresh on a long or short rest, they can be added to damage, reduce damage to themselves or adjacent allies, or to activate the PHB battle master maneuvers of Ambush, Commander strike, Lunging attack, Sweeping Attack
Smite: 2/ short rest on a hit the advanced soldier can add 1d10+2 force damage to the damage
Lay on hands- as an action the advanced soldier can use a pool of 45hp that they can touch and heal themselves or others, the 45hp pool refresh every morning at dawn.

Blessing of the gods, I have 3 so far, Hextor, Kord and Baccob

Baccob: you can read all languages (as per eyes of rune keeper)
Hextor: once per short rest you can cast the bane spell, and once per day you can cast command

Kord: you have advantage on all str saves and skills that key of str, and multiply your carry capacity by 1.5
Your CR seems off. But I don’t use CR much so don’t worry too much.

I like the staff blast but I think it’s too on the nose I think you should give them the sacred flame cantrip instead.

This map is really small. I like the idea behind it though and if you didn’t tell us what real world places you used I would not have guessed.
Lord controls about 500sq miles New York City is a huge city but it is 322sq miles.
I don't know where you live by walking from 1 side of NY to another sure feels like a multi day trip.
Jokeing aside what would you use as a scale?
Now road island is 1,550sq miles so maybe that is what you are going for hextor and baccob are closer to that.

now with sacred flame

Common Soldiers
Armor Class 16 (breastplate)
Hit Points 14 (2d8+2)
Speed 30 ft.

13 STR (+1) 15 DEX (+2) 13 CON (+1)
11 INT (+0) 12 WIS (+1) 13 CHA (+1)
Skills Perception +3
Languages Common
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Actions
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5(1d8 + 1) Bludgeoning damage. two handed
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit:4 (1d6 + 1) Bludgeoning damage.
Sacred Flame a creature within 60ft ,makes a dex save DC 11 or takes 4(1d8) radiant damage

Elite Soldiers
Hit Points 27 (3d10+6)
Speed 30 ft.

15 STR (+2) 15 DEX (+2) 15 CON (+2)
11 INT (+0) 12 WIS (+1) 15 CHA (+2)
Skills Perception +3
Languages Common
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Actions
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6(1d8 + 2) Bludgeoning damage. two handed and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 12 or is knocked prone
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5(1d6 + 2) Bludgeoning damage. and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 12 or is knocked prone
Sacred Flame a creature within 60ft ,makes a dex save DC 12 or takes 4(1d8) radiant damage

Lay on hands- as an action the elite soldier can use a pool of 15hp that they can touch and heal themselves or others, the 15hp pool refresh every morning at dawn.

Advanced Soldiers
Hit Points 80 (9d10+27)
Speed 30 ft.

11 INT (+0) 12 WIS (+1) 16 CHA (+3)
Skills Perception +4
Languages Common
Challenge 5 (200 XP)
Brave. The Elite Soldier has advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Actions
Sacred Flame a creature within 60ft ,makes a dex save DC 14 or takes 8(2d8) radiant damage

Smite: 1/ short rest on a hit the advanced soldier can add 1d10+2 force damage to the damage

Veteran Soldiers
Hit Points 80 (9d10+27)
Speed 30 ft.

11 INT (+0) 14 WIS (+1) 16 CHA (+3)
Skills Perception +4
Languages Common
Challenge 6 (200 XP)
Aura of the Swarm- all allies within 30ft gain the pact tactics ability, and have advantage on attack rolls if another alley is adjacent to the target.
Brave. The Veteran Soldier has advantage on saving throws against being frightened.

Actions
Sacred Flame a creature within 60ft ,makes a dex save DC 14 or takes 8(2d8) radiant damage

Leadership (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). For 1 minute, the knight can utter a special command or warning whenever a nonhostile creature that it can see within 30 feet of it makes an attack roll or a saving throw. The creature can add a d4 to its roll provided it can hear and understand the knight. A creature can benefit from only one Leadership die at a time. This effect ends if the knight is incapacitated.

Master dice: the Vet soldier has a pool of 3d8 that refresh on a long or short rest, they can be added to damage, reduce damage to themselves or adjacent allies, or to activate the PHB battle master maneuvers of Ambush, Commander strike, Lunging attack, Sweeping Attack
Smite: 2/ short rest on a hit the advanced soldier can add 1d10+2 force damage to the damage

Blessing of the gods, I have 3 so far, Hextor, Kord and Baccob

Baccob: you can read all languages (as per eyes of rune keeper)
Hextor: once per short rest you can cast the bane spell, and once per day you can cast command
Kord: you have advantage on all str saves and skills that key of str, and multiply your carry capacity by 1.5

One week from tomorrow is session 0 and I have some more info

Human Paladin of Hextor (already questioning)
Half Elf Bard
Dwarf Wizard
Human Druid
2 unknowns, but one of them asked about being an artificer, and the other wont settle on anything until she rolls for stats at session 0

Some things I have been asked/told:

They want to grow powerful enough to effect real change in the world.
the Dwarf Wizard player asked if he could be part of an underground resistance already, and I said maybe
One of the unknowns asked if they could use artificer they want to try out an ironman armor, I said to bring the idea to session 0
The OTHER unknown though asked the most pointed question I had not thought of: "You brought up powerful artifacts, are these set peices we will see and not touch or will we all get gonzo over powered with multi artifacts in play?"

THat last one hit me, I may have to start it's own thread on that too... but for now I also figured out some more stuff

I am going to introduce through our PC pally 2 NPC villains that are high level and will only be in town the night and then one is heading to the front line the other is more like a drill Sargent back at the training camp. I figured set them up, show some personality "on leave" not being so bad... even though they will most likely end up as big bads.

Oofta

Legend
One week from tomorrow is session 0 and I have some more info

Human Paladin of Hextor (already questioning)
Half Elf Bard
Dwarf Wizard
Human Druid
2 unknowns, but one of them asked about being an artificer, and the other wont settle on anything until she rolls for stats at session 0

Some things I have been asked/told:

They want to grow powerful enough to effect real change in the world.
That's kind of a given in campaigns I run.
the Dwarf Wizard player asked if he could be part of an underground resistance already, and I said maybe
This might need some buy-in from the other players in order for goals and motivations to align.
One of the unknowns asked if they could use artificer they want to try out an ironman armor, I said to bring the idea to session 0
Sounds like a cool long term goal, it can be difficult to balance out something like this if it's homebrew. On the other hand, if you can just make it fluff then I've had it work before - a "technomancer" with a gatling gun that he used to cast spells. Followed all the normal rules and restrictions, just required a gun.
The OTHER unknown though asked the most pointed question I had not thought of: "You brought up powerful artifacts, are these set peices we will see and not touch or will we all get gonzo over powered with multi artifacts in play?"
If they get artifacts, I'd consider making them potentially dangerous. Something you use when you absolutely have to but with major potential drawbacks with increasing risk the more it's used. Lots of ways to go with this, it's just not my preference to have items be more defining that PC abilities. Maybe introduce a situation where they have access to an artifact but can't keep it? Make it a group challenge of skills to use the artifact to it's potential? Lots of ideas.
THat last one hit me, I may have to start it's own thread on that too... but for now I also figured out some more stuff

I am going to introduce through our PC pally 2 NPC villains that are high level and will only be in town the night and then one is heading to the front line the other is more like a drill Sargent back at the training camp. I figured set them up, show some personality "on leave" not being so bad... even though they will most likely end up as big bads.

That's kind of a given in campaigns I run.
I have played in, and I think the DM that I am currently under has run, games where no matter how big you get the rest of the world is too big for you. I know I once had a 11th level character get harassed by a town guard just to find out they where a legendary CR 15 stat block.

I don't plan on scaleing up threats, some will start above them, and some will just get passed over becoming speed bumps at best.
This might need some buy-in from the other players in order for goals and motivations to align.
yeah I wanted the option for them to join such a group in game, but didn't want to force it, if he already is that will make that choice kind of for the group... so We all need to agree to it.
Sounds like a cool long term goal, it can be difficult to balance out something like this if it's homebrew. On the other hand, if you can just make it fluff then I've had it work before - a "technomancer" with a gatling gun that he used to cast spells. Followed all the normal rules and restrictions, just required a gun.
oh they are just saying the armor artificer, nothing special, no house rules.
If they get artifacts, I'd consider making them potentially dangerous. Something you use when you absolutely have to but with major potential drawbacks with increasing risk the more it's used. Lots of ways to go with this, it's just not my preference to have items be more defining that PC abilities. Maybe introduce a situation where they have access to an artifact but can't keep it? Make it a group challenge of skills to use the artifact to it's potential? Lots of ideas.
Yeah, I had the idea for an item based on Dr Fate, a helmet that you CAN use to get all powerful spells... but might end up taking you over and never giving you back. In the Young Justice cartoon that happened and someone lost years to just being the god in full control

Theory of Games

Disaffected Game Warrior
First time poster short term lurker.

I don't think of myself as new to D&D but I am sure most of you will. I have twice tried to DM once a Adventure League adventure and once a homebrew and both went different types of bad.
I have been playing on and off for a little over 10 years and most of that time was table top D&D. I do have a few other systems I tried and I count Pathfinder 1 as D&D for that.

So one of my friends who calls himself a forever DM has asked someone to take over Thursday night game after this campaign ends so he can play. None of the experienced DMs are interested. HOWEVER, I have a concept and I want to try again. However the 2 times I ran it was like a single adventure over a couple of nights never a campaign.

I have ideas I have stolen from a life time of comics, tv shows, movies, and novel reading. I however have no map, no art, no ability to draw either unless I am making a way worst order of the stick. The game itself is right now online to account for being far away and having family things. So I do have some leeway with stuff.

I need to make a pitch, and I gave it to one friend and she said it sounded great, however it was mostly me stream of through talking and going a little manic. Now I need to be more organized. I tried to ask on redit and got some okay suggestions but also a bunch of pushback, I am hopeing that someone here or some of you may be more help. I have been reading up here for some time.

No one in the group is interested in playtesting the new 1D&D, I have looked at it and like some of it even though I have not played it. So we can assume we are using the 2014 PHB and I as DM get to pick if I add any other books. The DMs I have been under have allowed most WotC stuff and some 3pp stuff and even made up their own but that feels a bit overwhelming right now.

I have only really played 5e and PF 1e for D&D but I also played some superhero RPG from Palladium that I can't remember the name of and the V20 M20 W20 and WW20 games enough to have a grasp of those rules and settings, and I have tried savageworld and Shadow run and rifts but only with very limited success. I read some stuff on older editions of D&D but never played them, so that is my gaming experience.

SO here is my crazy pitch… and this is one fantasy world not spelljammer: I hope you have heard of Stargate. If not here is the elevator rant, a group of aliens that pretend to be gods of different pantheons create soldiers and a really dysfunctional feudal emprire… I assume everyone knows what starwars is, if not the important part is the sith, a dark psychic cult of psi warriors that wants to rule the universe. Less likely to have seen/heard is Thunder cats, a fantasy setting that is really post apocalypse super high tech with a series magic/tech stones that are totally not infinity stones that grant massive power when put in weapons. Really really less likely to know is Necroscope, important part like SW is the villains a empire of flesh crafting alien mushroom creatures that act like vampires in every way that can create thralls of power. Now some comics stuff Dr fate is a person possessed with a god of order as a way to act as an avatar. The 'host' is powerful as is but with the helm they are pretty close to the god. Gem world is kind of like the anti dr fate, it is a world made by gods of chaos to have fey like magic with gem based magic. Ghost riders are angels and demons or maybe both bound together with human hosts to do things on the prime plane. Spawn is an entire army of lesser spawns that are beings that made by making infernal deals for there souls but are powered by necromantic symbiot armors…

Okay so there are 3 or more pantheons of gods, and they are at war. However they can not enter each other's domains, and they FEAR entering the natural ground of prime material or fey/shadow/elemental planes. So they make Avatars that do. This is where the stargate stuff comes in… instead of aliens pretending to be gods they are real gods, however like the ghoal system lords these guys are at war with each other for influence but with avatars on PM and the Jafa are paladins. They rule about 2/3 of the world. There are a handful of freehold that are 'protected settlements' that a second pantheon says they will protect but it is really a bluff cause that pantheon is at war with a demon host (this is like the asgaurd) There is then a third pantheon of neutral fey gods (like knox) that just want to be spiritual advisors and avoid the war… but they may be more powerful than the others. The Demon host that the second pantheon is at war with has two ways to corrupt people on the prime (see warlocks) that allow them to create spawn like creatures to fight that war. Once upon a time there was a greater set of gods, a pantheon now long since gone (ancients and Ori) that had control of everything… the magic items they made are sought by everyone cause they are the most powerful artifacts. However some of them have the essence of the god in them (helm of nabu like). They had two types lords of order and lords of chaos. The lords of order stayed on prime realm and the lords of chaos went to the fey wild where they made a gem world. However there is also ANOTHER realm… the shadowfel, and it is ruled by mushroom like parasites that are basically flesh crafting vampires, and they have there own empire there in the shadows.

I have this idea of a group of adventurers that grew up under the thumb of the 1st evil pantheon… but remember each lord, each god has there own army and area so the PCs might have been at war with each other at some point… that have heard stories of 'protected freeholds' but have not been to one yet, and will stumble on an ancient temple to long forgotten lords of order. I also want a secret conspiracy to overthrow the gods, but it to be an EVIL sith like psychic consepracy but I don't know how to work that in.

As you can tell this is all over the place. I may be overdoing things for a first time. I may need to think through more. I need to figure out what I am allowing and I need to actually craft the world and the adventure and then I can pitch it maybe better. Any help or insight from other DMs would be appreciate (I know you are here Tommy, so tell people if you post that you might be a player)

my first idea is I like the Strixhaven rules where you make friends with NPCs to get bonuses, and you can study lore books to get bonuses, but not in a school setting
my second idea is I like the new setting Dragon Lance feats that allow for fighting style type things
my third idea is I like the Kender but I want a kender that is less chaotic and easier on party cohesion

my first fear is I have no idea how druid will work with all this
my second fear is I don't have 'normal' low level threats here like Orcs and Kobolds
my third fear is half the name of the game is dragons, and we often have dragon slaying as at least an option, but my ideas don't use dragons
my fourth fear is that I don't know what to allow people to play

MY BIGGEST FEAR, I may not be cut out for this.
Guess what? There are little kids like ages 6-10 running D&D. You're cut out for this, IF you know you're cut out for this.
I had co-workers cry about their money then I reminded them that a 10-year-old kid was making millions on YouTube. I was like S.T.F.U. You need to get a good level of STFU from yourself TO yourself. Just RUN GAMES. It isn't hard. I started running games when I was 13 because nobody else wanted to so I put down my cherished character sheet and opened the module and read the boxed text. Stupid right? Hell no! The players LOVED IT. We ran the modules until everyone was dead. TPK after TPK but we had fun. Just RUN THE %$#@ GAME! This hobby is only hard for .......... people that make it hard. Stupid less then wise people will tell you being a GM is some kind of esoteric magic. It ISN'T. Running games is just about describing a scene and asking the players 'NOW WHAT?' I mean REALLY. Just do that. And when they come at you about Player Agency and Railroads, kill their characters. Then design your new RPG!

aco175

Legend
Artifacts are just powerful magic items with the potential to change the campaign. Deck of Many Things- there is an another thread right now on it. Does change campaigns, but it goes away after using. Other items are big like hand/eye of Vecna and Sword of Kas. Fine, but they are less useful than a Staff of Magi (to some). What the player thinks and what you think is an artifact is not always on the same line.

I played in a game where we were 1st level and given powerful items, sort of like the D&D cartoon. Certainly made us more powerful, but only until we advanced a few/several levels, then they were not so powerful anymore.

There are tricks to limit artifacts to adjust the power level. The Rod of Seven Parts is cool when you have one part and can cast a few healing spells of a fireball, but gains power when you have added more pieces together. The Deck of Many Things is useless unless you have all the cards. Some items gain power and 'unlock' powers as one uses goes up in levels. Kind of it finding you worthy after a while to use it.

Items do not need to be a game changing lurch. They can be incorporated with minor disruption. No more than giving 1st level PCs +1 weapons. It just makes fights a bit easier and takes away problems with monsters that need magic to hit them. Adjust by adding one more monster to fights maybe or just require some monsters to need +2 weapons instead of +1.

Remove ads