D&D 5E Help with new DM

Oofta

Legend
I told two different DMs over the last few years they should write a novel. I have learned not all DMs take that as a compliment.
A lot of DMs, myself included, have always had at least the occasional flicker of desire to write a fantasy novel. I enjoy writing short stories now and then about events that happen off screen or about my PCs when I get to play that I post to our forum. Imagining how the world would work is fun, imagining how the different NPCs and organizations would interact is interesting. Then you start thinking about all those stupid TV shows and movies and how your creation makes so much more sense.

So of course a part of me wants to write the next great fantasy novel.

Oofta

Legend
Not quite a ZPM or drone, but probably the next best thing
lhvTs.jpg

Okay quick update, but first HUGE THANK YOU, you peeps are the best.

So, I pitched last night and it started bad. I was babbling and more then half the group wasn't sure if I could run a game, but with a bit of help and me remembering the advise here I was able to get through my idea. And they decided it was a good idea.

So in 3 weeks we are doing session 0, and then a few weeks later will start.

I already have 2 of the players giving me an idea of what they want to do for session 0.

the one I told about this before has decided she is going to start as a paladin but wants to in game multi into warlock and switch from Hextor but keep the idea. She wasn't sure what pact he would want but she is thinking of a hexblade. That can be powerful but it sounds cool, I have seen full cha casters multi with paly and they are beasts.

the forever DM came right out of the gate saying he wanted to try a Bard. He said he will come up with a couple ideas though since he has not gotten to play a 5e non 1shot yet.

the others joked about a few things but no one really said much. I just know that the other woman in the group said she would like to see if we can talk about trying a safety tool she saw online dealing with cards, I guess she had asked the forever DM before and he turned her down she is going to email me a link to something.

Last edited:

Okay so to keep the overall DM advise here I am posting the map here. I have the world then the small localish one I still need to label cities and stuff but overall I have it. The Purple is not controlled by the evil empire at all, and the other land masses are things to work on later but are the land of the other gods
ghoul lands.jpg

ghoul lands 4.jpg

and here is my updated notes: with some updates from suggestions at game and since from the players

From time long ago, from the far reaches of the multiverse comes legends, legends that say when the Old Gods died, the New Gods were born…
In the time before your grandfathers, a mythic age even for the eldest elven sage, legend speak of the towns and cities being ruled by men elves dwarves and more. People having the freedom to choose their own path in life. Since the arrival of the Avatar-Kings, the people have suffered and been reduced to little more than slaves, forced to build the massive temples for the New Gods and fight in their endless wars. Stories also tell of hidden cashes of Old God magic, when order was a thing.

Alamouda is a town controlled by the great and powerful God Hextor. His avatar is far from here in Hexhold, and legends say he has grown 6 arms and can wield 6 weapons.
Hextor is not REALLY at war right now, or at least this is as close as he gets. His Paladins are training and amassing though because a few leagues east of Alamouda is the walled city of Testaur.
Testaur is on the border with both the great and powerful god Kord and his domain, and unclaimed 'free' lands. Kord is ALSO amassing troops waiting for the day that the war will heat up once more.

Alamouda has a mine that has adamantine and diamonds within it, almost 2 hours south where there is a small camp where miners stay when working. It also has both orchards and farms to the north less than half an hour. Both of those give 70% of what they produce to the Lord Hextor. the 30% they have left they sell to people in and around the town at a HUGE mark up.
to the west almost a half days ride is a mountain that has been cut in half both vertical and horizontally. on top of the one of the mesa made from the mountain is a training facility for Paladins and Knights of Hextor on top the other is the school for the clerics of Hextor. The Bridge that connects them is made of a strange gold metal.
It is not unheard of for clerics and paladins to get long weekends and even whole 2 weeks off of training and come into Alamouda to blow off steam.

Alamouda has two 'major' casters in town other than the clerics that rule it as a theocracy. A Tiefling 'wizard' named Valen that lives in a crooked grey tower on the outskirts of town and sells alchemical mixtures. and the retired solder of Baccob elven wizard Alana Brightblade who runs the local library with a few acolytes and apprentices.

Alamouda is run by 3 corrupt "high priests and priestesses" that are in charge of tax collecting and keeping the streets safe. They have hired a half orc name Tanner to keep the piece but he is the worst monster in town.

Active Major Deities:
Baccob Over Deity Knowledge and learning

Erythnul
Hate Envy Malice
Grumish Conquest survival
Hextor War discord Tyranny
Kord Strength brawling and courage
Nerull Death Darkness Murder
Olidammara Music wine revels rogues
Pelor Burning Hate
Wee Jas Magic death vanity

Active Minor Deities:
Celestian of the stars
Obad-hai of nature
Incabulous of plauges

Inactive Deities:
Cuthbert
Ehlonna
Pholtus
Zagyg

Dead Deities:
Heronous
Trithereon
Vecna*
Wastri

Vecna the secret god (Most think him dead, one of 5 gods killed in the last 800+ years, but he was the worst, he didn't come to earth… the others teamed up forced him to earth and ripped his mind body and soul apart, leaving only 3 small parts holding small bits of his divinity in reality it was all part of the plan... more or less. Vecna is an undead god now, a spirit that can possess any dead body and make it an avatar) (Duon-eel the Thrice Slain, Falazure the black, Luthic the Blood Moon Witch, and Kas the Vampire are all Exarchs)

okay so I made up my soldiers... The big named troops will look more like a paladin but for now this will do. I assume at the training ground Hextor has about 500 common soldier, 100 élite soldiers, and 15 advanced soldiers... the vet soldiers are already at the town/front or retired... I also figure I will make 3-5 named NPCs with personality and make them more specialized. amassed nearer to the boarder I assume they have 3x or more this in force.

Common Soldiers
Medium humanoid (human), neutral evil
Armor Class 16 (breastplate)
Hit Points 14 (2d8+2)
Speed 30 ft.

13 STR (+1) 15 DEX (+2) 13 CON (+1)
11 INT (+0) 12 WIS (+1) 13 CHA (+1)
Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Common
Challenge 1/4 (50 XP)
Blessing of the gods- All of them have a mark of their gods symbol and have a special ability,
Actions
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5(1d8 + 1) Bludgeoning damage. two handed
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit:4 (1d6 + 1) Bludgeoning damage.
Staff Blast. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 5(1d10) radiant damage.

Elite Soldiers
Armor Class 17 (breastplate +1)
Hit Points 27 (3d10+6)
Speed 30 ft.

15 STR (+2) 15 DEX (+2) 15 CON (+2)
11 INT (+0) 12 WIS (+1) 15 CHA (+2)
Skills Perception +3
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Common
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Blessing of the gods- All of them have a mark of their gods symbol and have a special ability,
Actions
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6(1d8 + 2) Bludgeoning damage. two handed and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 12 or is knocked prone
Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5(1d6 + 2) Bludgeoning damage. and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 12 or is knocked prone
Staff Blast. Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 7(1d10+2) radiant damage.

Lay on hands- as an action the elite soldier can use a pool of 15hp that they can touch and heal themselves or others, the 15hp pool refresh every morning at dawn.

Advanced Soldiers
Hit Points 80 (9d10+27)
Speed 30 ft.

15 STR (+2) 16 DEX (+3) 16 CON (+3)
11 INT (+0) 12 WIS (+1) 16 CHA (+3)
Skills Perception +4
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages Common
Challenge 5 (200 XP)
Brave. The Elite Soldier has advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Actions
Advanced Soldiers make 2 melee attacks or 1 ranged
+1Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8(1d8 + 4) Bludgeoning damage. two handed and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 15 or is knocked prone
+1Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7(1d6 + 4) Bludgeoning damage. and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 15 or is knocked prone
+1Staff Blast. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 13(2d10+3) radiant damage.

Smite: 1/ short rest on a hit the advanced soldier can add 1d10+2 force damage to the damage
Lay on hands- as an action the advanced soldier can use a pool of 45hp that they can touch and heal themselves or others, the 45hp pool refresh every morning at dawn.

Veteran Soldiers
Hit Points 80 (9d10+27)
Speed 30 ft.

15 STR (+2) 16 DEX (+3) 16 CON (+3)
11 INT (+0) 14 WIS (+1) 16 CHA (+3)
Skills Perception +4
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages Common
Challenge 6 (200 XP)
Aura of the Swarm- all allies within 30ft gain the pact tactics ability, and have advantage on attack rolls if another alley is adjacent to the target.
Brave. The Veteran Soldier has advantage on saving throws against being frightened.

Actions
Advanced Soldiers make 2 melee attacks or 1 ranged
+1Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8(1d8 + 4) Bludgeoning damage. two handed and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 15 or is knocked prone
+1Staff. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7(1d6 + 4) Bludgeoning damage. and 1/ turn a creature hit by this melee attack makes a dex save DC 15 or is knocked prone
+1Staff Blast. Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 13(2d10+3) radiant damage.

Leadership (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). For 1 minute, the knight can utter a special command or warning whenever a nonhostile creature that it can see within 30 feet of it makes an attack roll or a saving throw. The creature can add a d4 to its roll provided it can hear and understand the knight. A creature can benefit from only one Leadership die at a time. This effect ends if the knight is incapacitated.

Master dice: the Vet soldier has a pool of 3d8 that refresh on a long or short rest, they can be added to damage, reduce damage to themselves or adjacent allies, or to activate the PHB battle master maneuvers of Ambush, Commander strike, Lunging attack, Sweeping Attack
Smite: 2/ short rest on a hit the advanced soldier can add 1d10+2 force damage to the damage
Lay on hands- as an action the advanced soldier can use a pool of 45hp that they can touch and heal themselves or others, the 45hp pool refresh every morning at dawn.

Blessing of the gods, I have 3 so far, Hextor, Kord and Baccob

Baccob: you can read all languages (as per eyes of rune keeper)
Hextor: once per short rest you can cast the bane spell, and once per day you can cast command

Kord: you have advantage on all str saves and skills that key of str, and multiply your carry capacity by 1.5

Remove ads