• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

STARGATE UNIVERSE # 13:Faith/Season 1/2010

Wycen

Explorer
I really liked this episode.

On of the most striking things about the episode is the existence of that planet and star. First off, it points to the existence of a completely new alien race in the Stargate mythos that might surpass the Ancients in terms of raw power.

As mentioned in my previous post, not necessarily. If memory serves they found two planets from Stargate Atlantis that had towers on them. One was of Ancient design GateWorld - Stargate Atlantis Season Two: "The Tower"

That is why I wonder if they specifically left out reference to Atlantis in order to create more mystery, (yes I think) or are towers a good building trope for all alien races? We in the gaming world certainly love exploring towers ;)

Dire Bare

Legend
As mentioned in my previous post, not necessarily. If memory serves they found two planets from Stargate Atlantis that had towers on them. One was of Ancient design GateWorld - Stargate Atlantis Season Two: "The Tower"

That is why I wonder if they specifically left out reference to Atlantis in order to create more mystery, (yes I think) or are towers a good building trope for all alien races? We in the gaming world certainly love exploring towers ;)

I don't see any disconnect here. Towers are not exactly unique to any specific culture or race, they are a pretty basic architectural structure. The tower in this episode had no similarity to the towers in SG:A, and the Destiny crew had no rational reason to make any connections.

Dire Bare

Legend
I really liked this episode.

I did as well. I found it interesting to watch the interpersonal atmosphere between the various crew members evolve thru the episode. Everybody was walking on eggshells and seemed very tired . . . not physically tired but emotionally tired. By the end we have everybody having a great time in the mess hall. I especially like the dynamic between Young, Rush, and Wray as they debated the issues that came up.

And I found TJ's sadness, especially at the end of the episode, a bit heartbreaking.

fba827

Adventurer
Interesting episode.

I see Greer decided to hold the idiot ball this episode. Great idea, eating strange plants you found on an alien planet you know nothing about. Could be poisonous, acidic, actually a pod for alien creatures that'll eat their way out of your chest....

I could be remembering wrong, but I think he also did that in one of the early episodes - so it didn't seem out of character to me... stupid, yes, out of character, no. :)

Merkuri

Explorer
...Great idea, eating strange plants you found on an alien planet you know nothing about...
I could be remembering wrong, but I think he also did that in one of the early episodes...

I think Eli was the one who ate the foreign plants in that earlier episode, not Greer.

In any case, in that earlier episode (was that "Time"?) they mentioned something about not knowing what would be safe to eat or not without somebody actually eating some of it. This episode they mentioned some sorts of tests, but it could be that the best thing to do with foreign foods is really to have somebody eat something (just one type of something) and see what happens to him. Greer may have just skipped some of the more basic tests and gone straight to the "eat it and see if he dies" test.

Also remember that our tongues are pretty good judges of what's good for us and what isn't. If it was poisonous odds are it would have tasted bad and Greer would have spit it out. If it was actually caustic he probably wouldn't have been able to pick it up.

Fast Learner

First Post
Our tongues are good at that in our own biosphere due to many millennia of ancestors dying off whose tongue couldn't detect the problems. I'm not nearly as confident that we'd be able to do the same with alien plants.

(Nor that, of course, we'd be able to digest them or receive any food value from them, but that's a whole 'nother level of trouble.)

LightPhoenix

First Post
Also remember that our tongues are pretty good judges of what's good for us and what isn't. If it was poisonous odds are it would have tasted bad and Greer would have spit it out. If it was actually caustic he probably wouldn't have been able to pick it up.

Our tongues are good at that in our own biosphere due to many millennia of ancestors dying off whose tongue couldn't detect the problems. I'm not nearly as confident that we'd be able to do the same with alien plants.

(Nor that, of course, we'd be able to digest them or receive any food value from them, but that's a whole 'nother level of trouble.)

I wrote up a whole long spiel about this, and then deleted it because I figured no one would care that much. It involved anti-freeze fruit. :p

Taste is a good first indication, but not necessarily the best. Ethylene glycol is very poisonous; very little is required to kill a cat or dog, and not much more to kill a person. It's very sweet (sometimes decribed as sickly sweet) to the tongue.

The best thing that Greer, or anyone else, has going for them is size. It will take a lot more toxin to flat out kill a human than a cat or dog. Second would be a purging response, in which dehydration would be the major medical problem. Realistically, Greer might get sick but probably would not die.

While alien food may or may not be digestible, there is generally a limited amount of possibilities that make it more likely to be able to be.

First and foremost - any planet that is hospitable to humans will certainly use a carbon-backbone for life. Most alternative systems only make sense in a completely inhospitable environment. Silicon-backbone stuff would be immediately recognizable.

We won't assume that DNA, amino acids, and proteins necessarily exist. However, simple sugars (pentoses and hexoses) almost certainly would, as would basic fats and fatty acids, given a carbon backbone. Polymerization of simple sugars is highly likely as well, giving starch- and cellulose-like substances. All of those are highly digestible through relatively non-specific systems. Of course, you could argue (quite rightly) they wouldn't necessarily use oxygen for electron transfer. However, alternatives are all fairly easily detectable by humans senses. Nitrogen-variants would smell fishy or astringent, due to ammonia and various amines as by-products of dehydration reactions. Sulfur-variants would similarly smell foul due to sulfides. In contrast, oxygen dehydration produces water.

Really, it's not energy you need to worry about though. All the best toxins interfere directly with essential systems, especially the electron transport chain (makes energy). However, if we don't have Earth-like amino-acid proteins, the chance for interactions there is relatively minimal. Most of it would pass through relatively undigested. There is always a slight chance that something might get broken down into some analogue that clogs a system. The best thing to do in that case is to overwhelm the body with stuff that will get broken down; it's probably more specific than some random plant on a planet. Given you don't know what it is, you probably force-feed the patient anything you have from Earth to cover all the bases.

Fast Learner

First Post
Plant matter in the form of cellulose (and the sugars and such inside capsules of it and such) is particularly problematic, since we primarily depend upon intestinal bacteria to digest it, right? Doesn't seem likely that the bacteria we already have would have much success.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
There has been some reseach on the subject of food, it seems there is a built in identifier, this was seen where monkeys are seen to eat food that would taste good but poision them. The monkeys would eat the food then seach out charcoal and eat that too. The monkeys seem to naturally know charcoal would adsorption the poision.

They link this to why we have cravings for some foods, that we are self-curing something wrong with us. You take that a bit futher and you may know what to eat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads