• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

STARGATE UNIVERSE # 13:Faith/Season 1/2010

Fast Learner

First Post
It was certainly my take. When Eli said, "Welcome home," I thought she'd slap him. I would have been tempted in her shoes. Very much a "welcome home to hell" moment for her.

fba827

Adventurer
Do we know how many people are on the Destiney? With a few dying, jumping through unknown stargates and now leaving to live on the planet I wonder if they are concnerned they will run out of people.

I think Rush even mentioned a single line about that, something to the effect of "we can't leave that many people down there. we're already going to lose people over time due to attrition. this many people will make our numbers drop too quickly to survive.." (something like that)

there may have been a mention on the numbers during one of the original episodes, but, i don't recall specifically, nor do i think it's been mentioned again since then, if at all.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I think they wisely left numbers to our imagination.

Joe Mallozzi's blog confirms this (sorry, don't have direct link). They've purposefully not said an exact number.

Plant matter in the form of cellulose (and the sugars and such inside capsules of it and such) is particularly problematic, since we primarily depend upon intestinal bacteria to digest it, right? Doesn't seem likely that the bacteria we already have would have much success.

We do have intestinal bacteria that can to some extent digest cellulose, but it's at levels far to low to utilize it as a sole nutritional source. The primary use for cellulose in human diet is to aid in excretion, and the majority of it gets excreted. Free sugars are much more common in fruiting plants, as an energy source for seeds.

[EDIT] I read my previous post, and I see I mistakenly said cellulose would be digestible. Oops! Cellulose can be broken down externally under harsh conditions (high heat and acidic conditions). It's not very effective though.

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
I could be remembering wrong, but I think he also did that in one of the early episodes - so it didn't seem out of character to me... stupid, yes, out of character, no. :)

It was probably meant as a moment of comic relief:

"We don't even know if it's poisonous!"
"We will."

It's consistant with Greer's sense of humor. (Remember the "potato"?)

So yeah, it was funny, but boy was it stupid. But it was funny stupid as compared to the just plain stupid of Chloe getting captured by the aliens.

Felon

First Post
Man, they had to show someone shaving. I don't want to have to think about how people (especially the inordinate number of attractive women) stay so well-groomed when they really can't have much in the way of resources like make-up. They don't even have a change of clothes, right?

coyote6

Adventurer
Some of them had luggage, if I remember right. So they may have had some things from their base. I mean, they have razors (clearly), and I think they showed someone brushing their teeth, so they have toothbrushes -- clearly, they grabbed some stuff before they evacuated. They expected be headed back to Earth.

Eli may be the exception, given how he came to the party.

wolff96

First Post
Man, they had to show someone shaving. I don't want to have to think about how people (especially the inordinate number of attractive women) stay so well-groomed when they really can't have much in the way of resources like make-up. They don't even have a change of clothes, right?

A few change clothes occasionally -- and I really hope the military personnel have more than one set of fatigues. Other than that, maybe Destiny has a washing machine somewhere? :)

The thing about shaving to me... Yikes. He was using a blade. They've managed to fully grow plants and harvest them in the hydroponics lab! Major time has passed. How dull does that thing have to be by this point? This is definitely a good time to be using an electric razor, given that they can recharge their electronics at those little charge stands scattered around...

I'm now imagining a black-market in cosmetics and deoderant...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads