D&D 5E Starter set being shipped early in Canada

I really wonder how they got their numbers. ;)

Maybe they thought: Hey, level 8 (dragon?) should be 4000xp. And someone said: oh that is way too much. Lets make it 3900xp, so we can add an extra hobgoblin minion, so that the dragn becomes realy dangerous with that martial advantage^^

Since they clearly would not have said something like "well, we don't want the progression to be regular or people will notice" - they must have carefully playtested the chart by adding and removing hobgoblins from a fight until they all agreed that the ogre was as effective as 4.5 hobs. Otherwise it would be silly.

Agamon

Adventurer
I really wonder how they got their numbers. ;)

Maybe they thought: Hey, level 8 (dragon?) should be 4000xp. And someone said: oh that is way too much. Lets make it 3900xp, so we can add an extra hobgoblin minion, so that the dragn becomes realy dangerous with that martial advantage^^

It's the whole sticker shock/impulse buy idea.

"4000 xp? We can't take that monster...oh 3900? Yeah, let's do it!!" :)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
It would be a touch weird if the archer died and another human archer showed up who had the exact same personality and burning desire to kill the Green Dragon (for example).

Even if class/background/race/ability scores/etc are the same, can't you just change personality? No mechanics needed for that. Just role-playing.

grimshwiz

Explorer
IMG_20140702_121226.jpg

I hear I am kind of tough.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Am I misreading it or did I miss something? That dragon doesn't have a Strength save listed. I realize there are very few Strength related saves, but the omission seems odd.

Thaumaturge.

grimshwiz

Explorer
Am I misreading it or did I miss something? That dragon doesn't have a Strength save listed. I realize there are very few Strength related saves, but the omission seems odd.

Thaumaturge.

It does not have a STR save, but not all monsters have all saves listed. The evil mage for example only has INT and WIS.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads