• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter Set Character Sheet Revealed!

marleykat

First Post
We are.

Talking about something on the character sheet. Action Surge grants an extra action. Therefore it will work, as written in the final rules, with spells as well. This is probably a very broken thing, because spells are already quite powerful, and being able to machine gun them is very appealing.

But NOBODY except WotC actually knows the actual and final rules.

marleykat

First Post
We are.

Talking about something on the character sheet. Action Surge grants an extra action. Therefore it will work, as written in the final rules, with spells as well. This is probably a very broken thing, because spells are already quite powerful, and being able to machine gun them is very appealing.

But NOBODY except WotC actually knows the actual and final rules currently.

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
But NOBODY except WotC actually knows the actual and final rules.

If they wanted to add a restriction to Action Surge, they could have simply changed a word or two in the same description to say it doubles your number of attacks in an attack action or grants an extra attack action. No, it pretty much writes point blank that you get an extra action (+ an extra bonus one, as well), which has no further restrictions.

If they wanted to restrict it to attacks only, it would have been trivial to do it, right in the ability itself. I don't believe it's designed to be limited that way, and that's why I see it as the ultimate low hanging fruit for mages.

It's funny that a barbarian would want action surge equally as much as a fighter might want reckless attack, but action surge doesn't limit the barbarian whereas reckless attack, well you're better off having Protector style if you want to live. Giving your foes advantage against you is a good way to die quick. Better use action surge when you reckless attack, whichever class is your main, lol.

Yeah, I'm so not allowing multiclassing in my games where I DM. Except for my villains.

garnuk

First Post
Its entirely possible that there is a rule in the spells that you can't cast more than one per turn. There are no more swift spells, just bonus action spells.

pemerton

Legend
I'm sorry, please don't take this the wrong way, but this is so far away from how I feel that I don't understand.
Personally I agree with you - I think it is strange on one level. But on another level the basic game is not just basic/simple, it is also game that has some small but specific calls outs to those folk who played the basic game back in the day.
I completely understand [MENTION=63245]Evenglare[/MENTION]'s point - electrum pieces serve no functional role in the game other than as a type of baroque treasure, and have no more place on the character sheet than a checkbox for bales of contraband silk, or valuable clay figurines imported from the southern lands!

But I also think Raith5 is correct - the real reason for including them on the character sheet is that "call out" function to players with memories and expectations formed in the 1980s.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I stand corrected on #3. I kept thinking that Action Surge was per long rest. I'm sure I knew the correct version, but I haven't seen many fighters using it, so my mind must have reverted back a packet or two.

I don't see why not to allow short rests in a row, if nothing prevents it. Most short rest abilities work just fine if you keep doing them every hour.

I'm hoping that they have done something like limit you to three short rests per day. I can live with that.

Otherwise I have to houserule it to temporary hit points from the get-go, and I'd rather not do that. The only reason that I could tolerate that houserule, is because temporary hit points are actually more valuable in a fight, since they can raise your hit points above your max--so the character isn't overall less effective due to the switch.

hahahaha oh no, you're right! Because second wind is free HP, a fighter can just keep second winding every 5 mins or wahtever the short rest period is, and heal back to full after every fight. Shoulda been temp hps devs! hahahah oh dear indeed

Talath

Explorer
hahahaha oh no, you're right! Because second wind is free HP, a fighter can just keep second winding every 5 mins or wahtever the short rest period is, and heal back to full after every fight. Shoulda been temp hps devs! hahahah oh dear indeed

A short rest is one hour long. You can only do so many before the day is gone. Besides, the every character has hit dice to recover from as well, so why use second wind except when you need it?

Psikerlord#

Explorer
No, you aren't limited. A fighter's Second Wind doesn't use your hit dice. It's just 1d10+level healing that refreshes with a short rest. He could sit around all day and use that 16 times, and then get a good night's sleep afterwards.

You are limited in how many long rests you can take in a 24 hour period (one). I think a limit on short rests is reasonable, especially if it can alleviate contentious rules issues.

Those features work during a short rest, but only during 1 short rest per day.
If second wind is restricted only by the 1 hour short rest, it's broken, badly, for any adventure not on a strict time frame like a dungeon bash. Any overland style , or 3-4 hrs between encounter modules will be too easy. This is more reason for other classes to MC figher - second wind and action surge are very, very, very good. Almost certainly too good to pass up.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
If they wanted to add a restriction to Action Surge, they could have simply changed a word or two in the same description to say it doubles your number of attacks in an attack action or grants an extra attack action. No, it pretty much writes point blank that you get an extra action (+ an extra bonus one, as well), which has no further restrictions. If they wanted to restrict it to attacks only, it would have been trivial to do it, right in the ability itself. I don't believe it's designed to be limited that way, and that's why I see it as the ultimate low hanging fruit for mages. It's funny that a barbarian would want action surge equally as much as a fighter might want reckless attack, but action surge doesn't limit the barbarian whereas reckless attack, well you're better off having Protector style if you want to live. Giving your foes advantage against you is a good way to die quick. Better use action surge when you reckless attack, whichever class is your main, lol. Yeah, I'm so not allowing multiclassing in my games where I DM. Except for my villains.
Not allowing MCing doesnt fix the problem. Action surge will still be OP for fighters, along with second wind. They both need rewrites.

I'm a bit worried about the rate the damage scales at, however. Unless they have some tight magic item math behind it it doesn't look as if it scales fast enough. Two attacks at L5 at +2 to hit and +1 damage hardly compares with hit points multiplying massively -
Offense is supposed to scale much slower than hit points. It's a feature, not a bug. After all, your hit points need to last you through four encounters before you get a chance to replenish them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads