• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Starter set unboxing photos

erf_beto

First Post
I only wish they would give the first block of information (HP, AC, Speed) a little better formatinng, like they did with the ablility scores block.
I know this isn't the Monster Manual and all, but I miss an entry about what the monster looks like.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Maybe it means monsters with a CR of half the cleric's level?

I don't see Turn Undead at 5th blowing away CR2 undead which would be the equivalent of a 59hp Ogre.

The words most likely mean exactly what is printed. CR 1/2 or lower (most likely basic Skeletons and Zombies, and hopefully Level 1 sparkly PC vampires).

Hide armor was 12 + Dex modifier in the playtest, thus it probably is 12 - 1 (from Dex 8) = 11.

Quite. Also, if being big makes you easier to hit, then reflect this through a DEX penalty (which is what they seem to have done).

That Ogre needs to go armor shopping pronto. One suit of heavy armor should fix that DEX penalty problem.

Heck thats the first thing I think of to fix clumsiness-just add a little weight.

That Ogre needs to go armor shopping pronto. One suit of heavy armor should fix that DEX penalty problem.

Heck thats the first thing I think of to fix clumsiness-just add a little weight.

I wouldn't recommend it - from the video, it seems modifying ogres really cheeses off the designers for some reason.

Quite. Also, if being big makes you easier to hit, then reflect this through a DEX penalty (which is what they seem to have done).

I completely forgot that hide armor does allow a Dex penalty of up to -2. So hide armor is AC 12, the ogre's Dex mod is -1 = AC 11. No extra size penalties after all.

mips42

Adventurer
1) I know they have to make the boxes a decent size to be seen and have a "presence" on the shelf but at least PUT something in that space...

2) I hope this is retailing at $20 or less because there's really not a lot there to make the price much higher, especially since "Basic" D&D is planned to be a free PDF.

3) I didn't see a whole lot of "here's how you play" info pointed out.

IF this is sold for $20.00, I would say that, in my opinion, for $25.00, Paizo did a better job in giving value for the money with the Pathfinder Beginner Box.

Just my $0.000001

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
1) I know they have to make the boxes a decent size to be seen and have a "presence" on the shelf but at least PUT something in that space...

2) I hope this is retailing at $20 or less because there's really not a lot there to make the price much higher, especially since "Basic" D&D is planned to be a free PDF.

3) I didn't see a whole lot of "here's how you play" info pointed out.

IF this is sold for $20.00, I would say that, in my opinion, for $25.00, Paizo did a better job in giving value for the money with the Pathfinder Beginner Box.

Just my $0.000001

Paizo's was $35 though, not $25. And this is $20 retail, or $12-something at Amazon. And yes, there is a ton of "here's how you play" stuff in there.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter

Retail price is $20. That is a sturdy box, 6 dice, 32 page rulebook, 64 page adventure book and 6 character sheets (one blank).

The Paizo Beginner box is $35. That is a sturdy box, 7 dice, 64 page rulebook, 96 page DM book, 80 pawns, 8 character sheets (4 blank), one flip mat.

Cheers!

LFK

First Post
Is that a +6 or a +8 to hit with the greatclub? I'm thinking 6. Hopefully it packs a wollup when it does hit. (I roll like crap, so I need every chance I can get to actually hit a PC.)
2d8+4, so yeah, it can ruin someone's evening. Average damage is enough to drop most level 1 and 2 characters, and a crit can straight kill pretty much any level 1 character but a Barbarian. Heck, a Wizard with +0 Con bonus is gonna die to average damage. I guess this means that while lower level creatures have a much longer tail you very much do not want to screw around with higher level creatures, especially at lower levels. Which is weird, and kinda stupid. I mean, those are your intro levels, right? Why would you make starting characters so fragile that, oops, the DM threw in a monster one level higher and it one-shot the Bard/Wizard/Rogue?

I dunno. It doesn't fill me with hope for the encounter building guides being as good as 4th's. 3e's CR was garbage, and I'm really hoping 5th isn't going back to that where CR2 = challenge for 4 level 2 characters. Someone mentioned somewhere, here or Reddit, that 5th's CR is more of a threshold, like "don't use this if the party level is below this number" which I guess would temper that lethality.

Last edited:

Remove ads