• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Starting fresh in 5e and the AL; experience gained questions

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
2 hour APL 2 adventures give 225-300 XP, but APL 3 adventures (which are more typical) give 450-600 XP. Two such adventures would be enough to guarantee level 3.

Sure, but there are two problems with this:

1) We don't know what levels 5-2 and 5-3 are optimized for, which determines the XP range. If they're both level 2 mods, then the OP isn't going to have enough XP to get to level 3 unless he starts 5-2 at level 2.

2) A level 3 mod is surprisingly dangerous even for a level 2 character, and is outright deadly for a level 1. The more XP might be available from the mods being targeted for higher level PCs, the more likely it is that a level 1 or 2 character won't complete it, and thus won't get any rewards.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the OP should have a backup plan in the event that his character doesn't complete the modules as expected -- and the backup plan shouldn't be 'pretend I didn't die in the last adventure'.

--
Pauper

Tony Vargas

Legend
First, a tiny bit of background; I have a ton of experience both playing and DMing for 4e, but haven't really touched 5e at all.
Have you any prior experience with D&D - 3e or AD&D or anything at all pre-4th? It'll make a big difference. Even just having gamed/talked with fans of earlier editions might prove helpful.

Remove ads