Level Up (A5E) State of the Archetypes - Jan 6, 23

xiphumor

Legend
AABF17A3-2250-4F2B-8F3A-CCF82CA21BDA.jpeg

With the release of GPG 11, Berserkers receive their first GPG archetype since GPG 1 (Hopefully we’ll get more than one every ten editions going forward). Meanwhile, Fighters hit the 12 benchmark, and alongside Warlocks are now tied with Marshals for the most GPG archetypes.

Pedantic

Legend
Alright, makes sense, thanks, why are archetypes levels different in all classes I wonder
That's an artifact of base 5e. A5E did experiment with a normalized schedule for archetypes, but ultimately abandoned it to maintain compatibility with existing published archetypes.

arms

Explorer
That's an artifact of base 5e. A5E did experiment with a normalized schedule for archetypes, but ultimately abandoned it to maintain compatibility with existing published archetypes.
makes sense, have found it strange about 5e as well, but I understand that compatibility is important, it's how I ended up finding Level Up

xiphumor

Legend
makes sense, have found it strange about 5e as well, but I understand that compatibility is important, it's how I ended up finding Level Up
As much as I would have loved a normalized schedule, I'll admit that being able to port in O5e subclasses so easily was a big reason I switched and why I was able to convince my players to switch.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'm working toward the point where I can cut the O5e stuff entirely myself, converting any remaining bits to the (IMO) superior Level Up standard.

Remove ads