Stealing Mechanics from Other Systems for 5e

Jimbro

Explorer
So I love to play new games, but 5e has been my game of choice since it came out. I want to steal simple mechanics from other games to bring into my own (like the one unique thing and icon roles from 13th Age). What other mechanics have folks stolen from other systems and brought into their games successfully?

Here's what I wrote on my blog, but I really want to hear what others have done so I can steal for myself!

http://worldbuilderblog.me/2015/11/24/what-can-your-dd-game-steal-from-other-games/

Rhenny

Adventurer
Hi Jimbro,

My group played a little Edge of the Empire (The Star Wars RPG), and we really liked how they used light side and dark side points to alter the story. It is kind of like the optional Plot Points in the DMG, but a little different. In Edge of the Empire, each game session randomly determines how many light side and dark side points are on the table (for example 3 light and 2 dark). Then, at any time, the players can use a light side point to alter the story to their favor (for example, if they are trapped in a room with no exit and it begins to fill with water, they can use the light side point to find a slot in the wall that has an unlocking mechanism). But, once they use their light side point, it switches to a dark side point. On the other hand, the GM/DM can use dark side points to alter the situation too.

We didn't really try it in D&D, but it could be used in D&D for groups that really like to build the story of the game together and do a lot of improvising. Even just starting with 1 light and 1 dark point might be worth a shot for daring DMs.

fjw70

Adventurer
Hi Jimbro,

My group played a little Edge of the Empire (The Star Wars RPG), and we really liked how they used light side and dark side points to alter the story. It is kind of like the optional Plot Points in the DMG, but a little different. In Edge of the Empire, each game session randomly determines how many light side and dark side points are on the table (for example 3 light and 2 dark). Then, at any time, the players can use a light side point to alter the story to their favor (for example, if they are trapped in a room with no exit and it begins to fill with water, they can use the light side point to find a slot in the wall that has an unlocking mechanism). But, once they use their light side point, it switches to a dark side point. On the other hand, the GM/DM can use dark side points to alter the situation too.

We didn't really try it in D&D, but it could be used in D&D for groups that really like to build the story of the game together and do a lot of improvising. Even just starting with 1 light and 1 dark point might be worth a shot for daring DMs.

I have been thinking of using something like this in D&D. The points could alter story or be used to give advantage (like inspiration). Haven't done it yet though. I do like the back and forth of the pool. Maybe even starting with 1 point per player.

I have imported healing surges in from 4e and have done weapons similar to the 4e D&D version of Gamma World.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
I have been thinking of using something like this in D&D. The points could alter story or be used to give advantage (like inspiration). Haven't done it yet though. I do like the back and forth of the pool. Maybe even starting with 1 point per player.

I have imported healing surges in from 4e and have done weapons similar to the 4e D&D version of Gamma World.

I'm liking the notion that Inspiration could be tweaked: to have one point per player and one for the DM a the start of a game session, and then each time a player uses one the DM gains a point to use. So the more the players push their luck, the more the DM can twist outcomes. It would have to have limits on the DM however, so players don't feel unfairly punished for taking risks.

Remove ads