• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Stealth to hide and then attack from hidden

Warskull

First Post
It's a different thing. In this thread, we're not discussing the unique abilities of a Rogue(Assassin), but rather the general idea (usable by anyone) of hiding before attacking.

Of course hiding before attacking is much better if you have Sneak Attack (any Rogue), but anyone can do that and get advantage at least.

A secondary topic of the OP was what happens if you need only dim-light to hide, for example if you have the Stealth feat.

The Assassin's unique ability is a different thing, indeed it's better, that's why you need to be a more specific (and specialized) character to have it :)

Well, I wouldn't worry about the whole hiding in dim light thing, because it sounded like they were getting rid of "dim light vision." We may see the whole dim light mechanic disappear.

Philousk

Explorer
That's actually a pretty cool dynamic, since the rogue's Cunning Action can be used to either hide or​ disengage.

About cunning action I seek your opinion on the term "second action." Does this mean that this action is an additional action or should it necessarily be done in the second? In other words, we perform a normal attack and then another action permitted by the capacity or the opposite is also possible?

Last edited:

About cunning action I seek your opinion on the term "second action." Does this mean that this action is an additional action or should it necessarily be done in the second? In other words, we perform a normal attack and then another action permitted by the capacity or the opposite is also possible?
I'm pretty sure you can do it in either order. At least, that's the way we've been playing it.

I would be surprised if the designers didn't intend for you to spend your Cunning Action to hide, and then make an attack from out of it.

Remove ads