Level Up (A5E) Steampunkette's Writing Requests

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
An article of 5e heritages not yet released with the serial numbers filed off? I'm updating my giant house rule document with those now.
Could be fun! Might change up some names or abilities just to shake some rust off... Adding it to the list.
So I'm a HUGE fan of the Soulknife Class Fantasy, even though it's only been done really well by Dreamscarred in PF1, and I know there is gonna be some Soulknife-ish stuff in Voidrunner Codex, but I love the concept of taking something like Soulknife and treating it as a Maneuver Tradition. Stance that manifests Soulknife and then all the other Maneuvers as shenanigans building on top of the concept of weaponized fighting spirit/soul sword etc. Condensing a Fighting Style/Weapon based Class fantasy into a Tradition would let it stack on top of Classes and Subclasses allowing for an incredible variety of character types. Duelist Fighter Soulknife, Holy Champion Herald Soulknife, Exalted Athlete Adept Soulknife, etc etc. Dunno if it's your vibe or not, but seems worth floating.
Did you perchance see my Awakened Mind tradition? It might have some of what you want in it.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You're in luck! I'll be pitching the Strife Spells at the end of next month. The question is should I go all in on a Strife-Centric article -or- shift things up by making it a "Cruel and Evil Magic" article so there's some not-strife-stuff going into the article, too?

... I am really not sure I could fit that into a 2,000 word article. For comparison, this post (with the embedded quotes) is already almost 400 words long at this point and just getting longer as I respond. Almost a quarter of the article right there, before your very eyes!

However: You've actually struck on the right approach.

Ask your inexperienced player what kind of hero they want to play and then use your greater system mastery to help that character become real. Talk to them about how they grew up, what sort of things their character experienced before becoming a hero, things like that. Flesh out a backstory, then wedge the rest of it into place.

And remember: Just because something doesn't fit doesn't mean it shouldn't be used. Take Backgrounds for example. They're often written in a very specific manner, but that's just one interpretation of how the character gets proficiency in intimidate and the ability to bully themselves into getting free room and board. Change the background to fit the character. That's not an Infamous Pirate, that's the local Bully/Street Tough/Adept of the Bad Guy Dojo that killed the Good Guy Dojo's Master/Whatever.

I guess maybe I could write an article on Fluffery and how to make it work for your characters and players... But I'm not sure it's going to get picked up. Most articles in the GPG are going to be mechanical in nature, even if there's fluff tied to them. Of course, that just means releasing the Fluffery Article myself...
I suppose it depends on the definition of Capital C&E "Cruel & Evil Magic". BoVD was a great book for what it was, but much of it was so dark it was almost unusable on a PC without a situation like the one time I used mindrape on a pc due to going so far past nail biting terror into c ttrpg war crimes. Strife is something I have not yet used at all with fatigue still kinda nibbling around the edges with it as a GM & in both cases it's because I want the players to recognize them as things that are on the table without needing some kind of dual key ICBM launch warning. It probably doesn't matter much if the spells are limited to strife specifically, strife & fatigue, or strife fatigue & whatever one off evil mwhahaha that sprouts up around a spell so much as if most of them fall into the levelup demilich style "ohgodohgodohgod I can see that getting used easily" end of the scale where players can see them getting used by a random badguy in a random filler adventure instead of just by THE BBEG after months of buildup.

Steampunkette

Supporter
I suppose it depends on the definition of Capital C&E "Cruel & Evil Magic". BoVD was a great book for what it was, but much of it was so dark it was almost unusable on a PC without a situation like the one time I used mindrape on a pc due to going so far past nail biting terror into c ttrpg war crimes. Strife is something I have not yet used at all with fatigue still kinda nibbling around the edges with it as a GM & in both cases it's because I want the players to recognize them as things that are on the table without needing some kind of dual key ICBM launch warning. It probably doesn't matter much if the spells are limited to strife specifically, strife & fatigue, or strife fatigue & whatever one off evil mwhahaha that sprouts up around a spell so much as if most of them fall into the levelup demilich style "ohgodohgodohgod I can see that getting used easily" end of the scale where players can see them getting used by a random badguy in a random filler adventure instead of just by THE BBEG after months of buildup.
I don't really feel comfortable, myself, writing things like -that- into the world as a -designer-. I more mean like Cruel and Evil from the Narrator's position.

Hitting someone with 3d6 damage means they need a little healing. Stealing 3 Hit Dice from the Berserker, though, means a lot more "Real Harm" over the course of the rest of the adventuring day, since that's 3d12+9 or whatever hit points, they just don't harm you -right now-. Instead it limits your future potential.

Getting levels of Strife really sucks while you're fighting as it limits your options... but it -also- screws you up in various social encounters that happen after the fighting has ended. Same thing with Fatigue or spells that otherwise limit your ability to use mental and physical attributes well.

I'm not looking for Edgy evil or Pure darkness. Not something to chase players away from the table with or require consent sheets to cast.

The "Ugliest" one of the bunch is the 8th level spell "Corrupt" which is this:
Twisting and writhing words roll out of you, hateful speech of the most ancient tongue, words unknown even to you as this spell takes effect and is unleashed in a voice not your own corrupts your target to the core of their being. What you touch with this spell hears your call of horror.
And in addition to applying multiple levels of strife to your target, does this to you:
Casting this spell marks you by otherworldly forces, and are treated as though you have the Evil alignment trait in addition to any other alignment traits you may possess until someone casts the Atonement spell upon you.
'Cause all of them are written as curses, essentially. The sort of thing a Night Hag might spit at someone before the hag gets beheaded.

I also particularly like that it's a -spell- with the same level of roleplay opportunity increase as playing the Warlock or Cleric class, where there's now otherworldly entities paying attention to you...

Might write a spell which is explicitly "Apply the Doomed condition to target creature" as the ultimate Cruel spell. That character -will- die, but not yet. Disintegrate and Power Word Kill are cool and all, but -doomed- on command? OOF. Especially when used by the Narrator -against- the Party. Fire that off as a parting shot when the party is escaping the BBEG's castle and give one of the party members a few moments to dramatically say goodbye before they're killed?

Yes, please.

Steampunkette

Supporter
So here's my current slate:

3) Concept Winnowing Phrases (Making Mad-Libs work for newbie players)
4) Heritages of Myth and Legend (Centaurs, Satyrs, Minotaurs, Tritons, possibly with a couple of cultures)
5) Heritages of the Forlorn (Goblins, Kobolds, Shapeshifters, Serpentborn)

I currently have one article in next month's Gate Pass Gazette (Comes out soon!) and my next article isn't in until Issue 5. We're also not allowed to have back-to-back articles, so the earliest I could be in would be 7. So the earliest one of these articles could hit would be...

September. Then November, January, March, and May. Assuming they -all- pass the pitch phase.

Otherwise I'll release 'em myself in late May or early June.

Last edited:

Steampunkette

Supporter
Would these be an alternate take to the ones in Zeitgeist?
Absolutely. Specifically this would conform more to the version of Goblins in the Monstrous Menagerie, for example. Less "Beastmastery" more "Liminal Space occupying people who long for joy". Less of a setting-specific take, more of an A5e in General take. Minotaurs as actual Large Creatures for players to use, rather than medium sized people with horned animal heads... things like that.

The Minotaurs would also probably be a different take from the Sins of the Scorpion Age version, as well. More classic "Can't get lost in a maze" minotaurs.

That said... I'm open to doing different heritages if these aren't the ones Micah's looking for. Didn't really get a list so I just went for conceptual groupings.

GuyBoy

Hero
Spirits of Blood and Land;
That feeling you get when you walk down a sunken footpath at night, and know it follows a ley line.
That sense of those who came before when you look at an ancient megalith.
That kinship you feel with the blade of your sword or spear, like a trusted friend, when you are alone
When the cat at your hearth looks at something you cannot see.

Something about the role of nature or other spirits and their interactions with characters, which may be both positive and negative.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
Take the Chaplain herald and run with it in whatever direction you want :) You have my blessing, and if I see it in GPG, I will point at it and say, "Hah! It was a good idea!"

I've been tinkering with a warlock that gets a minion—kind of like Beastmaster, but with a customizable aberration/undead. So I wouldn't recommend warlock specifically, but I love all archetypes that grant a permanent minion.

In particular, I like minions that feel like an extension of their master, if that makes sense, and will get excited for one regardless of the class. (For an example of what I mean, something in between Beastmaser/Stitcher "pets" and Echo Knight Echo. On one end, the Echo from Echo Knight fighter [love that archetype—a few balancing issues with some of its abilities, but honestly I personally would never change it] allows you to create a thing that you manipulate that really and truly feels like an extension of you... but it's not really a minion or it's own creature. On the other end of the spectrum, the Beastmaster ranger and the Stitcher artificer both have "pets" that supplement the master, but feel very much like their own thing. I like ideas that run in the middle for any given class, a minion that is capable of doing its own thing [and that grows and changes as the master levels up rather than remaining mostly static save for improving hit points or whatever] but has features that actively reward the master and minion for doing things in concert with each other. Be really interested to see what someone else's take on something like this would be.)

honestly i'd just love to see anything western or victorian themed (or space themed, but we're already getting the voidrunner's codex so i guess that itch is gonna get scratched real well). equipment, backgrounds, anything. a more martial focused artificer subclass would also be cool. maybe even put them together...gunsmithing artificer subclass?

Remove ads