Steeldance from MoF

Ok this spell basically causes two of your daggers to grow into swords then fly out and attack for you.

The spell mentions the AC, hitpoints, and hardness of the swords as well as the damage they do and the threat range for crits.

What it does not say is what they attack as.

Do the swords attack as if you were wielding them with all of your bonuses? Or do they attack with no bonuses at all?

If they attack with no bonuses at all then this is a useless 3rd level spell. Without any bonuses to hit this spell will do little good except against goblins and other pathetic foes.

Victim

First Post
They are treated as medium animated objects, meaning that they have a slam attack at +2. I'm not impressed either.

kreynolds

First Post
It is a 3rd level spell after all. You can't expect too much out of it. Besides, if you cast magic weapon and keen edge on them, they're not that bad, especially not for a 3rd level spell.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
kreynolds said:
It is a 3rd level spell after all. You can't expect too much out of it. Besides, if you cast magic weapon and keen edge on them, they're not that bad, especially not for a 3rd level spell.

A third level spell should be fairly potent. Who would ever memorize that junk over a fire, l-bolt, dispel-magic, hold person, suggestion, fly, haste or slow?

I sure wouldn't.

--Wizzy Spikey

Ysgarran

kreynolds said:
Ok. So don't. Problem solved.

I have to say this kind of response do not add anything to the conversation. If you don't really want to argue the merits of whether a spell is balanced or not then state your opinion that is balanced leave it at that.

The goal is to keep the signal to noise ratio low, responses like yours (and, yes, this message also) only raise the signal to noise ratio.

kreynolds

First Post
I just disagree, that's all. Look at it like this. If you have memorized this spell three times, that means you can create 6 swords to float around and attack anyone you want. You don't even have to concentrate. I agree that the base attack bonus is pretty low for the swords, but the spell does say you can enhance them with other spells.

On the point of base attack bonuses for the swords. From what I can tell, any spell that creates or allows a weapon to attack at your attack bonus or better generally requires concentration. I think that's why the swords in this spell have such a poor attack bonus.

Is that better, Ysgarran? I agree, my post was wasting space. My bad.

Jotun

First Post
Would this spell be good with an enlarge spell cast on one of the swords? Do you think that the two swords could set up a flank against the target? That could give them some more bonuses to attack rolls at least.

Remove ads