• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"STEP AWAY FROM THE LICH CROWN"!!!....

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
I'm sticking by my guns. First person to try that hat on gets a touch-attack heal spell, then a greater turning.

I'm a Radiant Servant of Pelor. Me bring light, me heal party, me smash undead...

Let's be fair; between that and the staff, there couldn't be a much more divisive item. Apart, perhaps, from a +5 ring of protection, or something which we'd all want!

frankthedm

First Post
A item like that is a real good way to ferret out players who have the video game mindset of Power is all that matters.

Sweet Jesus, if someone puts that thing on, they are going to BE the replacement body for the previous owner. That I.D. result is exactly what i expect for that effect.

Eccles, save your spell, damage does not help turn something later.. Go with your super-solar turning in round one.

Last edited:

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Darmanicus said:
By your reasoning then so would be turning into any evil creature. What all of a sudden makes turning into a lich different to turning into any other type of evil creature? I think yer answer to that one is "Uh, I don't know but I'll still try making vague arguments."

Did I miss something or is it ok to turn into any type of evil creature other than undead?

Much as I appreciated yer summoning of a FIENDISH T'REX by yer reckoning then maybe I should be smiting yer unholy ass!?

Maybe I'm not the one who has problems with semantics? :)

Less vague answers as to why it's wrong for a paladin to turn into a lich?

IT'S PLAIN WRONG!

Anyway:

I'm dubious about changing shape into evil creatures. There's the problem of how people you meet will react to you. And I wonder if you don't pick up some traits from it...

The crown is also more potent than what you can do with a normal polymorph. The wearer takes on all the powers of a lich... The Polymorph spell only gives you a very small selection of them. This is a much stronger and more complete change?

It also gives you a short cut to owning a phalyctery. That is a process that 'normally' takes an evil ritual, 100,000+ GP of materials and a bucket of Xp. That's some serious evil power to be meddling with. Now, think about evil items - the more powerful they are, the less well it ends for the user?

Just had a thought - - you're not trying to get a new sponsor, are you? I'm wondering if the snappy dressing and fancy parades of the Cult of Asmodeus has you envious. :uhoh:

You obviously want to try it... so I figure here's 3 options:

1) Swallow your curiosity and get rid of it.

2) Try it yourself - be prepared for an 'I told you so' reaction when it all goes wrong and the previous occupant hijacks your brain. I'll be upset when Reliq's dead, I like him. :(

3) Try it on someone else. You'll know what it does? Although you (might) lose all your powers?

Fiendish T'Rex - couldn't summon such a thing, even if I wanted to... Pseudonatural I can do... May look similar to the untrained eye, but mine are decidedly neutral? :D

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
frankthedm said:
A item like that is a real good way to ferret out players who have the video game mindset of Power is all that matters.

Sweet Jesus, if someone puts that thing on, they are going to BE the replacement body for the previous owner. That I.D. result is exactly what i expect for that effect.

Eccles, save your spell, damage does not help turn something later.. Go with your super-solar turning in round one.

Just noticed that... I'd agree - if they're lucky. :D

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Slife said:
Try it on some animal first. That is, if you don't have a druid in your party. Either you find that it's reversible, or you get some easy XP for killing a squirrelich. Win-Win

Oo squirrelich, I want one! :cool:

Darmanicus

Nightfall said:
Dar,

If you want to spend the time and money to sanctify it, be my guest. Otherwise, I'd get Raziel to help you find a nice artifact level holy avenger and go from there.

Might just have picked up something like that, I'll find out on Tuesday.

Darmanicus

Fiendish T'Rex - couldn't summon such a thing, even if I wanted to... Pseudonatural I can do... May look similar to the untrained eye, but mine are decidedly neutral? :D

Apologies, that was the mage.

Anyways, I'm not desperate to try it on which is why I started the thread in the 1st place and stated that maybe I shouldn't be its advocate, I just wanted ideas from people.

I don't know what everyone's going on about anyways I've been polymorphed into FAR worse than a Lich, I'm now a female version of that damned sorcerer!!! :lol: :(

ARandomGod

First Post
Nightfall said:
Uhm excuse me? Yes hi. As a DM I just question the fact that ANY player would WANT to be a lich. I mean sure if you're a necromancer, determined to fight off death, that's fine. But some little pip-squeak wizard wants to try out a crown that can change him INTO a lich and DOESN'T think it's evil?! Please. Roll me a common sense check people!

If you find a ring that changes you into a Solar, different story but a lich? Dude I'm seeing "I am an evil plot device!" written all over it.

Btw if you want to take down the Lich Queen, just as Raziel if he can take a day off to hunt down the Queen for you. Tell him you'll fight the Blood War for him. That will keep him happy. :p :)

Oh, any mage player would *want* to be a lich, if he could get it without the level adjustment penalty that's built into the process (and without the vague "this is evil"). On the other hand, I definitely agree with you. This definitely does have "this is an evil plot device" written on it.

Sejs said:
Take a moment to think like a DM. Anything that powerful has to have some form of drawback built in or you'd never have had a chance to get your grubby little adventurer's mitts on it, right? I mean other than the fact that there's, as you said, a very powerful cleric of Pelor ... a god known for his hatred of the undead... who can and will blast you to smithereens should someone use said item.

And here's also my reason. Something that powerful will have a drawback. Probably a powerful one. The PC *should* run. On the other hand, that's metagame thinking. The player running the PC should run. The PC himself should look at the plot device, accept what fate has in store for him, and put on that terribly cursed device.

frankthedm said:

A very likely possibility. But does the PC see it that way? I mean, he *thinks* that he can turn back at will... "I can quit anytime I want." He's a mage, probably very confident in his ability to handle arcane identifications and powers.

Wait... it IS a mage who 'wants' it, right?

ARandomGod

First Post
Darmanicus said:
Apologies, that was the mage.

Anyways, I'm not desperate to try it on which is why I started the thread in the 1st place and stated that maybe I shouldn't be its advocate, I just wanted ideas from people.

I don't know what everyone's going on about anyways I've been polymorphed into FAR worse than a Lich, I'm now a female version of that damned sorcerer!!! :lol: :(

Oh yea. It's going to do something bad to your PC> However... does your PC think he can handle it? We're not talking how much willpower do YOU have, but how much does the character have? I can really see him keeping this item, working up a couple of custom illusion spells to seem still alive while polymorphed... and putting it on. You can fool that foolish cleric. It's none of his business anyway.

radferth

First Post
I'm not convinced it is a good idea even viewed from a powergame perspective. Being a lich may seem cool, but most of the powers really don't help you that much, and you are only one rebuke away from turning that yummy lichness on your friends and/or becoming the permanent slave of some Nerull-worshipping sociopath. Besides, turning into undead next to a radiant servant of Pelor is not exactly smart tactics, if the Pelorite is playing even vaguely in character. I'd be leary of altering or even disguising self into and orc near a ranger with that as a favored enemy, and no one thinks of that as evil.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads