• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"STEP AWAY FROM THE LICH CROWN"!!!....

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
frankthedm said:
Eccles, save your spell, damage does not help turn something later.. Go with your super-solar turning in round one.

Don't worry... I'd quicken the spell. I've got a lot of twisted feats, and doing 150 damage to the lich ought to help the fighters I'd have to blackmail into helping!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
the Jester said:
Question: if the circlet functions as a phylactery, where's the last wearer? :]

That was my first thought, too. Maybe the last owner died while not wearing it. But, what happens if the owner is struck down wearing it? A normal phylactery will have the lich possess some hapless passerby, right? But this one isn't normal. It may not have the lich posess anyone until they put on the crown...

Also note - depending upon the rules you play by and the spells used - some magics only give you the most obvious basic function of the item. In this case - polymorphs you into a lich. What if there's another, less obvious feature - akin to a helm of opposite alignment...

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Nightfall said:
Btw if you want to take down the Lich Queen, just as Raziel if he can take a day off to hunt down the Queen for you. Tell him you'll fight the Blood War for him. That will keep him happy. :p :)

This Lich Queen is not exactly the same one as in the old books I think, our DM has basically stolen some ideas from various planescape book and other sources and homebrewed it all. He likes to use others ideas, a few of his own, toss 'em all in the cauldron and stir 'em up to come up with something we can only guess at. I personally like this sort of DM'ing because it keeps us VERY much on our toes.

Btw Raziel asked me to take her out which is kinda worrying but I'm well up fer it. We've 'survived' one encounter with the beatch and now we've got a nsaty little surprise in store for her once we've recovered her phylactery!!!

Anyways I'm all fer converting/destroying the damned thing now. I thought that maybe our DM was throwing us a weapon one of us could use in the battle against the Lich Queen however that's probably me just being a little bit naive and hopefull, (I'm a trusting/stupid sort.....ah well).

So order of the day will be to get the thing to a temple and get them to legend lore it, commune etc. to explore every possibility. If it could be converted then it could be a very potent tool for the powers of good, (instead of granting lichiness, it could grant you the 'deathless' subtype from BoED or maybe uber deathward effect and additional anti undead powers, who knows?). Someone mentioned the current lich owner; maybe a legend lore or other divinations might reveal that information and maybe that lich wants the queen destroyed because they are ancient enemies?

Many possibilities do I see.

ARandomGod

First Post
Umbran said:
That was my first thought, too. Maybe the last owner died while not wearing it. But, what happens if the owner is struck down wearing it? A normal phylactery will have the lich possess some hapless passerby, right? But this one isn't normal. It may not have the lich posess anyone until they put on the crown...

Also note - depending upon the rules you play by and the spells used - some magics only give you the most obvious basic function of the item. In this case - polymorphs you into a lich. What if there's another, less obvious feature - akin to a helm of opposite alignment...

And even under normal rules, some higher level magic items can't be completely identified... (artifact level). Perhaps this is a minor artifact that has that as a disguise (or lure) dweomer on it. Meant to be identified as something useful?

Fangorn Athran

First Post
I am assuming it polymorhps as the polymorhs self spell. If this is the case there really isn't any point to this argument. The spell clearly states that no special abillities are gained and the mental state of said creature is the same. So by changing into a lich it would give you the appearance and attibute modifiers but you wouldn't get any of the abilities a lich gets therefore alingment wouldn't change.

Darmanicus

Fangorn Athran said:
I am assuming it polymorhps as the polymorhs self spell. If this is the case there really isn't any point to this argument. The spell clearly states that no special abillities are gained and the mental state of said creature is the same. So by changing into a lich it would give you the appearance and attibute modifiers but you wouldn't get any of the abilities a lich gets therefore alingment wouldn't change.

IIRC our DM stated that it gives you all the abilities of a Lich including downsides but no spellcasting.

Fangorn Athran

First Post
Darmanicus said:
IIRC our DM stated that it gives you all the abilities of a Lich including downsides but no spellcasting.
Sorry didn't know, but in that case I would say that it is wrong for a paladin to turn into a lich and the Pelorian cleric has all right to turn him into a heap of ash.

Darmanicus

Fangorn Athran said:
Sorry didn't know, but in that case I would say that it is wrong for a paladin to turn into a lich and the Pelorian cleric has all right to turn him into a heap of ash.

I never said I wanted to turn into a Lich. :confused:

the Jester

Legend
Darmanicus said:
I never said I wanted to turn into a Lich. :confused:

Yes you did! I heard you say it yesterday! You were like, "Man, I want to turn into a lich, that would be so cool, then I could flip out and kill people."

:lol:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads