• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sticking w/ 3.5: Any Publishers?

Aus_Snow

First Post
drothgery said:
It's $5000 to do 4e this year and get an advance copy of the 4e rules; after that, it's free, though what you can do is likely somewhat more restricted than what you can do with 3.5/the d20 SRD. Exact terms haven't been announced.
It's definitely a lot more restricted, for the foreseeable future. In fact, that is rather something of an understatement.

That is, until (zero or more) new, less restrictive versions of the license crop up, some time or other, *possibly* with the release of 'd20 Modern 2.0' for instance, whenever that might or might not be. *If* they do, they *allegedly* *might* allow 3rd-party publishers an as yet undecided or undisclosed degree of *relative* freedom in terms of the material they may publish. . . like say, stuff not *directly* compatible with D&D 4e.

Or so it seems at this stage.

defendi

Explorer
Final Redoubt Press intends to continue producing 3.5 materials. Now we don't know what the GSL will say, so if there are restrictions there, we'll need to abide by them, but I'm against discontinuing a line in the middle of a series, and we just released part 4 of a ten parter.

www.finalredoubt.com

That said, it will all depend on the GSL. It might say we can't release materials for the same world in 4e, since they're already out in 3.5. It might say we can but we have to discontinue the 3.5 material. We'll have to see.

But right now we're producing The Echoes of Heaven for 4 game systems. 5 would barely slow us down. Especially if one of them sell well enough I can start out-sourcing pagemaking. :)

As for sales, my sales increased after the 4th ed announcement. We're in a slump right now, but its after Christmas. I suspect I'll be raking it in again when product 5 hits. :)

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Arthnek said:
Just thought I would chime in.

There are plenty of companies out there doing wonderful table top rpgs that have nothing to do with 3rd or 4th edition too.

Cortex comes to mind. Hero, Gurps, CofC, Savage Worlds, etc.. etc...

In fact there are more game systems to choose from now than ever before.

Yeah, but the thing is, I like d20 and I don't like any of those games listed (especially Gurps and Savage Worlds and except CofC if by that you mean Call of Cthulhu, though I actually use d20 to run that since I don't like BRP.)

I'm sure I'm not alone. It's like when Coca Cola decided to change formulas. If you didn't like New Coke, sure you could drink Pepsi or Tab or Mr Pibb or RC, but a lot of people missed the old Coke.

Sunderstone

First Post
Meh, I bet if Paizo, Necromancer, and Goodman stayed 3.5 (at least till the 4E dust settled) for awhile, they would still do well. Seems most folks agree that they put out great stuff.

I know Id still be buying their stuff at least. :cool:

Erik Mona said:
I've heard this from a lot of quarters, but in the interest of providing a full picture, I've got to report that Paizo's sales have not seen significant drops since the 4.0 announcement.

Lest anyone get the idea that there's no market for 3.5 material, I'm here to tell you that it simply isn't true.

I was certainly expecting our pdf sales to drop off after the 4E announcement, but it hasn't happened. They've in fact remained strangely (almost predictably) stable for the last six or eight months. All the more surprising because we haven't released any new products until last week.

BoXM has seen a first few days of sales that rival any e-book that we've ever done.

I suppose it should be no surprise that, despite the fact that they've basically been told to stop, people are still gaming and still need gaming material.

It's very likely that in the future I'll occasionally do a small 3E d20 product for fun every great once in a while (like BoXM). It's not my main focus anymore, but it's a pretty fun diversion from other kinds of work, and I predict they're still be an audience for it. If there's not, then I'll stop, no harm done.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Monte At Home said:
BoXM has seen a first few days of sales that rival any e-book that we've ever done.

As just one of many who chimed in with interest and intent to pick it up (and I have) I am glad it's working out.

It's encouraging on a lot of levels.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Monte At Home said:
I suppose it should be no surprise that, despite the fact that they've basically been told to stop, people are still gaming and still need gaming material.

I am not sure that memo has circulated quite as widely as some would have us believe.

Roman

First Post
Monte At Home said:

If I decide to stay with 3.5 edition than I will certainly pick up the book and that's saying a lot, as I generally don't buy from 3rd party publishers at all. I wanted to do the spell level = caster level thing for a long time now, but it would be a lot of work to convert all the spells myself and devise a new resource management system (though I suppose using spell points would do the trick).

Nlogue

First Post
A new company is opening up in April (that's when their website goes live) called Sinister Adventures that will be supporting 3.5...in fact I think one of their tag lines is "Three Pointe Five Never Dies."

I'm working on two Huge projects for them right now. 3.5 will stick around methinks.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Nlogue said:
A new company is opening up in April (that's when their website goes live) called Sinister Adventures that will be supporting 3.5...in fact I think one of their tag lines is "Three Pointe Five Never Dies."

I'm working on two Huge projects for them right now. 3.5 will stick around methinks.

I saw their ad in the last Kobold Quarterly, and was quite impressed. It left me wanting to know more about the company, and I haven't been able to find anything thus far. Thanks for at least giving us a target month to find out more about them! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads