D&D (2024) Stone Goliath, Fire Goliath, Frost Goliath, Hill Goliath, Cloud Goliath, and Storm Goliath Lore

So okay all the previous built up Goliath lore was for what are now called Stone Goliaths, with a host of lore based around a very nomadic libertarian mountainous society but now we have 5 new kinds of Goliaths with no lore except some kind of relation to the main Giant types.

So what kind of Lore Societies do you think we will get in RD&D beyond just basic living with their giant kin?

Will Glory of the Giants touch apon the new kinds of Goliaths before they come out in the 2024 PHB?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
There's space to at least somewhat interesting, I think:

Fire Goliath: Nomadic sea-faring people roaming volcanic archipelagoes.

Storm Goliath: Living in the maws on giant whales.

Frost Goliath: Maybe inspired by Sami or Inuit peoples? Ride giant elks can read auspice in auroras.

Cloud Goliath: Living at the top of giant arroyos, ''herding'' clouds to gather the rainwater.

Stone: as presented

Hill Goliath: Plain runners and emissaries between humans and the lesser giants they often encounter (ogre, trolls etc)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It will be interesting to see what Bigby has to say about Goliaths: they aren't reprinting the Species there from MotM or preprinted the new PHB options, but we are getting Firbolg and Goliath bestiary entries, so we might get some lore about how Goliaths fit into the Oredning and where they come from.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I do hope that Bigby's gives us some new Goliath lore. We might even see the new goliaths in that book before we get them in the PHB as well.

As for societies, it would be interesting if they tend to be the opposites of the giants. Stone Giants are peaceful artisans, Stone Goliath are athletic and stern. Fire Giants are martial forgers, Fire Goliath are philosophers and sages. It would be a funny take on symmetry

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
It will be interesting to see what Bigby has to say about Goliaths: they aren't reprinting the Species there from MotM or preprinted the new PHB options, but we are getting Firbolg and Goliath bestiary entries, so we might get some lore about how Goliaths fit into the Oredning and where they come from.
I'm rather saddened that we aren't getting Firbolg and Goliath as playable species in Bigby's.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm rather saddened that we aren't getting Firbolg and Goliath as playable species in Bigby's.
They didn't reprint any Specie from Monsters of the Multiverse in Spelljammer, either, methinks that may be their standard going forwards.
If they have the '24 goliath nailed down, I wouldn't be against getting them early in Bigby's (same with '24 tieflings in Planescape), but I don't see much benefit to simply reprinting the existing versions so soon after getting them in Monsters of the Multiverse.
We already have a rundown of the contents of the book, no playable Species at all.

Remove ads