D&D (2024) Stone Goliath, Fire Goliath, Frost Goliath, Hill Goliath, Cloud Goliath, and Storm Goliath Lore

We already have a rundown of the contents of the book, no playable Species at all.
Mostly just speaking in the hypothetical - an updated goliath with the full range of giant ancestry options would have been thematically appropriate for Bigby's in the way the variant dragonborn were for Fizban's.

Presumably the '24 goliath came to be too far into the production schedule to reallocate page space, make additional art orders, etc., and the fact that they've also been earmarked for the '24 PHB makes it less necessary to try to fit them in now.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Mostly just speaking in the hypothetical - an updated goliath with the full range of giant ancestry options would have been thematically appropriate for Bigby's in the way the variant dragonborn were for Fizban's.

Presumably the '24 goliath came to be too far into the production schedule to reallocate page space, make additional art orders, etc., and the fact that they've also been earmarked for the '24 PHB makes it less necessary to try to fit them in now.
Yeah, sounds about right. And as for Firbolg...it just seems to me that WotC us serious about Monsters of the Multiverse being the go-to for Soecies options outside the PHB.

Yeah, sounds about right. And as for Firbolg...it just seems to me that WotC us serious about Monsters of the Multiverse being the go-to for Soecies options outside the PHB.
Pretty much - Monsters of the Multiverse has been framed from the start as a setting neutral resource for PC race/species options, so unless there's an update in the works that's too involved for a simple errata pass, there's not much reason to reprint the options in MotM so soon.

Adding a "pick your ancestry" choice to a race/species that didn't previously have one - a la the '24 iterations of goliath and tiefling - crosses that threshold for me, but there's no sign that they have anything new planned for firbolgs to my knowledge.

Pretty much - Monsters of the Multiverse has been framed from the start as a setting neutral resource for PC race/species options, so unless there's an update in the works that's too involved for a simple errata pass, there's not much reason to reprint the options in MotM so soon.

Adding a "pick your ancestry" choice to a race/species that didn't previously have one - a la the '24 iterations of goliath and tiefling - crosses that threshold for me, but there's no sign that they have anything new planned for firbolgs to my knowledge.

Personally expecting you to own MotM to play classic Planescape races in addition to the slipcase would be just plain wrong. At minimium there should variant Aasimar & Genasi.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Personally expecting you to own MotM to play classic Planescape races in addition to the slipcase would be just plain wrong. At minimium there should variant Aasimar & Genasi.
They didn't include Gith in Spelljammer, despite including info on Gith ships, stay blocks, and Adventure material. They would have fit as well as Aasimar or Genasi in Planescape.

For Planetouched vibes, the Feat trees from Unearthed Arcana are probably where this book goes. Those Dpevird options are in the big book of multiversal D&D PC options already.

I mean, sure, but expecting them to devote their limited page space to covering racial options that they have already covered multiple times over the course of the edition and relatively recently collected in a product that largely exists for the purpose of serving as a unified source for setting-neutral racial options is fundamentally unrealistic.

If they're adding something new to the race, like different Upper Plane variants for the Aasimar to parallel the '24 Tiefling or Para/Quasi-Genasi subtypes, then it can be justified, but I don't see them reprinting options that exist in MotM just for the sake of reprinting them.

Last edited:

I feel it would be a greater injustice to include them! Don’t waste page count for things I already have!!

Not everyone else has that, alot of folks don't, perhaps it would be better to think of others then yourself. Like I have Aasimar, but I don't begrudge their stat block or a variant version being in the book given Aasimar lore is going to be in it anyways, and a race stat block is a tiny amount of space. Requiring something other then the PHB/SRD and Planescape to use Planescape is not right.

I mean, sure, but expecting them to devote their limited page space to covering racial options that they have already covered multiple times over the course of the edition and relatively recently collected in a product that largely exists for the purpose of serving as a unified source for setting-neutral racial options is fundamentally unrealistic.

If they're adding something new to the race, like different Upper Plane variants for the Aasimar to parallel the '24 Tiefling or Para/Quasi-Genasi subtypes, then it can be justified, but I don't see them reprinting options that exist in MotM just for the sake of reprinting them.

Variants are acceptable, and would be cool. Honestly in some ways I actually like the OG Ardling features better for Aasimar then MotM or VGtM because it ties better into the setting lore wise.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
So okay all the previous built up Goliath lore was for what are now called Stone Goliaths, with a host of lore based around a very nomadic libertarian mountainous society but now we have 5 new kinds of Goliaths with no lore except some kind of relation to the main Giant types.

So what kind of Lore Societies do you think we will get in RD&D beyond just basic living with their giant kin?

Will Glory of the Giants touch apon the new kinds of Goliaths before they come out in the 2024 PHB?
Did I miss an announcement that this is what they're doing? I mean, it makes sense, I just don't recall seeing that.

I home-brewed a full array of half-giant subraces a few years back, so I'm curious to see what they do with this.

Remove ads