D&D (2024) Stone Goliath, Fire Goliath, Frost Goliath, Hill Goliath, Cloud Goliath, and Storm Goliath Lore

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not everyone else has that, alot of folks don't, perhaps it would be better to think of others then yourself. Like I have Aasimar, but I don't begrudge their stat block or a variant version being in the book given Aasimar lore is going to be in it anyways, and a race stat block is a tiny amount of space. Requiring something other then the PHB/SRD and Planescape to use Planescape is not right.
Having certain Species options isn't necessary to use Planescape. Folks who have MotM have an array of options thst can fit in Planescape, the Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, Greyhawk, or wherever. Modrons are pretty Planescape specific, but you could have an all-Human party in a Planescape game. MotM is for people who want thst wide array of options, and it's not necessary to reprint incidental options from it.

Not everyone else has that, alot of folks don't, perhaps it would be better to think of others then yourself. Like I have Aasimar, but I don't begrudge their stat block or a variant version being in the book given Aasimar lore is going to be in it anyways, and a race stat block is a tiny amount of space. Requiring something other then the PHB/SRD and Planescape to use Planescape is not right.
I am thinking of others, all the people who have the books with them in it already.

Don’t assume your opinion is the only way to look at things. There is no right or wrong side of this, just different opinions. That was what bothered me with your post. It is not wrong of them, it is just something you don’t like - which is ok. However, it not some cosmic wrong.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Yes, packet 3 of the Playtest put out a Goliath with a variety of subtypes, which WotC said scored well and will be in the new PHB.
Thanks for that!

Looking at the goliaths write-up in that playtest packet, I think what they've done is pretty elegant.

My write-ups were in the 2014 style, with a few additional traits for each "sub-race". I kind of prefer having the latter, with more ways to differentiate them, but they seem to want to streamline things for 2024, and they also want more races in the new PHB, so what they've proposed in the packet makes sense. It will be easy to homebrew some tweaks if I want.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Thanks for that!

Looking at the goliaths write-up in that playtest packet, I think what they've done is pretty elegant.

My write-ups were in the 2014 style, with a few additional traits for each "sub-race". I kind of prefer having the latter, with more ways to differentiate them, but they seem to want to streamline things for 2024, and they also want more races in the new PHB, so what they've proposed in the packet makes sense. It will be easy to homebrew some tweaks if I want.
Yeah, "Subrace" as a mechanic seems to be gone as of Monsters of the Multiverse, but these sorts of.variants are probably more scalable anyways.

The Goliath options are solid, really, and provide good distinction without too much cruft.

Yeah, "Subrace" as a mechanic seems to be gone as of Monsters of the Multiverse, but these sorts of.variants are probably more scalable anyways.
Maybe not described using that specific term, but we're still getting elves with a built-in high/wood/dark choice, tieflings with a infernal/abyssal/chthonic choice, and so on, so the idea is sticking around to some degree even if the language describing it is being refined.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Maybe not described using that specific term, but we're still getting elves with a built-in high/wood/dark choice, tieflings with a infernal/abyssal/chthonic choice, and so on, so the idea is sticking around to some degree even if the language describing it is being refined.
Right, but I mean the sort of regularity across the board mechanic: Gnome variants, Elf variants, Tiefling variants, Daggonborn variants, and Goliath variants arr now more bespoke to the specific Species design, less cookie cutter.

Remove ads